close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Trade question...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by skud_dusty, Feb 20, 2010.

1. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    Well the 1911 bug has bit me again and it's time to finally put the bug to rest. Unfortunately our financials don't quite allow me to run out and buy a new pistol, so I've got to trade something off before I pick up my new toy. I've got a home-built AR15 that I don't have a ton of money in, but it's not exactly a cheap POS either. I received an offer for a Springfield Loaded, and I'd like to get GT's opinion on it.

Now I should also include that I'm not a big fan of stainless guns. It will probably end up being a carry gun, so the extra corrosion resistance might be nice.

Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pictures I received are a little higher res. Everything looks fairly nice, it's got a few scratches here and there but nothing major that I can see. Seller also offered to throw in 150 rounds of fmj.

2. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    What's the realistic price that you could sell your AR for locally?

3. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

Apr 24, 2005
    In my little corner of the midwest, the AR market seems to be just about saturated. A friend of mine recently sold an M&P15 to a buddy for what he paid for it, then turned around and bought a brand new replacement from the same retailer he bought the first for less money this time. Rumor has it that a major retailer in the area bought up up many used ARs at the beginning of the Obama-inspired panic at higher prices than they can get for them now. Ultimately if you don't have a lot into your AR, are not going to really miss it when its gone, and want the Springfield really bad, then I'd say trade and enjoy the 1911.

4. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    Realistically between $600 and $700. The market in my area is really screwy at the moment. "Cheap" ARs aren't selling for much, while decent ARs are commanding a lot more than I believe they are worth.

Locally 1911s are commanding outrageous prices. $400-500 for a used Rock Island is not unheard of and they sell fairly quickly at that price. I remember seeing RIAs at $300...not anymore. I could probably clean up the 1911 in question and get $700 from it locally I've seen loaded models sell easily for $700-800.

I don't really have a spot for my AR. Yes it's nice to have one, but I much prefer pistols to rifles. I have other rifles that will fill the AR's small niche in my collection and at this point I feel like I have one just for the sake of having one.

Honestly if the pistol in question were not stainless steel I would be all over it. It is marked USA on the frame, so that's a plus for me. I guess I'm just really torn on having a stainless pistol. I'd like this one to be a keeper, and not just trade fodder till I find what I really want. :dunno:

5. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    Well disregard this post, the trader wanted me to meet him out at some snow park in the middle of nowhere. Not gonna happen.

6. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    Probably has some good old country loven' in mind.

I have that exact gun, and I also have some AR rifles.
    While I love the the 1911, I probably wouldn't trade a rifle for one unless it was a real nice Colt or something.

7. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    Well he ended up emailing me back offering to meet at a more public place. Turns out he just hates the city and found the closest to exactly half way that we could meet...it just happened to be out in BFE :lol:

Really nice guy, glad it worked out. She needs cleaned up but it's a really straight pistol with VERY minimal play. He also threw in a decent little holster and 200 rounds of ammo for my troubles.

All in all I'm really happy. While I like the idea of having an AR, I'm honestly a bit of a FUDD and enjoy pistols more.

[​IMG]

8. Mike,

I think you did very well. I'd trade a home built AR-15 any day for a SA Loaded. :whistling:

9. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    if you don't like the shiny stainless, just bead (glass) blast it to a matte finish like the TRP's.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  10. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    I really wasn't into the AR that much; I have roughly $600 into this SA. Took her apart and cleaned her up a bit, she's got a few scratches here and there but nothing major. If I got the inclination I could probably buff em all out but it's going to be an all around shooter so I don't care that much.

The PO removed the ILS which I like even though the new MSH fits pretty crappy. As long as she runs that's all that matters :)

11. gconan

gconan

May 1, 2000
    Congratulations! I used to own 2 Loaded's, the 45 was totally reliable!

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Good idea

13. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    Well here's some new pictures. Need to clean up the scratches someday but at the moment I'm just happy to have her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jason D

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    I can tell it still has the factory grips on it.
    The sets on both of mine sucked in the oil as well.

15. Chevy327

Chevy327

Jun 9, 2009
    Nice pistol! I would have made that trade, too.

But I don't understand your reservations about meeting in a desolate snow park in the middle of nowhere, trading an assult rifle for a .45 Auto with live ammo...What could go wrong?:dunno:

16. Jason D

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    Having someone tell you you sure have a purddy mouth.....