close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Toyota FJ, Nissan Xterra, or ?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by jungle, Dec 24, 2006.

1. jungle

jungle
    Expand Collapse

I need a Four Wheel Drive for snowy conditions in Anchorage, Alaska. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it small, light on the offroad, although some of the roads in the area are rough, and the highest priority is Reliability(with a capital R). Thanks for any help you may provide.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Kurly

Kurly
    Expand Collapse

The Toyota FJ got mediocre test drive results in one of the recent mags (Car & Driver?). Limited visibility out the back, mediocre handling and fairly rough ride. Reliability is expected to be good due to Toyota design. I test drove the Xterra and found the ride to be fairly rough for my use. I think it sits on a truck chassis so therefore the suspension isn't as smooth as some of the other SUVs. I'd look into a Subaru wagon or a Toyota Highlander 4WD. I have the latter and have been driving it for 3 years. Decent gas milesage, comfortable ride that compares to the Lexus SUV but $14k less, handles decently in snow and has enough room for my purposes. Buy a used one and save even more.

3. jungle

jungle
    Expand Collapse

How is the ground clearance on unplowed roads? Charlotte is a little weak in the snow and cold department, is this where you need a four wheel drive?

4. Kurly

Kurly
    Expand Collapse

Ground clearance on the Highlander is 7.3" for 4WD. May not be enough for your needs...:upeyes:

Yeah, Charlotte doesn't incur a huge amount of snow but we can get 6-8" at times. I moved from Asheville and had more use of the 4WD there.

5. Rinconjoe

Rinconjoe
    Expand Collapse

well I am not sure wear he got his info on the FJ cruiser , I have done my research and since july 06 have had it just about any wear I wanted to go , it has even been to point wear water came inside cab and kept, going, as far as snow well we havent had any yet but went to mountains with very limited snow done fine. I had done my research and drove most other suv's and didnt like them personally I love my fj cruiser picture on my rides forum.
    some review cnet :
    http://reviews.cnet.com/2007_Toyota_FJ_Cruiser/4505-10868_7-31677240.html
    trucks:
    http://trucks.about.com/od/2007suvs/ss/07_fjcruiser.htm
    http://www.epinions.com/content_229713940100
    http://www.can4x4.com/reviews/fj-cruiser/fj-cruiser.htm
    edmonds review:
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/toyota/fjcruiser/100688146/ratings_consumer.html

as you can see its been rated very high by the drivers and people who has one , I have a full size chev truck and spend most my time in my fj cruiser , now there are some dislikes , one the heater system belive it or not is too warm hear in nc , but yes by moving my temp to little over on cold side it better, some lack of being able to see out the side but it ok, my gase millage is allot better than what I was told average every day driving in the 19-22 rage . this last weekedn went four wheeling and some rock crawling and still came in at 16 mpg. do your research there are several of us on this web forum that have them.

6. Toxie

Toxie
    Expand Collapse

Any reason the Wrangler isn't on your list? Probably the best off-roader in stock trim and very affordable and reliable. Just het the solid roof, and you all set.

7. Rinconjoe

Rinconjoe
    Expand Collapse

I could think of few reason its not , but won't go there actually he asked about suv the other plain and simple isnt its in a diffrent class basically its a jeep.

8. Rob96

Rob96
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

If considering something in the Xterra size I would opt for the Toyota 4Runner.

9. skeeeter

skeeeter
    Expand Collapse

I am very happy with the H3 I just bought. Was able to put 35" BFG MT tires inside the large wheel wells with no modifications. Do not have to use Premium gas like the FJ. The larger size tires make a big difference in snow.
    I drove the Xterra and FJ and liked the way the H3 rode better and the lack of cheap plastics on the interior like the FJ and Xterrea has.
    Getting 18 mpg with the 35's and 20mpg with the stock 33" size.

10. Rob96

Rob96
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Just have cheap plastic on the front end. Buddy of mine has a H3, hit a deer and the front end shattered. What he thought was a "chrome grill" was plastic. $2700 damage. Kicker is he didn't hit the deer that hard.

11. Rinconjoe

Rinconjoe
    Expand Collapse

12. Rob96

Rob96
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Man you old enough to drive let alone type on an internet board?

13. D-Caen

D-Caen
    Expand Collapse

Is diesel hard to come by? How long til the "clean" diesel gets up there? The 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee's have a V6 diesel option. 215 hp @ 3800rpm & 376 lbs @ 1600 thru 2800 rpm. Tows 7400 lbs. Should get 19/24 mpg and has a 21+ gallon tank. 400 miles minimum between fill ups. Reliablity of a Mercedes built diesel, offroad capability of a Jeep.

14. Toxie

Toxie
    Expand Collapse

And why is that? It's small, light, good on gas relable and better off-road than any of the others listed. SUV requirement WASN'T listed. If it's BASICALLY a jeep, why not ACTUALLY buy a jeep?

I don't even own one - but seriously test drive one before you make up your mind. Espically with the unlimited out there now.

15. Rinconjoe

Rinconjoe
    Expand Collapse

well first its not reliable I had two got rid both due to the excess amount of in shop repair, all on suspension related items, and it wasn’t very good off road to be honest yes maybe if you put a bunch of added accessories ect, I have never had good luck with any of the jeeps, there for I don’t consider them reliable, oh and the only view trouble with the FJ is if you don’t have your mirrors adjusted. As with all vehicles there are some blind spots.
    Gas mileage is better than any of the jeeps I have had and even when we go mud, rock and trial riding its get better than any of the jeeps in our group there are 14 of us who travel and play, yes I do change my stock tires common since there you change type tire for the type driving you be doing. Others love the jeep good for them but my history and riding with my friends in one I will pass. Bottom line he will have to test drive what ever he wants and make his own mind up.

16. OUSooner

OUSooner
    Expand Collapse

While the FJ may get slightly better mpg than a Jeep you have to use premium fuel in it.

17. Rinconjoe

Rinconjoe
    Expand Collapse

obviousl;y you have been miss informed read this and weep !!!!!!!!![​IMG]

18. OUSooner

OUSooner
    Expand Collapse

19. Rinconjoe

Rinconjoe
    Expand Collapse

well for what ever reason you don't like the FJ is your reason all I can say is I have 46,000 miles on mine both off road and on road and on trails well lets say it does better than most the others including the jeeps.and we go off roading about every other weekend in tenn, WV, NC . bottom line going to be personal choice and for what its worth the regular fuel will not hurt it in any way .

20. Canon9

Canon9
    Expand Collapse

I am planning to buy a vehicle in the next month or so in this category. I have been back to the Jeep dealer quite a few times to look at the Jeep Wrangler 4-Door. It drives good and the improvements in drive/ride and handling are monumental over previous Wranglers. It is a totally new vehicle without losing it's Wrangler character. The serious model for off road is the Rubicon which can be bought for $27-$30,000. I think resale value is going to be excellent as well.

Just a thought.