close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Touching up barrel

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by stupendousman, Jul 1, 2012.

1. stupendousman

stupendousman
    Expand Collapse

I've got a fairly new G19 where the barrel has the normal wear at the top edge where it rubs against the top of the slide.

While I know this thread would normally get the usual "it's normal wear, don't worry about it" responses, I was wonder how well something like this...

Birchwood Casey Touchup Pen:
    http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Fin...roductID=0baf8d95-99a1-4e70-9f2d-02678e02f137

..would work to touch up the barrel to look factory new in between range time? I'd really like something that makes it look non-obvious that there's been a touch up, or wouldn't bother in the first place.

Would something work better? Maybe another Birchwood Casey blueing product?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mr_fender

mr_fender
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately, cold blue products simply do not hold up to abrasion and offer little to no rust protection. Even a hot caustic blue job is still fairly delicate compared to more modern coatings. Your best bet would probably be to have it refinished. Finishing just a barrel shouldn't set you back very much. I think Lone Wolf does black oxide finishing for about $25.

3. kodiakpb

kodiakpb
    Expand Collapse

Honestly you're wasting your time.

4. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo
    Expand Collapse
    Amor patriae

It's a tool. A glock is not meant to be a beauty queen.

I hate to have to say what you know everyone is going to say, but shoot the crap out of it and quit worrying about what it looks like, it's not a safe queen. Are you really THAT worried about what a self defense tool looks like "in between range sessions"??

To answer your question, cold blue doesn't do anything because bluing is a form of rusting and Glocks tennifer process prevents corrosion and is deeper than the actual black coating, so the cold blue touchup pen won't do anything.

5. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer
    Expand Collapse
    Punisher

Buy a new barrel and switch it out after you shoot so it looks pretty.

6. Keoking

Keoking
    Expand Collapse

Yup, only way to keep the barrel looking pretty.

7. tonyparson

tonyparson
    Expand Collapse

Yes do this and send the old scratched up barrels to me. :supergrin:

8. stupendousman

stupendousman
    Expand Collapse

I'm not "worried" about anything. I just saw the pen at a gun store and wondered if it would allow me both to shoot the gun as much as I want, and still make it look pretty new when I'm not.

Nothing wrong with that. Really, the people who keep chiming in with the "it's a tool" stuff to threads like this ARE being a tool. People get it. If they were afraid of scratching their guns, they'd just leave them in a safe. I was looking at a possible "best of both worlds." If that's not your thing, then don't bother those for whom it might be. You are wasting both our times! :)

9. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman
    Expand Collapse

I doubt a blue touch-up pen will work on a Glock barrel (at least mine won't, just tried to see if it would) but you can try.

10. Veedubklown

Veedubklown
    Expand Collapse

Pretty sure your right, due to the tennifer process, it doesn't allow the cold blue to react with the steel.

11. robhic

robhic
    Expand Collapse
    WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member

To make it look good between shootings, yes it will work. Soon as you fire the pistol it will come off. So if you are willing to touch up the barrel after every cleaning it will be fine for you.

I touched up a small wear mark on the rear corner of my slide and it looked good for about 2 weeks. The touch-up pens are VERY cosmetic only.

12. Veedubklown

Veedubklown
    Expand Collapse

Even cold blue in a bottle (all a touch up pen is, really anyway) doesn't hold up much to contact.

13. MikeG36

MikeG36
    Expand Collapse

If you want it to look perfect between uses try a Magic Marker. :wavey::whistling::supergrin:

Seriously man, ain't nothin' like a well seasoned Glock. Use it with pride!!

14. Veedubklown

Veedubklown
    Expand Collapse

You could always polish your barrel and hood, that would hide the difference in color. You'll still get some light scratches, though. At leas they'd be difficult to see.

15. guns54

guns54
    Expand Collapse
    toni

Nothing will hold up. You cant get away from the wear.Shoot and be safe.

16. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

I would imagine that the color wouldn't match-up, and that you could still tell that it was "touched-up".

As others have mentioned, forget about it, not worth your time. They're tools, not show pieces.

17. stupendousman

stupendousman
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. This is the sort of answer I was looking for.

I was not looking for people to reply, not answer my question, and essentially tell me my question was stupid. Thanks, but no thanks for that. :(

#17 stupendousman, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  18. ftw13

ftw13
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

19. mj9mm

mj9mm
    Expand Collapse

easier to take all the black off the barrel

20. jmb79

jmb79
    Expand Collapse

But your question is pretty stupid. You're going to have to get some thicker skin if you're going to continue asking questions on Glock Talk.