Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Touching Primers..

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bello, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Sep 24, 2008
    East Coast
    is there a real big deal about touching primers? is it bad to do it?
  2. usmc4641

usmc4641 NRA member

Apr 4, 2007
    some will say that you can cause an oily buildup which may cause the primer to not function properly. I would say that minimal handling would be ok
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010

3. [​IMG]

Hammer says no.

Seriously, I have personally touch many and lived to tell the tale. Don't make a habit of it but if one falls on the floor or bench I pick it up.
  4. Memnok

Sep 7, 2009
    I do it as little as possible, but a little light petting will not hurt them. I wouldn't put one in my mouth and chew it though. :shocked:
  5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Obviously it depends on the age of the primer and if the touching is consensual.

6. Memnok

Sep 7, 2009
  7. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Sep 24, 2008
    East Coast
    believe it or not i used to only read general glocking and log off but what others dont know is in the reloading forum we got a bunch of fun guys hiding kept secret so far on glocktalk lol.. my question was for i have a lee single stage press and i picked up a lee auto powder measure for it so i was kinda figuring expand my cases and drop powder and then bring down and prime but my thots got me scared thinking if i overprimed id bring my face down so i re thot and was like maybe ill pick up a primer press prime it and up stroke the expand and drop powder
  8. Memnok

Sep 7, 2009
    You can't drop powder before you seat the primer unless you want the powder to leak out of the primer pocket.
  9. Olivers_AR

Dec 27, 2007
    Dulles, VA
    Yes you can actually even seat the bullet with powder dropping out. :brickwall:

A public service announcement, wear eye protection when you reload. :cool:

ETA: Use a set of tweezers and you won't have to touch then directly. A little handling of the outside cup is ok, similar to when you load a round in a magazine.

10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    I touch them as little as possible. Use common sense and have a nice day.
  11. rg1

Aug 5, 2003
    Hope it's ok because I've handled and touched thousands since starting loading in the early 80's. I pick up from my primer flipper tray and set the primers in the primer punch cup. I do have primer tubes and use them when priming large lots but see no issues picking up primers and placing them in the primer seating cup. I do have clean hands, no case lube on the fingers, plus no sweating and my skin oils are not acidic. Some peoples skin oils or perspiration are acidic. It's not easy to "kill" a primer even when trying to do so with oils etc. and I can't see any concern by handling them. Don't drop powder before priming!!!
  12. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Fine powders like Bullseye WILL leak out of a flash hole if there is no primer in place.

Touching primers is okay. I load 30-06 on a single stage and touch every single primer. I tried to miracle them into the primer seater, but it didn't work.

Dec 20, 2002
    I've touched all of mine for the past four years (prime on press without a tube). I try to make sure my hands are clean and dry.
    Never had a problem, but it might be more of an issue for long term storage.
  14. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    DING, DING! We have a winner! I wouldn't clean my guns or change the oil in my car & then reload w/o washing my hands. If you wash your hands before reloading, there will be little to no oils left to contaminate primers. I do it all the time, drop a primer here or there, no issues.:dunno:
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  15. Memnok

Sep 7, 2009
    BL-C(2) will too. I know from experience. :supergrin:
  16. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

Mar 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    If you do touch them, don't tell your wife she might have a jealousy issue.:supergrin:
  17. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    I guess I'm a primer perv then cause I handle all my primers while reloading!! Us single stage guys are kind of weird that way! And I don't ask if it's ok!:rofl:
  18. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    My automatic primer loader (AKA, my wife) uses her finger to flip them over if they didn't flip properly in the flip tray. So far I've had no issues. However, when I load the tubes, I use the corner of the tube to flip them.
  19. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    In actuality you stand a better chance of reading a Korean newspaper than you do contaminating a primer with your hands.

This is not to say that you should make a habit of carrying a pinch of them between you cheek and gum but in all likelihood they would still go off... just maybe not when you want them to.

20. unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Back in the days when Jack thinks I was walking around with Mosses. I picked up every primer and put it in the Lee hand-priming tool. No trays or tubes too put primers in etc. Every thing I read said not too use the press for priming. So the next best thing at the time was the Lee hand priming tool. I never had one that would not go off.
    Put a couple of primers in WD40 and everyday put one in a case and fire it. It takes a couple of days before it well not fire. And that is soaking it in the stuff.
    So picking up the primers by hand, as long as you wash your hands before doing so you should not have any problem.