Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Totem won't play the movie!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by denfoote, Jul 20, 2008.

1. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

Jan 28, 2000
    Buckeye Arizona
    I get this error message.

An Error occurred.

Could not open location you might not have permission to open the file.

Works fine in windows!!!

I think it's the security crap they put on the disks.
    Is there a codec I can download to solve this???
  2. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Remember, you're not using Windows. Just because it works there, means nothing about why it does or doesn't work in Linux.

A DVD movie? yes, you need to install libdvdcss... then, ditch totem, and use VLC.. way better. Assuming you're still using Ubuntu..

Add the medibuntu repository following the instructions above(make sure you add the GPG key also, otherwise apt will constantly complain about a possible security risk form an unverified repository)...

After you've done the above, follow the instructions to install libdvdcss2 (sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2)... you *should* be able to open a DVD in totem now, although there was a problem w/ it not recognizing when the codecs were installed(i think its been fixed, but I'm not sure because I don't use Totem). Regardless, if you can't play it in totem, simply run sudo apt-get install vlc. After which, you should have no prob watching a DVD in vlc.

3. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA

Windblows or Leenuks, VLC is king shiznit.
  4. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

Jan 28, 2000
    Buckeye Arizona
    problem solved.
    Thanks guys.