close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Totem won't play the movie!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by denfoote, Jul 20, 2008.

1. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

Jan 28, 2000
    Buckeye Arizona
    I get this error message.

An Error occurred.

Could not open location you might not have permission to open the file.

Works fine in windows!!!

I think it's the security crap they put on the disks.
    Is there a codec I can download to solve this???

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Remember, you're not using Windows. Just because it works there, means nothing about why it does or doesn't work in Linux.

A DVD movie? yes, you need to install libdvdcss... then, ditch totem, and use VLC.. way better. Assuming you're still using Ubuntu..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Add the medibuntu repository following the instructions above(make sure you add the GPG key also, otherwise apt will constantly complain about a possible security risk form an unverified repository)...

After you've done the above, follow the instructions to install libdvdcss2 (sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2)... you *should* be able to open a DVD in totem now, although there was a problem w/ it not recognizing when the codecs were installed(i think its been fixed, but I'm not sure because I don't use Totem). Regardless, if you can't play it in totem, simply run sudo apt-get install vlc. After which, you should have no prob watching a DVD in vlc.

IGF

3. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA
    +1

Windblows or Leenuks, VLC is king shiznit.