Total Newb

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by G_26, Nov 6, 2012.

1. I just picked up my first gun yesterday, a Glock 26, and I am planning on going to the range tomorrow. I have never shot a gun (excluding Nerf), but I am looking forward to it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. :welcome: and congrats

3. CanMan

Silver Member

Good choice & Welcome! :wavey:

4. Welcome to GT and, congrats on your G26!

5. :welcome: aboard!

6. Welcome to the forum!

7. 370 rounds down range, I am VERY glad I bought the Glock!
    There were a couple guys with a rifle and a pistol, one was probably shooting for the first time too, the other was explaining the DA/SA trigger to him because he was having problems hitting the target at 10 yards. My trigger feels great! No problems with hitting the target at 10 yards, 25 yards was challenging but fun. I spent some time with snap caps before learning the trigger break, glad I did, but the first time I fired a live round I was surprised my little 9mm is so loud!
    ...now I need to clean it :)

8. Great! I love my G 26. I was a newbee last year, now I have 3 Glocks. I took the NRA basic pistol and safety course. And then took the CCW course. I highly recommend it. Be safe.

9. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

:welcome:

10. Sounds like you did a lot of reading before hand. Most newbies don't know what a snap cap is, nor how to run one in a Glock without ejecting it all over the place.

And lots of experienced shooters cannot hit a standard size sheet of paper at 25 yards.

Evidentally you do not suffer from low left syndrome.

#11 ithaca_deerslayer, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  11. I was mostly helped by watching [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xa5JPLGIsU"]Hickok45's youtube videos on shooting techniques[/ame], he mentions using dummy rounds to find diagnose anticipating recoil by randomly putting them in the mag, I didn't try that on this trip, but the snap caps helped me get comfortable with the trigger break at home. On the range I pretended like I was pulling the trigger on a snap cap. Firing the first live round hit the target about 1.5" from center, but I felt like my heart jumped into my throat it startled me so badly... guess I did a good job of pretending it was just a snap cap!

I didn't really have any pattern to my shots, I miss center in every direction, I wish I could figure out what I need to work on to put 'em right in the center. But leaving the range knowing that should the need arise, I am deadly at 10 yards and that is more than enough for defense within my small home.

12. I can only guess at this point. What size 5-shot groups are you getting at what distance? For example, at 25 yards, a 4" group is my own standard, occassionaly down to 2.5", sometimes open up to 6" if I'm not doing well. Something like that :)

Do you focus on the front sight, and keep it crisp, while the target is fuzzy? Are you very careful to keep the front sight post perfectly level with the top of the rear sight ears? Do you keep an even amount of white space on both sides of your front post?

When you pull the trigger, is it slow and steady? Do you place your sight alignment (I described just above) on the target the same way each time? Typically you would cut the bulls eye in half top to bottom, and have the top center of your front post centered on the bull. This is called a center hold. There are other ways to do it, of course :)

13. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

:welcome: From Michigan!