close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Total $ for custom AR

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by China boy, Feb 10, 2013.

1. China boy

China boy

Feb 2, 2013
    I'm looking to spend maybe up to +/- $1200 on an AR. I'm curious as to what a decent custom build would cost compared to dropping the 1.2k on a brand name AR. I know the sky is the limit but would I be better off spending the time and effort to build an AR and save some money or spend the same amount and get a better gun building my own compared to what $1200 would get with brand name AR?

Is it really worth it to build my own AR with $1200?

Can I build an equivalent AR for less compared to a prebuilt brand name AR for the $1200?

Does my money go further by doing my own work assembling an AR?

Thanks for replies!

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    It all depends.

If you're able to find a commercial AR with most to all of the components you want out of the box, then by all means do so. For many people, this is quite possible, and is almost certainly cheaper than buying and building.

If you want a long list of very specific parts - especially if they are less common ones - then doing a custom build might be more cost effective.

For most people, a quality factory gun with one or two minor mods will be all that's needed.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    No. In most cases you will spend the same or more to assemble a rifle of equal quality as most "name brand" ARs. Then you're left w/ the fact that the factory built AR is done so by professionals w/ specialty tools. It's rare to see a personally assembled AR on the same level as one done by a factory tech.

4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida

Assuming it's built by a quality company, anyway. Lucky Gunner had 2 brand name ARs that had improperly torqued barrel nuts in their steel vs brass cased ammo test. They estimated 5 foot pounds of less of torque was used to install them.

5. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    OP, A lot is going to depend on the type of AR you want and what you expect it to do. What do you want your custom rifle to do that an off the shelf AR won’t?
    More accuracy, lighter weight, cheaper cost?

6. China boy

China boy

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. From what you guys are saying I think it would be best for me to buy a factory AR at the moment. I think it would take me a full year to buy, learn and assemble my own and I probably would spend the same to more considering tools needed and parts. And if I had a factory made one in front of me it would help me learn for maybe building a 2nd AR. And I don't need anything more than the regular. I would use this thing for the range and at most 100 yard distances here and there. All for the sake of having fun.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the mossberg MMR but still will read and investigate other brands and qualities for the next few months until prices go back to normal.

7. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    If you buy a complete/assembled upper you can assemble a gun from components on your own for sure. Turning a stripped lower into a complete lower is not difficult.

If all you want to do is take it to the range for fun shooting and plink out to 100 yards then pretty much any gun out there should suit you fine. Buy the first one that you can find an old/standard price.

8. Glock21Owner

Glock21Owner NRA Life Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Isle of Lucy
    Based on what you want to do, I think the hands down choice is the Smith and Wesson M&P 15. Top it off with an Aimpoint Pro and you are right at $1200 once prices restabilize.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  9. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    So, OP, have you been out looking at ARs at your local gun shops? Getting your hands on them and seeing what they're like?

10. China boy

China boy

Feb 2, 2013
    No I haven't. I only seen 2 bushmasters a few weeks ago in a crowded army navy. I'm thinking of going there this week during the week when they are not busy to see what they are like to hold.

11. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    I think you are in wrong time to buy AR-15. All the prices of AR-15 is insane due to AWB possible.

12. China boy

China boy

Feb 2, 2013
    I have a feeling you didn't read the above posts but thanks for your concern my friend. I do plan to wait a bit as I know what I want ( well kind of) and am in no rush.

13. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    I did read while thing in this thread and you didn't provide a time of period that you would like to buy it. I would recommend you to wait after the AWB crisis to get a best deal from a remorse buyer.

14. Monotonous ONE

Monotonous ONE

Feb 28, 2009
    heres my build...yes i paid more than if i had done this 1-3 weeks prior

aero lower -200
    palmetto lower parts - 200
    palmetto mostly complete upper - 400
    charging handle - 60
    BCG - 220
    magpul rear sight - 60
    magazines - LOL ROFL (i didnt get hosed as bad as some...but i have 5 pmags and 3 troy battlemags "on the way")

I did this VERY recently...and these prices are very close to what you would find right now

so yes...you could easily piece together a VERY nice AR-15 for 1200 or less.

Patience is the key here

15. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    You mean lower build kit from PSA for $200, I believe. ;)

That isn't bad at all. What charging handle did you pay $60 for, though?

Who made the BCG?

I kinda hit the jackpot with 'in stock' items recently and assembled an extremely high quality rifle that will be totally finished when the handguard arrives tomorrow (I'll wait and post a picture then). The late December (like 20th or later) items are noted, the rest purchased mid January or later.

Cost of BCM (not all shipping, taxes, transfer fees included)
    BCM Mid length 16” upper: $460
    BCM BCG: $160 (purchased late Dec)
    BCM mil-spec buffer tube, H buffer, buffer spring: $65
    Magpul ACS-L stock: $95
    Aero Precision stripped lower: $100 (purchased late Dec)
    Magpul MOE handguard w/QD slot: $65
    Noveske QD endplate: $25
    Rainier castle nut: $15
    Vickers Combat Applications Sling (VCAS), padded, Al hardware: $80
    PSA LPK on Gunbroker (did not use the grip or FCG): $120
    MOE+ grip: $20
    Colt FCG/Charging handle/carry handle rear sight: Taken from my 6920

Total: Approximately $1,205

Yeah, I took a few parts from my Colt, but I didn't really NEED that 'free' Colt FCG as the PSA LPK came with one, and a basic CH isn't too expensive...but the rifle also has a $95 stock, an MOE handguard with QD mount installed, an $80 sling, and is almost entirely comprised of "mil spec" top notch parts.

Add $100 to the price of the stripper lower and $65 to the BCM BCG for current pricing IF/when you find them in stock from the source.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  16. lol seriously?

You're talking about a couple of mildly critical things which can easily be done if you've got the tools (basic tools at that) and the rest is about as complicated as legos.

I mean compared to building a 1911 from scratch it's like paint by numbers.

17. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    I suppose that one of two things is possible. Either (a) there are a lot of idiots assembling rifles that shouldn't be, or (b) someone is drinking a bit too much of the Koolaid.

I personally have never owned a factory built AR. To each their own, but I like assembling my own and knowing them intimately. I'm also not a brand fanboy, so that helps a bit as well. I find that it's less expensive to build exactly what I want than to buy something close and change out the stock, install a rail, and swap the trigger.

:rofl:

True.

18. China boy

China boy

Feb 2, 2013
    Now everyone is making me want to build my own. Ha. I'm learning but wish there was a book or step by step manual to assembling an AR for me to learn from. At first glance it is intimidating because there are so many part abbreviations and I don't know exactly what each part does and what's the difference between a better part and a lesser quality part.

19. chargingzebra

chargingzebra

Sep 15, 2012
    @ChinaBoy YouTube has some great videos on how to assemble the parts if you look. Cheaper than Dirt published a lot of very well done videos on the topic. Before making mine I basically just knew how to field strip an AR, and I watched videos to put mine together. About like Legos.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. Monotonous ONE

Monotonous ONE

Feb 28, 2009
    Yes I did mean the PSA Lower Build Kit. And yes they come cheaper than 200 but I got some nice magpul furniture in foliage green flavor. Im really excited about it.

I kept hearing people talk about Bravo Company's Gunfighter charging handle. I got a medium latch. This company sent me a tracking number about 2 hours after my order. It was at my door in about 3-4 days. Amazing. No shipping delays over there.

The BCG is from Gem State Armory. I took a chance on it as I havent seen reviews. Although their ar-15 armorers tool has gotten excellent reviews. Im thinking about putting in an order for a Young Manufacturing unit.