Top off your magazines?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by G26AZ, Sep 29, 2012.

1. I use McCormick 8 rd magazines in my Colt Commander. Do most people carry 7 + 1, or do you top off the mag after chambering a round and carry 8 + 1?

I was wondering if having a full magazine pressing up from below might be condusive to some type of misfeed or jam.

So, top off or not - that is the question?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    WTS Glock 17 and 19 magazines and two xgrips Gun Parts & Accessories Yesterday at 1:35 PM
    Los Angeles leaders outlaw high-capacity gun magazines Gun-Control Issues Yesterday at 11:25 AM
    Glock 26/27 magazines for sale Gun Parts & Accessories Saturday at 3:11 PM
    Two Glock 21 magazines (10 round) Gun Parts & Accessories Jul 23, 2015
    Lot of 5 AR-15 32 round 9mm Magazines (FL) Gun Parts & Accessories Jul 22, 2015

3. I always carry 8+1.

4. I never top off. Full mag in, rack, and go.

5. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim come get some

I always top off. No problems with 1911, Glocks, Sigs, or M4.

Sent from my Android

6. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

`Full mag in, rack, and go` 14 + 1

7. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

I always top off. The gun should work with a full mag loaded, if it doesn't it's got a problem.

8. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Shouldn't matter if it's topped or not if the pistol is built right. Ensure there's no ejector contact....see kneedgr thread for clarification.

9. I top off and for 1911 pattern pistols I find the 7 rounders less problematic (in a Government model) than I have 8 rounders...

somewhat recently, I acquired a pair of Tripp Research 8 rounders and they too have been 100% as have the original Taurus 8 rounders in the PT1911 AL...

Bill

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Nope,........

11. This is what I do also. More because I am lazy. But I do (always) carry an extra 8-round mag. Does that count? LOL

12. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

I normally carry a single stack weapon so I do top off.

13. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Yes...........

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

14. if you can, why limit yourself? that one more round could be.......that round

15. I top off. Having less rounds in my pistol is a bad thing.

16. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Changed it up a tad, but that's what I do too. :cool:

17. I don't top off. When I took my carry class the instructor told a story about a dead LEO who had a jam at a critical
    moment who was topped off. He recommended not topping off.

These threads sometimes lead to a lot of controversy, and I
    don't know for sure if there is a right or wrong answer. Common sense tells you that there are too many different magazines, too many different guns, and too many variables for a one size fits all.

Practice however you decide to load and carry.

18. I always top off the mag, or better yet use a Barney mag to load the chamber.

19. I got in the habit of topping off all my carry guns and house guns. I KNOW they are done this way so clearing the gun, I drop the mag, rack the slide and leave it locked back until it goes in the safe. I KNOW the gun is empty then. I also do the same if a friend asks to see a gun. Be consistent, be safe:wavey:

20. This. Never had a problem with good mags through I dunno how many presentations in class and competition.

#19 MD357, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  21. that is why manufacturers advertise them as "8+1" capacity..