close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Top 3 powder picks for 45acp

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by JDinNC, Apr 10, 2010.

1. My Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading book has 11 powders for a 230 gr. FMJ. What do YOU think are the best 3 powders for it? I'm thinking about making a batch for each. It looks like the best powders would fill up the cases most so there's not a whole lot of air space in there? I AM a total newbie. I havent reloaded before. I just got a Hornady press. TYIA

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  2. I've used 700-X for decades now with great results.

3. YamaLink

YamaLink

Mar 11, 2010
    I only used Accurate #2. Clean, accurate, good recoil and very inexpensive. About $18 per pound locally. Everything else is about $22.

4. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

Aug 10, 2003
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    clays, clays and even more clays.....I see someone uses Unique..it is my favorite for 9mm, and .38, haven't tried any .45's with it... what are you putting it under?

5. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Feb 2, 2000
    Connecticut
    Unique.

Under 230 gn. FMJ, 230 gn. LRN, 200 gn SWC & 200 gn. lead hollow base round nose.

6. D. Manley

D. Manley

May 30, 2005
    Southern US
    If you're new and looking for a powder to "get your feet wet" with in .45 ACP, I'd probably have to suggest W-231 / HP-38. Measures well, has a decent load range and is almost always produces accurate loads. The .45 has the benefit (or liability, depending on your outlook) of being very versatile in the powders it performs well with. Anything suggested in the thread so far is good as are many others. These are just that performed well for me.

General Use:

W-231 / HP-38
    WST
    N-340

Soft & Accurate Range Loads:

N-310
    N-320
    Clays

7. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    1. WSF (full balls)
    2. Unique (full balls)
    3. WST (target loads)

8. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Bullseye, 231, WST. No particular order, get what you can find.

Bullseye works great for light target loads. Light charges (keep an eye out), very economical.

9. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Jul 3, 2000
    In The Pocket
    Vote #3 for N310 & N320 :thumbsup:

kestrou

10. kshutt

kshutt

Aug 24, 2001
    Oklahoma
    Not in order, but..........

WST
    W-231/HP-38
    Unique

11. Surprised to see all the folks recommending WST.

I had never heard of WST until 6-9 months ago. Was looking for some powder to load light target loads in the .38 special and nothing much was available. Local shop had plenty of WST on hand. I looked it up and while there aren't a lot of handgun loads listed for it, there are lighter loads for the .38 Special, 9MM, .40 S+W and .45 ACP for it. It meters very nicely through my Lee Pro 1000's powder measure.

12. Bullseye, 231, Power Pistol

No particular order.

13. Big Sam

Big Sam

Jul 13, 2007
    PA
    I prefer AA2 and Power Pistol. However, as a new reloader I'd suggest you use a powder that has a lot of reloading data avaiable for it. Bullseye, Unique and 231 come to mind. The 45 acp does well with lots of powders. As you gain skill and understanding of the process, branch out and try other powders.

14. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    VV N310 (target loads)
    Titegroup (forget load density, this one's a winner)
    Clays