close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Took the new Eotech to the range....

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Ruggles, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

Took the 1 week old Eotech 517 to the range today. Mounted on a AR15 (M4 CMMG Lower/16" LMT flattop upper). The sight worked fine and does indeed speed up sight acquisition over the iron sights. My issue is the balance it gives to the rifle, I really do not care for the feel of the carbine with the Eotech attached. Feels "top heavy" to me.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I am going to post the Eotech for sale on the forums here as I can not see myself ever getting use to the feel of the AR with the Eotech on it. :( I really wanted to like the Eotech but no go here.

I would like to make clear I am not bashing the Eotech at all, great tool but just not for me. I guess I will go back to the iron sights.

On a bright spot I got my PS90 sighted in with the compact ACOG which I have been meaning to do for awhile :) What a great little set up that is.

I alos put a Kimber SIS Ultra in layaway. I wanted to get one before Kimber stops production. Seems like a great little 1911.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Kentak

Kentak
    Expand Collapse

I'm really surprised to hear this. I don't recall hearing this kind of complaint with an EOTech before as there are much heavier optics people mount topside. Why not give it a little more time to wear in on you, like a new pair of shoes? Make sure you use a full 30 rd mag to start shooting with. Ballast, ya' know.

3. Aikidoka

Aikidoka
    Expand Collapse
    It Says Aikido

I just added a 517 to my AR as well but haven't had the chance to get it to the range. How did you sight yours in?? Im thinking about setting mine dead center @ 50 yards.

4. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

50 yards just like you are talking about. I can see myself going any farther than that in a defensive situation.

5. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I assumed it was me. I just prefer the simple "streamlined" feel of the AR without the Eotech. I do like the compact ACOG (much smaller than the Eotech in someways) on the PS90, I might go that way someday.

6. Aikidoka

Aikidoka
    Expand Collapse
    It Says Aikido

My thoughts exactly. Thanks.

7. NDC187

NDC187
    Expand Collapse

nothing like good ol' iron sights :)

8. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

You know, that about sums up my feelings I guess. I see the benefits of the optics like Eotech and Aimpoints but for now I think I will stick with the iron sights. If the Eotech does not sell I might give it a try at a latter date.

9. pleaforwar

pleaforwar
    Expand Collapse

If the weight of the EOTech really bothers you I recommend you check out either the Aimpoint T-1 or the Trijicon RMR. Then again, open sights is always a reliable option. :thumbsup:

10. Daekwan

Daekwan
    Expand Collapse
    Colts & Glocks!

Or the XPS.. smallest holo sight EOTech sells

11. Steve in PA

Steve in PA
    Expand Collapse

Rifle top heavy with an Eotech? Never, ever have I heard that.

12. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

I guess "top heavy" is not the right term. More out of balance than any real weight issue. It just seems to throw off the handling of the carbine. I think I will try to get use to it before I make any long term judgments on it. I really like the operation of the sight.

13. pleaforwar

pleaforwar
    Expand Collapse

So.... do you have any pics of your configuration? :supergrin:

14. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

I don't love the extra weight added by most optics, but the upside of the optic is too great for me to not want it on my primary defensive rifle.

15. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

I have a week old 517 as well on my M4gery. Didn't feel top heavy or unbalanced at all. I think it is very bulky though and might switch out to the T-1 micro.

How much you want for your 517?

16. furioso2112

furioso2112
    Expand Collapse

Yeah...never heard that either. I have a 5xx (the 2xAA model) on a QD mount that I use on my EBRs...and a Leupold 4.5-14x40 w tac knobs...neither makes the gun feel strange or out of balance to me. I support your decision to give it a while - carry it like that for a week; when you take it off, I bet you'll feel the rifle is off-balance without it. Always something new, never hurts to post.