close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Too much "stuff"?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Generalcarry, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Michigan
    I’ve used: Ccleaner, AVG 8.0 free and On Line Armor for quite a while, and still do. I also defrag and use disk cleanup weekly. I’ve added Smart Defrag, Advanced SystemCare and Malwarebytes’ yesterday because this computer seems to be slowing down and frankly thought this may help.
    I’m probably pitting one program against another and was wondering what to get rid of or keep. Maybe even something to add.

I maxed the RAM at 4GB but only 2.98 show and I have ~84% of my HD free.
    Any suggestions?
    Thx

2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

You are running a 32 bit OS so 3 - 3.2 GB is all Windows will use. What do you have loading when Windows starts?

3. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Michigan
    I have 14 items on startup if that's what you mean.
    Periodically I write everything down (that's checked) in startup and google it to see if it's necessary or not. I will copy them down if that's what you mean.

4. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Michigan
    If your talking about the icons next to the clock, there are 4 or 5 depending. When I turn on the computer I exit everything I can. I do all the updates manually, and I'm still using SP2.

5. Sgt. Schultz

I'm talking about Start - Run - MSCONFIG

I have two items loading on systems the I setup and configure, the AntiVirus and Firewall software anything else is just wasting resources.

6. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Michigan

Wow.... I remember some guy on TV a few years ago Black Vipor(?) who said pretty much the same thing.

That's exactly what I did, MSCONFIG and I have ~14. Things like Webshots, qttask, oaui... Guess I'll have to get more aggressive but , I only "kinda" know what I'm doing.

7. Sgt. Schultz

A lot of applications add stuff to load at startup, for example printers and scanners load monitoring software that you can do without, QuickTime adds a tray icon (qttask) for ease of access and the list goes on and on …

8. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    having 2 applications running "scans" or "real time protection" on your system is just beggin for file corruption too, not to mention the massive slow down every time you "touch" a file or make a change to one...

Only 1 "scanner" at a time... same with thermal monitors!

HTH

9. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Jan 19, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    yeah, go into msconfig and uncheck all! well maybe not Norton..but....the others...waste 'em.

10. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Michigan
    So I'm going to go back into startup and look at those checked items again. Now I know qttask can be unchecked, but as I google the others I can only rely on a few to be explained in terms I recognize. That UNI_Blue tells me nothing, bleeping computer helps at times but it's a hit and miss. Is there 1 site in particular that would help me clean up both PC and my wifes notebook?

Should I eliminate any of the "free add ons" or are they OK?

11. SKeefe

SKeefe

Mar 11, 2003
    SC
    If you go to Tools and then Startup in CCleaner then it will allow you to easily disable the applications that are starting when you start your computer.

I usually first try to actually go into the programs that are in startup and disable them from starting automatically from within the program's preferences.

12. jwest46

jwest46 Rebel Yeller

Sep 21, 2008
    Good question and I hope you (we) get an answer. The command lines in msconfig are not always clear as to which application they are associated. I have been hesitant to uncheck things as I am not sure how important they are. I have ten or twelve apps running on startup but would bet most are not vital. I may take this question over to some of the tech support forums.

13. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Michigan

That was good, I found 3 right off the bat I knew I could turn off with no ill effects.

14. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

May 22, 2003
    North Carolina
    I also use Webshots...if you disable it then your wallpaper will no longer update :p You could always just use the "My Pictures" screen saver and move your pics there...but it doesn't update your background.

If you can still find it...Pc Mag had a wonderful free program called "startup cop" that did a great job managing startup items ;)

15. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Michigan
    That's good to know and makes sense once you think about it. I thought it would stop all my screen savers, but if I can keep the ones I have until I decide to change, I'm on it!

16. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    Perhaps I better not say anything but I do wonder why people keep using that OS.

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Me and you both.... I have a Windows partition, for when I "must" have Windows, which isn't often... It gets no general use though, and truthfully, I rarely even boot it.

IGF

18. BigSexy

BigSexy

Jan 26, 2009
    Fargo ND
    I have to keep a machine running windows at the house for domestic tranquility. The wife refuses to look at anything "different".

19. Sgt. Schultz

Check out this site ...

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

... under the section "The Programs" click "All Items" look for "If you are a regular visitor, click HERE to go straight to the list..." at the top of the page.

20. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    My wife's computer, maintained by me has Kubuntu 8.04 on it. It's a self defense issue. If you send my wife an email that says "Click here and I will wipe your computer" she would STILL click here just to see what it does. So she uses Kubuntu and doesn't have root access.
    And does it really matter? My wife wants to read email, view and send images, surf the web and type and print a few letters. Kubuntu is fine. My parents use it too for the same reasons.