close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Too much cleaning! Ultrasonic cleaner?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by GasTurbine, Nov 13, 2012.

1. GasTurbine

GasTurbine Porschey Power!

Okay, heres the deal. I have a lot of guns. I also have a lot of friends which dont get to shoot much, so when I have a large project to do, I "hire" them to help, then pay them with shooting time/ammo which they are happy to receive. (I live on 2.5 acres in the country, and have ranges set up in my back yard)

Problem is cleaning. I spent about 4 hours cleaning about 8 handguns last night, and went through a good amount of cleaning supplies as well.

My wife says to make my friends help out with the cleaning as part of the deal, but I am very anal and specific about detailing/lubricating my guns, and just prefer to do it myself.

With that said, Im thinking a ultra sonic cleaner might be the answer. I could put multiple slides/barrels/frames in it, and basically walk away during the clean time. I also read that alcohol is a good medium to clean firearm in one of these cleaners...anybody have any advice/comments/recommendations/experience on the matter?

Thanks!

2. SJ 40

SJ 40

I too would be interested in the replies. SJ 40

3. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

Ultra sonic cleaners work great and fast. But, I would make sure to disassemble everything before you put it in the bath. You have to fully detail strip the slide and other assemblies. Wipe/blow everything completely dry after the bath. You don't don't want any water left inside the slide, dual recoil spring (if it has one), and other parts. Not even a Glock is 100% corrosion resistant.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  4. samuse

samuse

Might be easier to come to terms with reality and quit cleaning the guns so much.

glock1991 likes this.
  5. GasTurbine

I wouldnt use water as the medium. Alcohol, solvent, or another non-water soluble solution would be in order methinks.

6. GasTurbine

Not sure I follow this one.

Are you assuming Im over cleaning? I can assure you, I am not. They probably tossed over 300 rounds just in one of my 1911s. Besides, certain gunpowder residues can harm (pit/corrode) the inside of your barrel if left in place over time.

7. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

Alcohol contains water, so as some solvents. Strong solvents might attack plastic parts like the firing pin chanel liner, if they contain Ammoniak and other chemicals.

8. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Ultrasonic cleaners should only use water and soap as the cleaning solution. Using a flammable solution is quite dangerous.

You will spend more time disassembling and drying out than you will save. They do work well for cleaning barrels though.

9. GasTurbine

Polyhydric alcohols may have some water in them, but Monohydrics do not.

Ive used brake cleaner with great success, and it does not attack plastics. Neither does Hoppes solvents, and Im sure their are others.

10. GasTurbine

I found MANY ultrasonic company who offer non-water based solvents/chemical solutions to run in their machines.

Hoppes is flammable.

Im not sure how you came to this conclusion. I have to disassemble/dry anyway. Instead of scrubbing and cleaning, I can be doing other things while the parts are in the cleaner.

11. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

Well, it seems like you know everything about ultra sonic cleaners, cleaning, and chemicals! Why did you start an thread asking for advice on ultra sonic cleaners on a gun forum where 98% of the guys don't even have an ultra sonic cleaner? A ultra sonic cleaner forum might be a better source for getting good advices on ultra sonic cleaners.

12. GasTurbine

I wouldnt say that, but I am smart enough to do research.

How on earth would I know that!? The EXACT reason I posted here was to find out if any gun owners were using them, sheesh.

LOL! Ill look for one right away, in the meantime, please dont tear down peoples ideas if YOU dont have any experience in the subject.

Regards.

13. 125K9

125K9

+1:yawn:

14. curlysir

curlysir

I have one so I guess I am a 2% er. I see nothing wrong with him asking questions. I too would like to know the answer. I bought mine primarily to clean brass for my 5.7 but have also considered using it for cleaning my guns and parts.

15. scccdoc

scccdoc

I ultrasonic clean my brass. my guns get special attention. DOC

16. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Sometimes I use my Ultrasonic cleaner with Mineral Spirits, and sometimes I clean the guns by hand using the common solvents. I do all my cleaning in the garage.

Both seem to work well and I don't smell any significant vapors, except when I use aerosol cleaners by hand (like gunscruber). I have never use water. I have used Alconox Detergent (very strong) in Clean-room work for vacuum deposition glassware. Very good.

I do like to inspect the gun parts during cleaning, so I do more by hand.

It is not difficult to find low volatility solvents for Ultrasonic cleaners. Just do a search on the Internet. It also helps to use the cover if you wish to minimize vapors.

17. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

I am considering using mine to do the same. It's currently only used to clean brass before I load it up on the bench.

Based on your original post, it seems like you'll be saving some time with the cleaning g chores.

I use a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner with the solution for cleaning brass. They do offer one specific for cleaning gun parts. I will try some during the winter break coming up for us shortly.

Hope that helps

18. Dave.1

Dave.1

19. mj9mm

mj9mm

i've had good results with "simple green" diluted with water

20. SJ 40

SJ 40

I have heard of using Ballistol 1 to 10 with water, A poster on a black powder board I frequent takes off his wood grips off and his pistols go into the ultrasonic cleaner.
    One thing I know for sure a gun won't rust as long as their is Ballistol in the water and it's a great cleaner to boot. SJ 40