Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Cwlongshot, May 11, 2012.

1. I'll wager most will show you how to open a beer with one.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

As a person who has used a lagana (aka VTAC) tomahawk for several years... I tend to agree with bushflyr's comment.

A tomahawk can be a great weapon for battle.. just not much of a utility.

#22 FireForged, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  3. There are wood tool axes, and there are war axes.

Tomahawk is definitely "in the middle" I'd think the "in the middle" axe I'd want/like does not exist: Heavy enough for woodwork, balanced enough for war...

It's a light single hand war axe that CAN be used for other duties, IMO.

But let's definitely don't be confused - after a lot of Okinawin Kobudo, I would definitely put a hurt on you with one...or a lot of goofy things ranging from a big stick to my belt.

For the skilled person, with the right axe, I'd say it would be a great choice. Don't know that many of the "right" tomahawks exist...
    #23 Aceman, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Here's my favorite hawk--a hand forged hammer poll hawk from Beaver Bill Keeler. It sharpens up wonderfully with a file and a DMT stone. Will cut all the kindling or tent poles you could ever want. Pound in the pegs or hammer in some nails. Very versatile.

The beautiful thing about a tomahawk from a S&P perspective is the friction fit handle. If you break the handle its no big deal to fashion another using nothing more than a pocket knife.
    #24 Big Bird, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  5. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Millennium Member

Wow, that is gorgeous. I still stand by my previous assertion, particularly regarding spike hawks, but I would definitely be proud to own that. :thumbsup:
  6. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Yep, that's why I chose the more versatile trail hawk versus the spikey Trench hawk or even the SOG vietnam hawk.
  7. To the op:
    As others have mentioned, the trail hawk or similar.

If you don't really need the hammer, a machete or kukri may be more practical for s/d and as a tool. (A machete is also pretty cheap)

Please post up whatever you decide on....doesn't have to be practical....buying cool stuff is fun.....Good luck!
  8. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Not sure if this is a dig at my red brethern or not, but it sure is funny!!! Gave me my first laugh for the day.

I don't know anything about 'hawks, having never even handled one, so I will not weigh in on the discussion.
  9. BMH

Lifetime Member

10. I don't carry this in my bug out bag, but on trips I keep it in the truck. It's called the Trucker's Friend. I found it at a truck stop for about $40.

I have used it quite a bit. It's quite sharp. The version I have is basically all chrome.

11. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

The reason frontiersmen carried tomahawks was because muzzle loading firearms were one shot, slow to reload and somewhat unreliable. That doesn't apply these days. One never hears of anyone using a tomahawk for self defense. In fact I bet you would have a hard time finding anyone, even in Iraq or Afghanistan who have actually used one for that purpose. They are cool and romantic but not very practical.

I would venture to say the more people are killed with regular old claw hammers than tomahawks these days.

Be that as it may, a modern equivalent of a hawk might just be a shingler's hammer, brick hammer, a dry wall hammer, rigger's axe or carpenters axe all of which are available at any big box hardware stores.
    #31 mac66, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  12. quake

Millennium Member

If considering for vehicle carry, a sheetrock hammer:

(especially an old, used one; maybe from a pawn shop), or roofing hammer, the Trucker's Friend, or even an old "official girl scout hatchet" may put a person in a much better place legally/civilly than carrying - and especially using - something sold as a "tactical war-hawk" or such.
  13. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

I started carrying one in the car for places that are not really "gun" friendly:

I find that this particular one is easy to conceal, handles well, and is a great defense weapon (if you know how to use it). I suggest a lanyard of some type if ungloved.
  14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

All chromed out? Are you a rapper?:whistling:
  15. I bought a hand made hawk from a young fellow at a local gun show. It was made here in Missouri and was top quality construction. Stays in the safe, but it's more than capable if the need came along. He demonstrated it by cutting 16 penny nails with no marks or nicks to the blade. Scroll down to the Woodsman
  16. Here this has everything you want with the added benefit of the ability to put on a roof.

17. While not extremely popular, there have been atleast a few casualties due to tomahawks in the OIF/OEF deployment.

Hadji, dislikes hawks more than he dislikes pistols.
  18. They are fun to throw at targets.

I used to be a fair hand at double bit axe throwing matches and have thrown tomahawks as well, though never in competition as there was never a catagory for them in my state.
  19. Well I picked up the trench hawk cause well I like the looks. ;)

BUT in light of some of the other comments I ran across this today in Home Depot. It was 30$.

20. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Let us know how it holds up. That they're selling replacement handles on the same page as the 'hawk doesn't bode well for durability.