close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Tom Clancy

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Who else can make readers feel that they are there..right in the middle of the action? non other than the strong, remarkable and brilliant novelist Tom Clancy. For me he's one of the best along with other great novelists such as Stephen King, John Grisham, Michael Crichton..etc...
    Ever read one of his novels? You'll find it out for yourself..
    among his titles are:
    Rainbow Six (who can forget those pc games that were derived from it?)
    The Hunt for red october (popularized by Sean connery and alec Baldwin)
    Patriot Games (Harrison ford's Jack ryan)
    clear and present danger (Harrison ford again)
    red storm rising
    the cardinal of the kremlin
    the sum of all fears (ben affleck's younger version of jack ryan)
    debt of honor
    without remorse (john clark begins)
    executive orders
    the bear and the dragon
    red rabbit
    the teeth of the tiger
    SSN

and his other contributions to
    OP Center
    Power Plays
    Net force

2. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    i've read all his novels, twice!

i also enjoy W.E.B. Griffin's novels

3. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    Kung realism, I'll go with Andy McNabb
    He can tell you what is goin on inside a characters head durign a fight.
    Plus madami trade secrets dun sa novels nya, they have to be approved pa by the brit govt
    Plus yung bida nya, mas nakaktakot pa dun sa mga kontra bida

4. Valor1

Valor1 Pro Paingiver

Jul 6, 2003
    Urban areas
    Anybody tried David Morrell know for :
    - First Blood
    - Brotherhood of the Rose
    etc.

He is very good in the theme of the hunter and the hunted. Lots of tips too.

5. Amateurknight

Amateurknight

Nov 8, 2004
    Philippines
    I recommend James Patterson. A couple of his more well known titles are Kiss the Girls and Along Came the Spider.

6. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    I've watched the Brotherhood of the Rose series on GMA 7 many years ago, galing!:cool:

Trevanian's Shibumi is also a must read

7. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Aug 11, 2003
    Philippines
    I'm more into religious mysteries like Holy Blood, Holy Grail, Hiram key, Second Messiah, The Sign and the Seal, Templar revelation lately the Da Vinci code etc. etc. probably because of my masonic background. But I am a voracious reader and will read anything even my kid's Star Wars:New Jedi Order, Harry Potter and LOTR books. Just finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, which incidentally is a great read...sad ending though :)
    Will check out those Tom Clancy books which I have been meaning to read but haven't gotten around to.

8. tombo

tombo

Nov 4, 2004
    Ky
    Try Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter- one of my all time favorites. Ex-marine corp. sniper vs. the world. A real page turner. Some very good action sequences in it. Also another good book by Hunter- Dirty White Boys.

9. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Aug 11, 2003
    Philippines
    Have to check those out too. They say Hunter really knows his guns and it shows in his books. Some of his books that were recommended to me by a poster in another forum who's also registered here( eHunt, why don't you post here :)) were "Black Light" which features a lot of info on the AR's and "Hot Springs" which features the Thompson, M2 Carbine and BAR.

10. tombo

tombo

Nov 4, 2004
    Ky
    Black Light and Hot Springs are pretty good. Some of his earlier books such as Second Saladin (sp?) and Tapestry of Spies were not all that good. Day Before Midnight was pretty good but he started really hitting his stride with Point of Impact. His books are inter-related (not necessarily a series) starting with Point of Impact. If you like guns these are the books to read.

11. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
    Ang mahirap paniwalaan yung kay Clive Cussler. After reading two novels oh his, hininto ko na.

vega

12. mirko128

mirko128

Mar 8, 2005
    Pilipinas
    I've read almost all of Clancy's Jack Ryan books, except "The Cardinal and the Kermlin" and "The Bear and the Dragon."

My favorites are "Without Remorse" and "Rainbow Six". Least favorite is "The Teeth of the Tiger".

13. deenoh

deenoh

Feb 3, 2003
    Philippines
    Doctabako (or anyone else interested), if you want to try out Tom Clancy's books. I have several of his books in hard bound and paper back that I can sell to you. My mom bought several Tom Clancy books na meron na ako nag doble doble tuloy.

PM me if you're interested.

14. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Sep 15, 2001
    19th Hole
    The Bear and the Dragon by TC is also a must read. Any Frederick Forsythe novel is also worth reading. The most intriguing book IMHO is the Da Vinci Code. My wife and I were so intrigued and convinced that we had to change our iterinary to see the Last Supper during our vacation.

If there is a book that could stir your imagination, I believe the Da Vinci Code is it.

15. Pepe G Boy

Pepe G Boy

Oct 20, 2004
    Philippines
    Try reading Morrell's The Protector
    Sig225 and Emerson CQC7 are extensively used.

16. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines

Yeah, for awhile I had to remind myself it's fiction
    Try mo din yung Angels and Demons ni Dan Brown, it's just as good
    They are action adventure for nerds :) i mean that in a good way

17. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Aug 11, 2003
    Philippines
    PM sent :)

18. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Aug 11, 2003
    Philippines
    Those books may be fiction but the facts and insights on the work of Da Vinci and other illuminati have been the subject of debate way way before all this hype. Ideas formerly considered as blasphemy or heresy are now given a more objective eye, as it should be without threats of excommunication or religious persecutiion as has always been done in the past. :)

19. SMBeerDealer

SMBeerDealer Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Lytham St Annes, UK
    One thing I want to confirm about The Bear and the Dragon, isn't it mentioned there that the Americans used the same diesel fuel for their tanks as the Russians in their depot near the Chinese border? Aren't the M1 Abrams tanks fitted with GAS TURBINE engines?

Just finished reading Without Remorse for the fourth time. John Clark really is something. Would never want to cross anyone like him.

Frederick Forsythe's books are really something. I especially like The Deceiver, The Fourth Protocol, and the Fist of God.

20. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    fafa allegra, ok books si andy mcnabb, kaya lang british english, medyo di tayo sanay sa mga colloquialisms and slang nila bec. we're familiar with american english.