close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

To Shoot or Not to Shoot

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by VICARA, Jul 24, 2005.

1. VICARA

VICARA
    Expand Collapse

I'm just wondering what are your thoughts on the above subject if a scenario occurs in your own domain.
    Are you mentally prepared to shoot somebody? again, if target is/are house-intruder and assuming you have established that bodily-injury and/or damage to property is their goal. Do you intend to give a verbal warning before shooting?

I'm trying to put out here gentleman, a topic I rarely seen discussed: Mental awareness/aspects/readiness of really shooting a human target.

Do you practice at home, visualization technique/room clearing practice/engaging a target from your safe zone i.e. bedroom..etc.

Where do you keep your firearms at night time? (i.e. under the pillow) How fast do you have access to your piece when needed? (consider the term: bagong-gising or biglang nagising) (naalimpungatan ba ang tawag nun?)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Alexii

Alexii
    Expand Collapse
    Janeway Forever

It helps to prewire oneself ahead of time on which course of action to take should we find ourselves "in the dark".

For me, it's what in the hands of the intruder/s that will determine the shoot/no shoot response. This does not however, preclude the fact of multiple intruders which is more likely these days. Whether armed or not, this constitutes a lethal response in my book. Disparity of force.

I strongly believe that room clearing is for duty-bound SWAT type operatives only. Unless there are loved ones inside the room who needed evacuating, clearing rooms isn't worth the risk. Better move in a position of advantage where you can mount an effective defense (read: cover).

Beside me on my bed is a war bag: Beretta 92FS with 18 rounds of JHP, spare mag, Surefire M2, OC spray, cellphone.

YMMV

3. isuzu

isuzu
    Expand Collapse

The best way to prevent shooting an intruder or intruders inside your house is not to let them in (imagine the mess it would create and the trauma your family has to suffer if somebody gets shot inside the house). That means creating an outside perimeter or ring that would discourage intruders from getting inside your house. A fence that you could see what's going on outside of your house, dogs, motion activated lights, alarms and mental preparation of the whole family are some of the deterrents.

In case that perimeter is breached, then, you should be prepared to shoot especially when your family's life is threatened. Conditioning your family in such situations/scenarios are sometimes laughed at by others, but this plays a big factor. Assigning a member of a family to do a specific task when a situation occurs is very helpful. Remember, when panic sets in and somebody in the family gets hostaged, even the best laid plans won't work. Put a bag with all your essentials in a location inaccessible to the intruders and where you could recall immediately even if you have just woke up.

I recall a scenario in the mid 80's in our province where an individual fought at least 50 rebels who wanted to overrun and burn his residence in their farm. He got hold of a carbine, and his sister was beside him with a bag full of ammo. His sister reloaded the magazines that he emptied. They constantly shifted positions so 1) the rebels weren't able to pinpoint their exact location inside the house; and 2) the rebels thought there was more than one individual retaliating.

An electric fence also deterred the rebels from entering their compound. He was able to neutralize some rebels who breached the electric fence.

His sister was hit in the butt, but didn't falter and was able to finish the task given to her by his brother. That person was traumatized by the incident for a long time, but the whole family survived the attack.

4. mc_oliver

mc_oliver
    Expand Collapse

I think the question you should be asking is; Do you want to survive?

If the answer is Yes, then do whatever it takes.

;)

5. bertud ng putik

bertud ng putik
    Expand Collapse

pag nasa bakuran mo na, shoot him. wag mo lang patayin. birahin mo sa hita.

6. mikol

mikol
    Expand Collapse

dilikado yan sa resbak dri pag-naka labas na sa huyo yang mga yan, tsaka magastos yan. dapat double tap sa ulo tsaka sa dibdib para dina makabalik pa. ;f ;) ;) di ba bosing mc_o? ;e

7. Kiddo

Kiddo
    Expand Collapse

dont shoot to injure. dont shoot to kill. shoot to stop the threat.

8. mikey177

mikey177
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

The only verbal warning any intruders are going to get from me is the sound of my shotgun being racked.

Other than that, I second what Alexii and Isuzu said about the need for preparedness and conditioning. Have a plan, but also be prepared to improvise if things get hairy.

9. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

whateva!

always keep in mind the 3 cardinal rules of self defense

1. there must be an unlawful aggression
    2. reasonable necessity of the means employed to prevent or repel
    2. no provocation on your part

all 3 rules must be satisfied for your action to qualify as self defense.

friendly reminder: let us always keep in mind the GT rules, as the topic of this thread is sensitive.;)

10. SMSTRICK

SMSTRICK
    Expand Collapse
    "WE THE PEOPLE"

If a man gets into my home at night,....I am not going to ask him what he wants. I will protect my life,...as well as the lives and wellfare of my family. The man dies,....period. The way that I see it,..he would have had more time to plan a break in to my home than I would have to do what may be neccesary to defend it. In such a scenerio,...he would be suffering the consequences for his actions. (justice)......Even if he were to not be armed with a gun,...he would at least be found with a pair of finger nail clippers....If this were to happen,...I could always have it put into the report that I was in fear of being hijacked.

11. atmarcella

atmarcella
    Expand Collapse

my rifle is always at my bedside inside a rifle bag, i can access it in less than 5secs., my motto is to shoot first, ask questions later:)

12. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

oist rifle na yan ha, masakit yan ;f (its gonna hurt ;f)

13. Allegra

Allegra
    Expand Collapse

I'm rrally more woried about missing my target

14. atmarcella

atmarcella
    Expand Collapse

naka bili pko sa gunshow sa pascual ng parang clip w/c enable you to clip another magazine to the mag already inserted, i forgot what its called, w/c means me 60rnds ako at my disposal hehehehehehehe kung matalo pko ewan kna^8

15. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

wanna get a red bandana? ;f
    [​IMG]

16. VICARA

VICARA
    Expand Collapse

When i put up the question on this thread, I'm a bit cautious because, as 9mx mentioned, its a little sensitive. On occasions, when an acquaintance learn that I'm into this sport, a blend of gasp and roll of the eyes is what I get. Most of the time, I have to change the conversation to something else because I know I cannot let them understand my conviction about the issue.

How much more the likelihood of shooting somebody even to defend yourself, family or property.

One story I like to share: early last year in Vegas, theres this big story that ticked some nerve on both sides of the gun debate. A guy came home to an intruder in his own home. The 2 BGs were surprised by the homeowner in the middle of scouring the house. They beat the hell out of the poor homeowner, fortunately, hindi nila tinuluyan yung mama. Nakaya pa niyang nakuha yung baril niya sa bedroom and here's the catch: he chased them out on the street, outside his house and unload his fury/frustration killing one instantly and wounding the other. To make the story short, dinala sila pareho (suspect and victim) to the same hospital, recovered and released. Here comes the investigation. There were court scenes and you know what happened? The homeowner victim was sentenced to 5 years in jail!

Also an item to consider is the kind of ammo for your home defense. Pag tumagos at matamaan ang mga neighbors, 'masakit' din yun.

Kidding aside, all the postings above makes sense. Alexii and isuzu, i like your 'preparedness' angle. I guess the event that triggers a deadly response is the weapon in the hands of the intruder/s. Say, multiple trespassers, but only one has a visible weapon. I have to assume they are all armed and all has to be dealt accordingly.

Ini-imagine ko lang kung ano ang physcological(tama ba spelling nun?) impact after you shoot somebody. Dead, I mean.

17. vega

vega
    Expand Collapse

There's no such thing as "shoot to maim." I suggest try IPSC, pag pressure ang shooter minsan double mike sa target, what more if you just want to shoot the legs. Puede pa sa itlog.;)

vega

18. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

psychological

:)

your story is very similar to what happened with sonny parsons (1st encounter), charges filed against him were dismissed though

19. isuzu

isuzu
    Expand Collapse

He got the 5 years because he went out of the confines of his residence to shoot his assailants. His position changed from defensive to an agressive one. Sadly, the axe will fall on you if you shoot somebody who's fleeing the engagement.

I wouldn't blame him for shooting the two assailants after what has been done to him. But the law is the law, especially in the US.

20. mikey177

mikey177
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

Vicara,

Would you happen to know if the other BG that broke into the guy's home also did jail time? It would really be a shame if the homeowner served time but the crook who beat the guy up got off scot free :(