close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

To SERVE and protect

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Naelbis, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Naelbis

Naelbis

Oct 22, 2009
    ND
    So I was at work today and something struck me about our newest crop of young newbies. Basically over the last two years we have replaced our entire patrol division except for the Sgt positions with rookies straight out of the academy. Every single one of them, without fail, is gungho to fight and slap the cuffs on everyone they come across that gives them an excuse. But every time we send them to a service call, you know the quality of life stuff or medical, they whine and complain about how that isn't their job and that they are cops not(insert other job description here). When did the SERVE part of To Serve and To Protect get lost? :crying:

2. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Does anybody else think Naelbis' avatar looks like a ******?

3. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    Dude, I have almost posted a question in several threads he has contributed to asking him WTF that is, exactly. I mean, I know what I think it is, but I'd like to know how far off base I am...

4. OldScribe2009

OldScribe2009

Jul 23, 2009
    Talk about off-topic...

5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    It's late, I'm tired, what can I say?

6. Naelbis

Naelbis

Oct 22, 2009
    ND
    Lol its a cropped picture of the Angel of Death, the fullsize was too big to use as an avatar.....Perverts...here is the fullsize version.:whistling:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  7. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    Back in the day, I helped change flat tires, break into cars with keys locked inside, and our cars in my first PD had a special hook-up to make it easier and safer to jump-start cars.

My first PD's motto: Service is our most important product
    (Small department, small town, back in the 1970s when PDs were cleaning up their images)

8. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    YES. You are not alone. Crop it a little tighter and there it would be.

Naelbis: Hopefully you can get these new guys pointed in the right direction.

9. USAFE7

USAFE7 Retired USAF-SP

Feb 5, 2011
    Alabama
    Same thing.......

10. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    No I don't know, what exactly is Quality of life "stuff"? and why are cops sent on medical calls?

11. Hunca Munca

Hunca Munca nonplussed

Dec 20, 2006
    allegheny county
    There are usually more squad cars than ambulances. So, a squad car usually can get there more quickly than an ambulance. Thus, when the caller and all of the neighbors look outside they see something with blinky lights and are happy with a "quick response", even if the responding officer has the medical skills and knowledge of a dead squirrel.

12. lwt210

lwt210

Nov 28, 2001
    Alabama
    We had a call the other day where dispatch sent two units to a "74 year old female who is delusional and medics advise that they have to use restraints".

Not only are medics there but there is also a pumper truck as the FD responds to all med calls.

So in essence, there is already five or six folks there dealing with the 74 year old woman.

Asinine.

Basically, it came down to "lets call the PD so that they can assume the liability if this old lady's arm falls of when we manhandle her."

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    There's a fine line, no doubt about it. And each community is going to draw the line differently---I'm not talking about the elected morons, but the broader community expectations.

14. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    I know a lot of stuff now is liability. That dreaded word. We don't open cars anymore for people because our department kept getting sued for "damaging" the vehicle. So of course instead of fighting it, they'd pay the person $2000 to go away because it was cheaper. So eventually we just stopped opening cars and making them call a locksmith. Same thing with jumps, it'll fry some of our electronics because our cars aren't wired correctly. We make them call a tow truck.

As to serving. I was just reminded yesterday. I had a problem with a kid a couple of months ago when he was being disrespectful. I called his mom and she came down and said she'd take care of it. I saw her last night on an unrelated call and she said that they haven't had a single problem with him since that day.

15. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    I thought is was a little man.....nevermind

16. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
    Nothing smaller?

17. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    We have at least one car on every shift that carries an AED. To the best of my knowledge they have never been used though.

18. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    Hey, u.gotta justify that $300,000 expense somehow.