Glock Talk banner

to people with spyware and viruses

2K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  frefoo 
#1 ·
how the hell do you get it? i have my computer for 4 years at home, 2 years laptop, 4 years at work.
not once, i repeat, not once i get spyware or any kind of virus. nothing on adware, and nothing on NAV.

so, how do you do it? this always baffles me.

#27 ·
I look at it this way. Since MS and virus writters and other deviants want to screw up the world I am more than happy to fix peoples machines for $$$$.

#28 ·
Originally posted by gudel
how the hell do you get it? i have my computer for 4 years at home, 2 years laptop, 4 years at work.
not once, i repeat, not once i get spyware or any kind of virus. nothing on adware, and nothing on NAV.

In addition to the other postings, many websites with common mis-spellings of legit sites.

#29 ·
Originally posted by jrny
In addition to the other postings, many websites with common mis-spellings of legit sites.
Just the other day I got a message from CitiBank that I need to click this link to "update" my profile with CitiBank. Not only do I not do business with CitiBank, the link that I was directed to was not a CitiBank URL. I was in Linux so just for fun I clicked the link. Imediately I got a box that said, "Your browser is not Win32 compatible so the page cannot be loaded."

That's how you get that junk.

#33 ·
Originally posted by gudel

My first and last virus was when I left a floppy disk my friend gave me in the drive when I rebooted my Windows 95 box. (about 8 years ago).

As a consultant, the biggest problem I am seeing is with laptops going from the ABC Company office network to XYZ Company office network. It only takes 1 person to bring in an infected laptop from home to start spreading the sh!$ around.

The average user in Sales or Management is clueless about keeping the OS patched or "up2date". They get infected and then bring the infected machine to work.

From there it just spreads to other users just as unaware.

Despite my attempts at education it is still an endless cycle.

But it does pay the bills.

[edit]

One company I go to now kills the infected users network connection at the router (good for them). In order to get back on the network someone has to visit your desk, run the AV scans, once your computer is "clean" they will make a phone call and you are back on.

[end edit]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.