close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

To dovetail the slide or not??????

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Climbhard, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Climbhard

Climbhard

Jun 10, 2010
    Denver
    So I recently acquired a really nice SA Trophy Match 1911 in stainless for target shooting. Going to try a little IDPA shooting as well. The thing is, I think I would want a fiber optic front sight to go with the adjustable rear target sights but the front sight is a post. My gunsmith can't find / doesn't think a FO front sight replacement is available without cutting a dovetail. Question is : Do I cut the slide or not ???? Part of me doesn't want to alter the character of the pistol by putting it under the saw but part of me thinks a could shoot it and enjoy it more putting the red dot on the target. Thoughts? FYI. This is my first 1911 so I am probably over-emphasizing the importance of maintaining the integrity.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Dawson makes a sight that fits. no additional cutting of the slide needed

here's my TM with a Dawson
    [​IMG]

and my 9mm Loaded with a Dawson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: i don't know if the older/original TM's were staked on sights.

Forgot to add that the TGO-1 uses a Dawson sight as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010

3. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

Quack, are those U shaped rear sights stock or aftermarket?..

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    not U shaped, just looks like that since I was focusing on the front sight.

the TM & Loaded have the Springfield adjustable sights, and the TGO-1 has a BoMar.

5. Climbhard

Climbhard

Jun 10, 2010
    Denver
    Those are all dovetailed sites. My fron site is stakes and that's my dilemma. To cut a dovetail in the slide or not. If the newer TM came dovetailed, I guess I'm not hurting "value" any

6. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    It's still just a Trophy Match and not something like an original Colt or Remington-Rand, so your not really hurting the value of it.

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    I thought you had a FO front sight already?

8. Climbhard

Climbhard

Jun 10, 2010
    Denver
    "I've added a fiber optic front sight and grips from a TRP. I am 100 percent happy with my choice. "

Ahh, the gun was at the smith when I typed that to have it done and I thought it would ber taken care of. Yesterday I learned that he can't find a post type replacement and told me that to put a FO on he would have to dovetail the slide. Hence, my thread.

9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I didn't realize the older TMs had posted front sights.

10. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Jul 10, 2001
    Alabama
    HiViz makes a stake-on fibre optic front sight. The tenon would have to be cut to fit your Springfield which has a mortise intermediate between old Colts and late Colts.
    http://www.hivizsights.com/Colt-1911-C24.aspx

I would go with the dovetail. It isn't going to hurt the resale value of a current production gun and it will give you more choice in sights.

11. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I agree with Jim.

12. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    They already milled off most of the slide for the adjustable rear, I'd make the front match.