close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

To clean up the wood or not.

Discussion in 'Military Surplus Forum' started by GNut76, Apr 30, 2010.

1. GNut76

GNut76 Got Guns??

Jan 17, 2004
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I have an M1 that I'm thinking of cleaning up a bit with mineral spirits. Right now the stock has the Normandy look....ie very dark wood salty. It's a 42 reciever with a 52 barrell so it's seen real use. Has anyone done this and how are the results? I'm thinking this over in my head and would like some feedback.:supergrin:

2. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Arkansas Ozarks
    I've cleaned up dozens of M1 rifle and M1 carbine stocks. Life is too short to own a ugly gun. Here's some pictures of a carbine project I did back in the winter.

Disassembled but before I stripped the old oil finish off.

[​IMG]

The stock stripped down to the bare black walnut.

[​IMG]

The metal parts going into my parts soaker for a overnight soak in mineral spirits.

[​IMG]

The stock after it's first hand rubbed coat of Boiled Linseed Oil mixed with mineral spirits. If you don't cut the BLO it will take months to dry.

[​IMG]

In between about half a dozen coats of BLO, I work on cleaning up the metal parts.

[​IMG]

Finished project.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2010