close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

to carry a bug or not to carry a bug?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Madmax1010, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Madmax1010

Madmax1010
    Expand Collapse

Hello

I did a search and found some info on this and am re-asking the question
    because I am looking for some possibly some new opinions on this.:dunno:

So if this is a horse beaten to death for you just don't reply don't mean to irritate anyone.

thanks all

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Japle

Japle
    Expand Collapse
    John, Viera, Fl

Sure, why not? If you can conceal a main gun, you probably have some room for a BUG.

I carry my XDm 3.8 9MM on my right side and a P3AT in my left front pocket. That way, there's a gun available to each hand.
    If I'm close to people I don't know and have no reason to trust, I just put my left hand in my pocket on the .380. It makes for a fast, sneaky draw.

[​IMG]

3. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER
    Expand Collapse

If you can do it, I guess it isnt a problem... I do not however feel the need to... One is enough for me

4. BamaBud

BamaBud
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

One for each hand ALWAYS. Never know how someone/something can "trap" your hand(s).

And a hand in the pocket, gripping the BUG, doesn't tip anyone off. A lot less than a hand on main weapon in holster.

5. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

Def carry a BUG. One thing I like about shoulder holsters is the ability to draw with my right or left hand.

6. up1911fan

up1911fan
    Expand Collapse

I carry either a Ruger LCR or LCP in my left front pocket. Glock on the right hip.

7. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14
    Expand Collapse

Yep, if you have a BUG, why not carry? Weak side draw is a good defense if your main CCW is not available. Faster than a mag change, or speedloader anytime. Check Mas Ayoob, or Jim Cirrilo's publications if you have any second thoughts. Your life is entitled to the best tools to survive in this world.

8. up1911fan

up1911fan
    Expand Collapse

While I do carry a BUG, I don't think it's any faster to drop the primary, draw the BUG from the pocket with the support hand and either fire or transfer the the dominant hand than it is to do a mag change.

9. Shootinbil

Shootinbil
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I carry 2 S&W J frame 638 and 49 one in my front pant pocket ( right side) and one in my coat pocket ( right side). In black hawk pocket holsters.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. TKOFaith

TKOFaith
    Expand Collapse
    The InTIMidator

If you're gonna carry a BUG, it had better be a Noisy Cricket!

[​IMG]

Now THAT's What I'm talkin' 'bout! :alien:

11. Seraph1926

Seraph1926
    Expand Collapse

wasn't it Clint Smith that said 2 is one and one is none?

12. Bushflyr

Bushflyr
    Expand Collapse
    ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Millennium Member

He was talking about 1911's. :whistling:

But seriously. Why not carry two BUG's? Three? A backup makes sense when you are LE or Mil and your weapon is a first line tool. As a civilian your pistol is at least your third or fourth line of defense. At that level carrying yet another gun is pointless.

13. Clay1

Clay1
    Expand Collapse

I recall his quote as: One is none, two is OK and three - "now you have something".

14. freeride88

freeride88
    Expand Collapse

I carry a backup on duty, but rarely off-duty. Frankly, I just don't have the pocket space for a backup, with the wallet, badge case, cell phone, knives, keys, etc.

15. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

I carry a BUG on duty. Rarely carry one off-duty. I do carry a spare magazine off-duty.

16. nursetim

nursetim
    Expand Collapse

Illegal in nm.

17. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo
    Expand Collapse
    Amsterdam Haze

I've carried up to 3 at one time.

18. tuica

tuica
    Expand Collapse

Really! - My G36 (45ACP - Big Bullets!), that I have on my hip as I type this in the dangerous County Library might be viewed by some as not adequate defense or even counted as none? What neighborhoods do y'all travel through? And how many gunfights per week? Not trying to be too critical - but one can sometimes take any concept to a unreasonable level. Have a safe and Merry Christmas.

19. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer
    Expand Collapse

It's not the dangerous neighborhood argument. If it's dangerous, don't go there.

The argument is the same as the Israeli carry, extra mag debate.

1. You probably don't need a gun much
    2. If you do, you probably won't shoot it.
    3. If it is a some financially motivated crook, deterrence with one gun probably works.
    4. But what if you get into a really intensive critical incident - and this does happen:

a. You can't get at your dominant gun - injury or grabbed. Ever notice how folks get shot in the gun hand in FOF?
    b. Your primary bellies up. Happens all the time in matches, so it's a possibilty.

Thus, the bug is for the screwup in a really intensive incident. Not the waving a gun at a mugger at a distance who flees.

You decided the risk level you want to deal with. You probably don't need a gun at all.

But if you get into a serious fight - do you want to be prepared for the screwups? There are quite small bugs that probably won't impact you much. Yes, they don't have MEGABLASTER stopping power for that meth head, zombie, giant football coach who is love with you.

I suggest a NAA 22 S minirevolver (that's joke - I have one). A 380, J frame, small 9 - they work. Do I always carry one - no - that's my risk analysis or lack there off.

But my point is to drop the dangerous neighborhood silliness. Once a gun fight starts, by definition all neighborhoods are dangerous. If yuppie moms or denizens of some crappy part of town are attacking - that's dangerous.

20. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I believe it’s wise to carry a back up gun. There are many good reasons to do so.

Many here at GLOCKTALK will tell you it’s unnecessary, many will tell you it’s a good idea.

I do because what if you lose your primary weapon in the course of a fight? A back up gun could save your bacon. I don’t see a down side to having a back up.