close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

To AK-74...or not to AK-74

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by infiniti0505, Feb 26, 2009.

1. infiniti0505

infiniti0505

Dec 2, 2008
    I have an itch for the AK-74 due to the cost of the gun itself and the price of ammo. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the 74. Accuracy? Dependability? If you have one, pictures would be nice too!!:whistling: Thanks in Advance!

2. kiss holsters

kiss holsters

Feb 9, 2009
    go for it i have a polsh tantal i love i can get 2000 rounds for $300 and it is ak it will eat what ever you feed it.
    [​IMG]

3. infiniti0505

infiniti0505

Dec 2, 2008
    Thats a beautiful Tantal! I have seen Tantals browsing the web and they are going between 500 and 600, is that a average price?

4. kiss holsters

kiss holsters

Feb 9, 2009
    thank you. i paid $530 otd. i just ran about 500 rounds today. i love it

5. gp35fn

gp35fn

Nov 10, 2007
    I've been shooting 5.45x39mm since 1998 when I picked up my first Romanian CURII AK, have CURII's, SAR2 and Bulgarian SLR105. The AK74 is easy on the recoil, super accurate, and of course reliable-of all the AK versions out there my favorite.
    One of my CURII
    [​IMG]
    and one of my SLR105
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  6. ContractSoldier

ContractSoldier

Nov 15, 2007
    Dependability: Same as the AK47

Accuracy: Better then the AK47

7. G31Steve

G31Steve LiveFreeOrDie

Jul 11, 2005
    Land O' Lakes,FL
    When the 5.45x39 ammo was dirt cheap I thought about doing it but didn't. Wish I had, with the way things are now I don't want to add another caliber to the safe.Now if I bought an non-7.62 AK it would be a 5.56 NATO gun like the SLR 106f. In fact there are two collecting dust at a local shop but Ive seen a lot of guys on other boards having trouble with the 106 and that keeps me away.

8. Noodles McGee

Noodles McGee

Jul 25, 2008
    CT
    What moved me to the 545 instead of the 556 was ammo and mags.

Ammo was 120 a can and mags were about 10bucks each.

I'm still happy with my 74s

9. bodu

bodu

Feb 24, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I recently bought an Interarms Tantal from RGuns for $599 and 2160 rounds for $265. It is the best deal out there now IMO. No keyholing like the Century's.

It is a winner. Besides muzzle blast, I swear it is almost like shooting a .22 mag. The muzzle break is very effective and makes it extremely easy to shoot A LOT.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  10. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    My 2c, I have shot alot of AK's and Ammo over the years believe me, I still enjoy taking one of my Maadis or Chinese type 56's out for a day at the range, I have Sar-2's and 3's, but years ago at a small show, a guy I know had a Romak MKII on his table with EG brown plastic furniture for $ 230 OTD, I told him to keep his furniture for $30 and took the MKII, home where a neighbor and I added the then easy to find and get from K-Var 22mm FSB and 22mm Comp. I added a Romanian side folder, Bulgarian red plastic bakelite PG and bakeliet upper/lower. Took it to the range with some 5.45x39, and EG 30 rd mags....WOW I was hooked, little or no recoil, very accurate, and only problem was the bakeliet got very hot quick, I substituted and sold the bakelite hg's with SAR Romanian palm swell wood, and love this thing.
    You cant go wrong with one, but now, a CUR2 or MKII, are very expensive, if you can find one, the ammo is still cheaper than 7.62, and the mags are an arm and a leg to buy if you find any.

11. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    I went cheap with my AK-74. I bought a brand new WASR II back when they were $289. NO problems with it at all.

12. GLOCK35TX

GLOCK35TX As seen on TV

Jul 5, 2005
    Texas - DFW
    I almost bought into the 74 - BUT - thought that since all the ammo was imported from one source "Russia",,,, imports can be delayed - by the Russians or the US.
    Future conflicts might delay imports - Russians invading Georgia for example
    Future polititcs between the US and Russia could delay, stop ammo imports

I decided to go with 5,56mm
    5,56 ammo - found all over the US with dozens of bullet loads, weights,...
    from dozens of companies... 5,56 is easily reloadable.
    5,56 casings are 6mm longer producing 20 more power.

Natural disaster (Katrina type) First responders (LE, National Guard) are bringing what ammo... 5,56 ...not 5,45.
    I know just buy alot of it..well that is if you can find it. It sells in the DFW Texas area for $12 for 20 rounds - unreloadable steel cased...
    Same price as 5,56 55gr FMJ brass cased ammo

I bought 2 Arsenal 106FR's (BD Series)..(18 mags) both have been 100% - and alot of fun to shoot. Now when I go out shooting the AR's usually get put away early so I can have more ammo for the 106's

Guns and Ammo Test of Arsenal 106FR
    http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/Best+Of+The+Avtomat+Breed?packedargs=pagenum%3D2

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  13. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    Even if the ammo somehow got banned from import, I can see US manufacturers gearing up and replacing the supply with US-made 5.45. It would be stupid not to and miss out on an entire market.

I don't necessarily see the 5.45 AKs as my first choice for go-to guns in some sort of Katrina scenario. I think they're more of a novelty. They're different, light shooting, cheap to shoot right now.
    I suppose in a disaster I would probably choose - believe it or not - my AMD-65 for deterrence. While the ammo is not compatible with whatever the National Guard or police are using, I don't intend to stay somewhere that I'd be considering resupply or ammo compatibility.

14. GLOCK35TX

GLOCK35TX As seen on TV

Jul 5, 2005
    Texas - DFW
    Ammo Manufacturers in the US: - they may not want to gear/tool up for a calliber that is used by a weapon..that might be banned or restricted..in the near future, especially considering all the pointless issues concerning ballistic fingerprinting each round...or the issue with "Green Ammo" - ammo that has no lead. The caliber might not have the long term potential ammo companies are looking for. They are driven by profit.

As for a Katrina type situation - you make due ..where ever you are/with what you have. At the time you may have no choice in the matter of where you are staying, be it in your heavily damaged house..or an empty office building..since your house is gone. Transportation right immediately after the storm is next to impossible.

15. rossshady120

rossshady120

Feb 15, 2009
    Am i the only one rolling 5.56?
    [​IMG]

folding stock, after market grip, rails, forward grip has a hidden stash, BSA red dot 2" at 25 yards

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  16. P.K.

P.K.

Feb 10, 2008
    I think a Saiga in .223 would be more practical since that round is made here in the U.S. I'm not knocking the 5.45 by all means. It just that those mags are hard to come by, that's why went with the 7.62x39. Plus you can the 7.62x39 in soft point which make a good self defense round.

17. rossshady120

rossshady120

Feb 15, 2009

i hate fake saiga converts there wanna be's

SLR-106F - Stamped receiver, 5.56 NATO caliber, Left-side folding stock, 24mm muzzle brake, bayonet lug, accessory lug, stainless steel heat shield, and 2 stage trigger.

Out of Production
    • In Stock
    • MSRP $900.00

got mine 799.99 gun show i saw 3 they were taxing

18. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    Aside from 7.62, I also do AKs in 5.56...
    [​IMG]

and 5.45...
    [​IMG]

19. P.K.

P.K.

Feb 10, 2008
    There's nothing wrong with the 74 but think about calibers. Do you already have a x39 AK? or two? Even though ammo is cheap for it, it will be another caliber you'd have to buy, stock up and take more room. If it's your first AK then I would go for it.