close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TN EMTs will be allowed to carry?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by 357wheelgunner, Apr 5, 2005.

1. 357wheelgunner

357wheelgunner
    Expand Collapse

My First Responder instructor told me, when I asked if I could carry while on my clinicals, that I could not right now, but soon they are changing the laws in TN so that EMT crews would be allowed to carry while on duty. She also said that the helicopter crews would be required to carry, due to new Homeland Security rules. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. jlw_84

jlw_84
    Expand Collapse
    General Glocker

Well I'm not in TN, although I'd like to be, I haven't heard anything in my neck of the woods.

Please, keep us informed.

3. vbscout

vbscout
    Expand Collapse

I am not in TN. but I am in Va. I have not heard about being allowed to carry. I think that it will be a good idea; especially for us hear in the back woods. Please keep me informed. Thanks:cool:

4. jim2037

jim2037
    Expand Collapse

Oh if only we could carry in NC and SC!!!!!

Jim

5. obxprnstar

obxprnstar
    Expand Collapse
    Goth Lover

I have wanted a gun while on duty with one exception in my eight years on the job.

The issue I have is if you are carrying you then have another distractor, a potentially deadly one, while you should be caring for your patient. You begin to worry about sheilding your gun etc.

6. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846
    Expand Collapse

Funny you should bring that up. I was a Para Medic back in Iowa in the 70's. I would say about half the guys I knew packed heat even though it was illegal. The Local LEOs knew we did and never said much about it. I only remember one incident of one of our guys drawing his weapon, but the incident was hushed up by us and the local LEOs. It was a rightous defense move by the way, but no shots were fired.
    Its my opinion that all Para-Medics should pack heat and have some law enforcement powers, the more dangerous the area the more powers.
    JMHO
    DA

7. obxemt

obxemt
    Expand Collapse
    Chaplain of CT

Extremely poor idea. There's no place for a firearm in an EMS unit unless it is attached to a police officer.

8. obxprnstar

obxprnstar
    Expand Collapse
    Goth Lover

In my original post I meant to say I have only wanted a gun once, and that was when LE put us in a dangerous situation, things worked out for the best though.

^6 Two words folks, "Weapon retention."

I do not want to be running my call and at the same time worrying about my sidearm. When doing patient care, providing that care is 99% of my focus, with 1% saved for paying attention to my surroundings.

9. Rollo Tamasey

Rollo Tamasey
    Expand Collapse

Although I am not an EMT I think they should be allowed to carry and have something written in to the law that if their gun accidently shows while they are in uniform they won't get in trouble. That way if they are working on patient they would not worry if it shows or be distracted by it. With this type of holster it could be one of those new inside the waste band retention holsters so no one could just grab it out of holster. Another option would be smart carry since this hold gun in front unless it has a really big handle it never shows.

I guess I am so used to having a cwp that with a small to medium frame gun I have actualy forgotten I am wearing one. One time I actually went back in my house to look for it then relized I had not taken it off.

10. obxemt

obxemt
    Expand Collapse
    Chaplain of CT

Edited at the advice of redneckmedic!

11. 357wheelgunner

357wheelgunner
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I somehow expected a little more self reliance from a bunch of EMTs. Most EMTs I know carry whether legal or not, and more power to them. Why is a policeman's gun any more safer than yours or mine? If an EMT wants to carry let him, it is his choice and his ass if he loses control of his weapon. Everyone has a right to self defense, and even more so if you are just trying to help people.

People like those here who want to stop EMTs from carrying are the reason that I got a degree in Drafting and Design instead of being a Paramedic, you poor guys have to deal with bullsh*t from all sides, including fellow EMTs who want to tell you what to do.

EMTs should get more powers and more pay, they deserve it for what they do.

12. obxemt

obxemt
    Expand Collapse
    Chaplain of CT

More powers? Powers to do what? Start IVs and deliver medical care? EMS is NOT law enforcement. If they want to carry a gun on duty and can't function without one, they need to get into law enforcement. If they're carrying illegally, just like anyone else, they need to head to the local jail.

13. Bubbamedic

Bubbamedic
    Expand Collapse

Originally posted by obxemt

He said nothing about Medics being exempt from Accidental Dischages, only from incidental printing or the gun being exposed. You should pay better attention to what you read.

I personally don't carry at work but I would if it was allowed.

14. obxemt

obxemt
    Expand Collapse
    Chaplain of CT

Thanks for the pointer, Roscoe, I'll take that under advisement. ;g ;z It's especially meaningful to me after noting your near 3-month membership and 58 posts.

15. 357wheelgunner

357wheelgunner
    Expand Collapse

This is rediculous, I'll spell it out for you slowly so you get what we're talking about:

A gun on an EMT's hip is not there for law enforcement, simply SELF DEFENSE. I don't think EMTs should be cops, they do enough as it is. I do believe that they deserve to have the proper tools to defend themselves. Your repeating of the exact same thing is a perfect example of the mess that beurocracies get us into: people who can't think for themselves.

If an EMT wants to stash a J-frame or a Glock 26 in a smart carry, more power to him. Be careful out there guys, and do whatever it takes to keep yourselves safe. Play to win....

16. obxemt

obxemt
    Expand Collapse
    Chaplain of CT

You're right, this IS rediculous. Your repeating of the exact same thing is indicitive of the mess that pro-gun wackos get us into: people whose lack of articulation and inability to funtion in society make them feel that a firearm in their pants is necessary to compensate; complicated by their own flawed logic and lack of intellect, used in failed attempts to insult others.

Luckily, firearms in ambulances in my state are illegal and will remain so for some time.

17. podwich

podwich
    Expand Collapse

Well, I don't agree with those who think that guns should be illegal in ambulances, but what do I know? I'm a helpless inarticulate.

;Q

18. DCSO0322

DCSO0322
    Expand Collapse
    GIGGITY

This world has gotten to the point that there are departments that issue kevlar vests to their EMT's and paramedics. If the world is that dangerous of a work enviornment let them carry. But first they must go through firearms training course and if they don't pass they don't carry. Simple as that, if they can't do it right they can't do it.
    But what do I know? just my $.02

19. DaleGribble

DaleGribble
    Expand Collapse
    Sandwich!

What does his length of time and post count on this board have to do with this discussion?

20. IDC

IDC
    Expand Collapse

I have been on calls where if i was CCW there would be another Pt. I do carry a 3" 10ga. which i must say is more intimidating to some people then a 45. Bottom line rule one: is the scene safe? if LE isn't present im not going in till they are.