close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Titanium firing pin safety

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by nraman, Mar 13, 2012.

1. nraman

nraman

Anybody own one of those aftermarket Titanium firing pin safeties? Their color is golden.
    Are they made out of Titanium or are they steel with titanium nitride coating?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

They are titanium and will lighten your wallet far more than your trigger pull.:whistling:

3. nraman

nraman

OK, just to double check, the metal is titanium and it is coated with titanium nitride.
    I got the impression that they called them "titanium" because of the coating.
    My wallet is never too heavy, the wife takes care of any extra weight.:supergrin:

4. jayhuh

jayhuh

What he said. Leave it stock, practice with it and learn to shoot it.

5. nraman

nraman

It is curiosity more than anything else. I can understand Tin coated steel, I can't understand Tin coated titanium.

6. bentbiker

bentbiker

Titanium nitride is much harder than titanium. Thus, the titanium plunger is coated with Ti nitride for abrasion resistance. This is one of the biggest improvements you can make to your trigger pull -- not because of the weight of the plunger, or even the lighter spring that it allows; the biggest improvement comes from the improved profile -- a larger radius on the shoulder. With it, you will no longer feel the depression of the plunger on that first round, and there is less tendency for the trigger bar to be forced outward against the slide when it hits the plunger.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

+1 I have two of these best trigger improvement you can get.

8. Rollbar

Rollbar Minister-KF7JKO

This is one of the first mods I was thinking about doing when I buy my Glock but my question is, can this be considered modifying said weapon in a court of law/getting leaned on harder for that etc. My son installed the Ghost 3.5 trigger on his new Glock and I have shot it stock/w/the 3.5 and the 3.5 is much better, but I am going to leave mine stock due to the reason I mentioned, if it is in fact a legitimate reason.

It will be my CCW weapon, and my son w/his 3.5 trigger on his as well.

What say ye?

Thanks,
    Jim

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. spartanranger

spartanranger

Which specific one have you you guys used? I am interested in getting one but not sure which to get.

10. bentbiker

bentbiker

Lightning Strike.

11. xXGearheadXx

xXGearheadXx

the titanium FP safety does absolutely nothing. Same with the lightened fp safety spring.

Rollbar, i wouldn't worry about that too much. (disclaimer, not a lawyer or expert) Assuming you have to use your gun in self defense, a connector or other modification won't make you any more or less criminally liable. It's either a good shoot or a bad one. If you get moved to civil court (sued for wrongful death by the BG's family) you'll be have an attorney anyways. A good one should make short work of any BS arguement regarding what type of evil gun, modification or ammunition.

12. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

You are right, I think the profile makes the difference.

13. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

Read Massad Ayoob's book "The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry." One thing he suggests is that you not modify your carry weapon in any way. Apparently the new trend is, instead of proving you shot when you weren't justified but to prove that you shot the person accidentally. One bit of "evidence" they use to "prove" this is that if your weapon has a light trigger pull, you accidentally fired. Ayoob explains it better than I can but he is a veteran expert witness in countless court cases involving civilian use of a firearm.

Not quite the same thing but he also quotes a case where a person was possibly wrongly convicted because the reloads in his gun (a .38 special) were in +p-marked cases but were a light load, which caused issues with the GSR.

After reading it I am considering pulling my Smith 60 out of service to replace the mainspring with a factory one.

14. MikeG36

MikeG36

Can anyone name an actual case where someone was charged tried and or a civil case where someone was sued because their weapon was modified?

I'd appreciate hearing about it because I've always thought this was true however, I have not been able to locate a case. I've read articles where the author states this has happened but I could not track down a specific case based on the info in the article. Thanks in advance.

15. Rollbar

Rollbar Minister-KF7JKO

Thanks all, I to would like to get this cleared up. I also would like to get the 3.5 trigger because of the travel issue I have w/Glocks stock trigger (at least on my sons Gen4).

16. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

+1 And those who say it does absolutely nothing apparently have severe nerve damage in their trigger finger. My wife even noticed the difference in her 26.

17. duppyman3

duppyman3

Titanium FP safety with a lightened FP spring does make the trigger pull feel lighter on my glock 34 that I use for competition. Bought mine from glockworx. But I would recommend getting the 6 pound trigger springs and a minus connector (stay away from glockworx connector feels gritty if you drop your mags in dirt and then re-insert into gun) to get the max benefit.

18. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

I will re-read the chapter when I get a chance, but I think he is extrapolating his opinion from the various kinds of BS he sees in courtrooms, and the general anti-gun bias he sees. For instance, one poor fellow had the fact that he carried two extra mags for his 1911 used against him. He was saved by the fact that he carried that same style of weapon and same number of magazines in the Marines. There was another case where the fact where a guy's reloads may have cost him his freedom (that one was complicated). His point was that, to the officer that shows up on the scene, the prosecutors and the jury the waters are muddy enough. Don't make them worse. His basic principle is to learn to shoot what you have as it came. He doesn't feel that lightened triggers are necessary, and the advantage of them doesn't outweigh the problems they can cause.

All of that said his primary focus was on people using competition-only connectors in Glocks , carrying 1911s with trigger pulls under two pounds, as well as cocking a single action to hold a bad guy - things like that.

Massad Ayoob is an authority on civilian carry of firearms, including preparation, tactics, and the aftermath. It would behoove anyone to consider what he says.