close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tip at Applebees carside to go?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Schrag4, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Schrag4

Schrag4

Am I supposed to tip when picking up food at Applebees carside to go? I may have avoid eating there for a while since I don't like spit in my food :whistling:

My wife and I figured the carside service isn't much different than someone bringing your food to the counter at McDonald's, but they left us with a receipt on a clipboard that has a place to specify a tip and no place for a signature! Sure seems like they were expecting a tip.

What say you?

2. wvtarheel

wvtarheel

The designated carside to go employee makes less than minimum wage, just like a waiter or waitress. This occurs on the assumption that they will be tipped.

I do tip them, but rarely as much as I would an actual waiter, since the carside to go person can do a lot more "tables" in an hour than a waiter or waitress.

I usually drop them 10%, and I tip 15% for "as expected" service inside.

3. kiole

kiole

I don't tip them as I assumed they made at least minimum wage as they simply bag the food and hand it to you. Much like I don't tip the lady when picking up my Chinese takeout..

If they are not paying them a fair wage without tips then Applebees is to blame. I've always just walked in and grabbed my bag of food and paid.

4. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I don't think I'd tip for anything that's not actually dine in or delivery.

5. eruby

eruby

I don't tip. I don't believe in it.

ALL kidding aside, if I went to Applebbe's carside I'd probably give a few bucks to the person.

If female, you know what she'd have to do for me to "go above 12%".

6. cesaros

cesaros

When my wife worked the "to-go" of Chile's, she made minimum wage plus any tips that people gave her.

The to-go person isn't considered a waiter/waitress position, so they get paid a normal wage for their time spent working it.

I don't tip them, they don't do anything but charge my credit card and walk my food to me (a 15 foot walk)...basically would be the same as tipping a cop for giving me a ticket (a 15 foot walk...and charging my bank account) :whistling:

7. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

Pretty sure they are expecting a tip. Just like Sonic, only more expensive.

8. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04

I use to work at a restaurant and I think the Togo people made like $8 an hour, I'll tip them usually 10%

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

you should tip.

why ??

One reason is they are working

not sitting home on welfare.

another is you are sitting on your butt

and they are bringing you food.

If you are too cheap to tip stick to the drive through at Mickey D's.

10. whauburger

whauburger

My wife's friend is a bartender at Applebees so we go there sometimes. Sometimes the bartender runs the curbside orders out, sometimes a bar assistant, sometimes a designated person, sometimes a waitress with a smaller section of tables. Needless to say they make less then minimum wage and should be tipped (not saying as much as you would for full service).

I find it an amazing excuse for not tipping a person- "they only charge your credit card and walks food out 15 feet". Why don't you park get out of your car and walk the 15 feet inside and pick up your food? You should be tipping them for the convenience of not getting out of your car (especially depending on weather).

11. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Not only more expensive, but crap food.

Going to Sonic and paying less too? Win/win there.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

My guess is that if one could also go inside the restaurant to pick up the food order, that some sort of a tip is appropriate for the person that carries it out rather than forcing one to go inside. I would also guess the tip might be adjusted upwards depending on weather conditions.

My confusion regarding tipping is at Boston Market at where they will bring a real plate of food, sometimes with metal instead of plastic utensils, to one's table after ordering it and then presumably clear the table of the plate later.

13. Hyksos

Hyksos

I don't tip on pickup orders. I disregard the tip section when I do a take-out order. You wouldn't tip a Chipotle employee for assembling your food behind the counter. You don't tip the cooks in the kitchen who made it either. You tip the person who gave you good service. However, quite strangely I guess, I will sometimes throw my change into the tip jar at the local bagel shop.

14. Brucev

Brucev

If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat at the restaurant. Anything else is just merely excuse making... posturing... whining.

This is not old europe. Tipping in most decent restaurants is the norm. To do otherwise is an act of theft against the server.

15. Hyksos

Hyksos

Tipping a server? Sure...

Tipping for a pickup order? You're kidding right? Do you tip the supermarket employees when you go there and pick up a rotisserie chicken? No - because even though they made it, they didn't give you any service.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  16. Roger1079

Roger1079

I have never used the curbside pickup so I have never encountered this. I have always walked inside to the counter. I have also never left a tip for this. I see the take out counter as no different than any restaurant where you receive your food food from a counter and walk to a table to eat.

For delivery I normally leave 10%.

Dine in depends. If the service is good, i normally leave 20-25% depending on quality of service. If the service is average, 15%. If the service is terrible, or you piss me off, the possibility of getting nothing is there too. I have only left nothing on 2 occasions. The first was at a latin american restaurant in downtown Miami. Everything was fine until she brought the check. She hands it to me and says "Gringo, propina no esta incluida." which translates to "White boy, the tip is not included." She turned a 20% tip into 0% with those words. I wrote "Gracias" on the tip line.

The second time the service was just beyond awful. Everything that could be wrong with a restaurant experience was because she was to busy blabbing with her friends at another table to pay attention to the rest of her tables.

People in the food service industry understand that their primary source of income is through an OPTIONAL additional payment made by the guest. If they don't care about the extra money enough to provide proper service, than I don't care enough to leave it.

It is amazing though. My girlfriend waited tables for a while and you wouldn't believe how many people would come in and have a $60-$100 check, receive good service, and leave $2 for the server. It happened to her on serveral occasions and just sucks. There were some nights she would have over $1500 in sales, and after tipping out the bussers and bartenders would come home with $40.

17. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

I'm usually a 20% tipper if the service is acceptable. Here in Vegas we're used tipping everyone.

However, Applebees curbside is a different animal. When I visit my daughter in S.C. she loves to order to-go at Applebees...I'm buyin. I pay the same price for my food as the person sitting inside. I receive zero service from the person who delivers my food as I'm waiting in the car.

From an Applebees perspective, I'm an excellent source of revenue, in that I occupy zero space in their crowded dining area; there are no dishes to wash from my purchase; and I'm expected to supplement the salary of an often inexperienced employee who provides the absolute minimum in "service".

Zero tip from me in this case.

18. Schrag4

Schrag4

Do you tip at McDonald's? You don't? Apparently you can't afford to eat there! :tongueout: Or to put it another way, just because you can afford to tip doesn't mean it's appropriate. I'm simply asking if it's appropriate. The bad weather argument is the best one I've heard so far. Otherwise, I really don't see how them walking 15 feet is "serving me." The people that cooked the food did much more to serve me. But enough with the excuse making, posturing, and whining.

I was actually going to tip but my wife asked me why I would. And she's usually the generous one when it comes to tipping.

19. Schrag4

Schrag4

Kinda have to agree with this. Again, if the weather's bad I can see a tip being appropriate.

20. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

about mickyd's

I know of One occasion where a limo pulled up

got their food and tipped the window a $100 dollar bill.

as for curbside, no service=open the door and throw the food in the direction of the car.

Give them a buck or two if you do not have to pick your food up of the ground.