close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TINNITUS symptoms. What helps or hurts you.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SpectreRider, Mar 8, 2012.

1. SpectreRider

SpectreRider Armed Citizen

Many of us have TINNITUS. Most of us have not found anything that helps the ringing but have found a few things that make it worse.

If you have found something that has helped you, please share what that is.

Please be specific. Not "Ground Unicorn horn has helped me a lot".

Instead, " When taking 220mg. of Ground Unicorn horn from Demlabs three times a day I feel that the ringing has dropped by 40% and my awareness of the ringing has dropped by 90%. Improvement was not noticed until three weeks of treatment.

OTOH- If you have found that someting aggravates your symptoms, please share that.

For myself, I have not found anything that helps. I am interested in seeking relief if there seems to be any consus of a product or strategy that may help and does not seem to be dangerous.

What I have tried in the past is reducing/avoiding things that I have heard can make Tinnitus symptoms worse. Things like over the counter pain relievers, caffeine and louder noises.

I really hope something helpful turns up from the GT brain trust. Often I am able to ignore my Tinnitus. Lately, however, although I do not believe the ringing is any "louder", it seems that my awareness of it is nearly constant.

I have heard of Tinnitus sufferers who have commited suicide rather than endure the noise. While I am a LOOONG way from that kind of desperation, knowing that Tinnitus can drive anyone to such an end only serves to highlight the impact it can have in a sufferers life.

Thank you all for any help you can give.

2. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

I have tinnitus in my left ear, but don't really notice it because it's always there.
    (That's for making me think about it!)

Usually it stops if I get really, really drunk.

3. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sufferer since 2000.

Antihistamines help. Pseudo.

Aspirin has been known to make it worse. I do take a daily aspirin but never more than that.

Low blood sugar can cause, add to or amplify it.

4. IN RedLeg

IN RedLeg

A white noise generator helps a lot when you're trying to sleep.

5. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

The noise of a fan helps me.

6. Sgt.K

Sgt.K They Just Work!

Noise and time are the only things that work for me. Mostly habituated now, will be 3 years the 22nd. First month realizing was H E double toothpicks. My doc knew something was wrong, lost 6 lbs in less than a week, heart rate 120, BP 160/120 and I did have to take a sleep aid for about a couple of weeks. I took all of the so-called "natural" remedies with not much of an effect. Never spent any money on the books or pills off of the net. Downloaded some noise generators and my wife bought me one of the noise/sound clocks from avon I think. Just find something to occupy your mind with and include some nice background sounds and you'll get through this. HTH.

7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I've got tinnitus in my left ear and I have not found anything that really reduces the level of ringing.

In a normal social setting I can all but forget about it. In a quiet room it's ever present.

8. readingbill

readingbill

I'm waiting for my tinnitus to start forming words and talking to me so my life gets a little more interesting.

But really, it sucks. Mine ebbs and flows, and I've never been able to figure out a reason. Right now it's raging. I saw a doctor about it, and he explained that what I'm hearing is the frequency my ears no longer pick up, or something like that.

9. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

I've had a case of tinnitus since a head injury in 1980, liquor seemed to help but that got to be habit forming:wow: so I have learned to live with it. I use white noise for sleeping sometimes but not always, sometimes I use a sleeping aid. Does not bother me at work since its loud in the area that I do my job. I don't think I have found anything that makes it worse, its always going to be present. Hope you can deal with it and if you find a cure you will be a rich man.:cool:

10. CBennett

CBennett

I dont believe in it.

11. CBennett

CBennett

this is what my wife uses. I think she got it at bed bath and beyond :)

12. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Keep blood pressure low but reduce use of pain relievers, especially aspirin. Drink lots of water. Avoid physical pressure on the ear and jaw, it's better to use a soft pillow for sleeping. Consider elevating the head of your mattress a few inches. Avoid chewing gum, jerky, taffy, etc., and don't clench the teeth. Use ear muffs (rather than ear plugs) with any loud tools or appliances. For shooting, use both muffs and plugs.

13. Glocksanity

Glocksanity

Here is a great article about tinnitus from a TCM perspective.

Western medicine fails pretty badly when it comes to tinnitus because it does not understand the root energetic deficiencies that cause it. As long as there is no physiological root cause to the tinnitus, chinese herbs can be very effective.

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/tinmen.htm

14. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Reduce caffeine intake
    Get plenty of rest
    Keep stress levels low
    Keep low level white noise in the background
    Maintain healthy exercise regime
    Reduce alcohol intake (better to quit... but I like my whiskey)

Just a few things I do that seem to help. I have tinnitus pretty much my whole life as I can't remember a day in the last 44 years of not hearing my ears ring... and there are some days it really irritates me.

15. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I have a deviated septum, which results in the eustachian tube on the right side being constricted. It frequently closes off altogether, leading to irritation and inflammation in the middle ear. For a variety of reasons I got hit with the perfect storm of chronic media otitis a few years ago, which got exacerbated by a flight to San Antonio I couldn't avoid. By the time I landed in Texas all I could hear out of my right ear was the sound of cracking branches.

After steroids and antibiotics, everything was better, except for the ringing. It was bad for about 6 months ... I fully understand how it could drive someone to suicide. But over time it has gradually gotten better ... now what I hear is something like if you left an AM radio in the room, tuned to static with the volume turned down, and a tea pot whistling elsewhere in the house. I've gotten used to it.

Anyway, what makes it get worse from time to time is my eustachian tube will close off completely due to sinus inflammation, which seals the ear off so it cannot "breathe." I take sinus decongestants and Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold.

16. Washingtonrebel

Washingtonrebel

I have had it for as long as I can remember.

Not sure what helps but, if I take 4 advils, total of 800mg then the ringing is horrible, 3 or less I am fine.

I didn't associate caffeine with making it worse though, good to know.

17. Wyoming

Wyoming

18. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

i got it bad in right ear , after a truck battery blew up inches from my head. i sleep with a fan on .

most folks dont realize tinnitus is not a disease , its a symptom of something else . my mom said castor oil helps her but ive never tried it

but ,,,,,,,,,, if you could hook me up with unicorn horn id try it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  19. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Anything to keep blood pressure low and keep my sinuses clear helps... And a fan/air purifier running in the bedroom helps too.

Earplugs make it worse.

20. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    Nothing helps. Nothing.

No use getting depressed about it, that doesn't help either.

It's always there, but you do grow used to it.

I haven't thought about it in days, so THANKS A LOT!

:steamed:

j/k:tongueout:

The worst part is in the beginning, with the fear that it will drive you crazy or ruin your life somehow. A fan or other noisemaker may help at first.
    As time goes by, life goes on, and your awareness of it ebbs and flows.