close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Time to order primers and powder before they go out of stock everywhere?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by njl, Nov 8, 2012.

1. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    again?

Just wondering, how long before the panic buying clears the shelves at Powder Valley, Grafs, etc.

I'm thinking of trying some Federal primers. CCI's been my brand...but they have Federal SP on sale (and in stock). Opinions?

And if I'm going to order primers, might as well throw in a few jugs of powders to get the most out of the hazmat. Stick with H335 for .223 (for my ARs) or try CFE223?

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Better get what you can! Powder Valley has been out of small pistol primers in every brand except Tula.

I'm not too impressed with Tula but I might decide to buy some SPP just because. I have no idea how long the shelves will be bare.

Richard

3. JLM63

JLM63

Sep 11, 2010
    Indep, MO
    Small pistol has been spotty in my area for a couple of months. I can't afford to buy a lot at once, but I've been buying a little of something at paydays for a year now.

4. dukeguy

dukeguy

Jul 15, 2010
    I ended up buying Fed SP Magnum primers. Adjusted my load a little bit and they seem to work just fine. I also bought 1k of the Tula just to try them out. So far they go bang just like the Federals.

5. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    If your not stocked up already its probably to late.

6. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    I'm stocked up...but there's room for more.

7. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
  8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    It's kind of silly, I suppose, but I just ordered 5k each of Tula SP and LP primers. I have more than 5k each of those primers in Federal but who knows when I will be able to get Federal SP again.

So, when I make my next batch of ammo, I'll use up the Tula first, saving the Federal for later on.

It doesn't take many line items to hit $400 at Powder Valley :rofl:

Richard

9. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    Tell me about it. I just spent more than double that at grafs.
    3 different powders (8lb each), and 17k primers. Ouch.

On the bright side, I think I just about maxed out what they can put on a single hazmat.

10. dla

dla

Oct 19, 2002
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Self-fulfilling prophecy.

You guys are silly.

11. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    It was fulfilling for somebody! Powder Valley has been out of quality small pistol primers for quite a while. Winchester, Remington, Federal and CCI are simply not available. There may be a store here and there that still has some but the big sellers are all out of stock.

I suspect the problem will resolve itself. It always has, later than sooner.

But here in California, we just barely dodged a bullet (so to speak) on outlawing Internet purchases of ammo and components in the last Legislative session. Now that no Republican vote in the Legislature is required to pass anything, that law will be back and passed by the veto-proof Democrat majority. No doubt about it! We will be out of the Internet purchase business in the VERY NEAR FUTURE.

It gets down to buying what you can, when you can and hoping against logic that things will work out.

Richard

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA

??

They have Federal small MAGNUM primers available right now. During the last primer "crunch" of 2009, I loaded probably 30,000 of these, either Federal or CCI in my 9mm ammo. There are plenty of threads on here about it.

Yes, you do need to "rework" your loads, and it might not be the best choice when working with *max* loads.... but if you're dealing with middle of the road loads, you're gonna be fine.

They're only $26 per 1000 too, that's cheaper than the last time I bought any Federals. Buy 20,000, and be good for awhile.

Plus, I'd rather have a quality primer like Federal over a **** primer like Tula.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  13. emb111

emb111

Sep 5, 2012
    I learned my lesson the last time around. It won't happen again. I will always stay stocked up.

14. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yup! And I have seen photos of a breech pretty badly eroded from using the wrong primer.

I am not going down this road until I have to.

I have over 40,000 primers on hand plus somewhere around 50# of powder and 20,000 bullets. I need some more bullets! I've got a couple of thousand in transit but I could use another 10k of .45 200 gr LSWC. And maybe another 2k of Sierra .308 175 gr BTHP. Right after Christmas I'll get busy stocking up on these items.

What I have may need to last the rest of my life. I certainly won't be able to order over the Internet much longer and my one and only LGS wants over $40/k for primers right now; before they are the only game around. This is not going to be pretty.

Richard

15. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I learned my lesson time I keep several years worth in stock.

I also have used several K of magnum primers with no problems.

16. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Yeah, I am ordering backup stock for my backup stock. Who knows what this moron & his minions are going to do 2nd term. I see a flurry of quiet exec orders coming along.
    Regardless, components are not getting cheaper going forward. The devaluation of the US $$ is making everything form milk to gass to ammo more expensive. Think of it as an investment to buy now. I recently finished off some primers bought in 91-92, $9.95 retail.

17. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    What is the verdict on S&B SPP's? With the name brands most of us favor being out of stock are there any relatively unknowns that are a good score IF found?

18. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I complain about the Tula primers and how they sometimes (2 or 3 out of 500) drag in the primer disk on my 650 but they have always gone bang and, really, that's about all I expect when I am loading bulk .223 for my AR-15.

I am going to be working up a .40 S&W load for a pair of Sig P229s so I guess I will just start out using the Tula primers. The bullets are going into cardboard, so how good do the loads have to be?

If you can't get anything else and you want to stay with non-magnum primers, why not get 1000 Tula primers with your next bulk order and try them out.

Or, you can just order 5000 each of SP and LP. No testing, no evaluation, just order the things! I did...

Richard

19. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I have had good luck w/ S&B SR & LP, I would give the SP a try.:wavey:

20. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    Thanks Fred. How about Fiocchi SPP? Same price as S&B in bulk.