Glock Talk banner

Time For A New Tumbler....

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Bello 
#1 ·
The motor in my Midway tumbler just melted. I have no idea how long it lasted because I purchased it used - I probably ran about 10,000 pieces through it. (note to self: use in-line breaker/fuse on new tumbler).

It looks like I'll be getting a new tumbler and I've had good luck with Dillion equipment. Does anybody know if the 750 uses the same motor/mechanism as the 2001?

As good my luck has been with Dillion - they seem kinda' pricy.

Any experience with Dillion or other tumblers?

Any favorites out there?

#2 ·
I have the RCBS which it a really good unit in my opinon, very happy with it. I like the inline switch, runs strong and relatively quiet.
I've been looking at a second tumbler cause the RCBS capacity is just a little too small for my liking. I like to get all my brass cleaning out of the way for the course of the month do it all one time.
Just picked up a used but very clean Dillon 750 from a buddy who upgraded to the big daddy model 2001 for $50. I'm told it uses the same motor as the 2001 but not sure what you mean but mechanism.

#5 ·
I have the large dillion one and it is over 10 years old. Some times I leave it run for days on in when I am polishing rocks for my dad.

#6 ·
I had a lyman, it lasted just over the warranty period before dying. I also had a Franford Arsenal (same as the MidwayUSA tumbler), it also died. I replaced them both with the smaller Dillon unit, and so far so good (I've only had it two years). It seems to be a little quieter than the Lyman and cleans faster as well.

#7 ·
My next Tumbler is going to be a Thumler Model B... They are a little on the pricey side, but I've read many reports of folks having them 25yrs. I think Jack might be one of those folks.. IIRC.

IGF

#8 ·
I've had the little midway tumbler for several years and its still going strong. I had a chance to borrow a friends Lyman Turbo Tumbler which was much bigger. There was quite a big difference in tumbling action between the Lyman and the Midway. Where the Midway "vibrated" the Lyman "rolled". The tumbling action in the Lyman was much more vigorous. The Lyman was the same size as the RCBS and I think the Dillon.

#10 · (Edited)
I have been meaning for a while to try stainless steel media in my Thumlers. Here's a website if anyone is interested. It looks like the best cleaning possible. The only hard part is separating the media.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/
Now that is interesting. For a one time investment, it would be worth it(obviously, you need a tumbler that can handle liquid)...

You could probably come up w/ something to separate the water from the media.... would just require some thought...

#11 ·
You can tell you guys never get past the front cover of your Blue Press.

Both Dillons use the same motor. It's the bowl that is different.

They are price. My friend has two of the large ones. He must load about 100,000 rounds a year between him and the stuff he does for his friends. He hasn't replaced on yet.

He also has a Lyman which works well as well.

#12 ·
I have been meaning for a while to try stainless steel media in my Thumlers. Here's a website if anyone is interested. It looks like the best cleaning possible. The only hard part is separating the media.

They had me until I saw water. I'd rather ultrasonic brass if I have do deal with liquids. That brass looked good though.

#13 · (Edited)
You can tell you guys never get past the front cover of your Blue Press.
There's more than the cover?

(I didn't have a Blue Press at home - and the Dillion website didn't provide as much detail about the motor as the Blue Press. I thought I remembered reading it somewhere - apparently it was in a Blue Press where the cover was not so impressive.)

Thanks for the replies :wavey:

#14 ·
My next Tumbler is going to be a Thumler Model B... They are a little on the pricey side, but I've read many reports of folks having them 25yrs. I think Jack might be one of those folks.. IIRC.

IGF

I have two Thumblers, the smaller one with the black rubber tub and snap in plastic lid is well over 40 years old. I have no idea how many cases have been through it... more than a box or two. The other Thumblers is the large red metal tub with a rubber liner and lid held on with wing nuts. Both have thick rubber liners and can utilize liquid media if desired... I never do. The second one is at least 2o-22 years old and was the one I used the most since it has almost double the capacity than the original one. Both are very, very quite... you can sit in the same room and load while they're running with no problem.

Last year I got the big Lyman vibrating tumbler free from Sportsman's Warehouse when I bought my first LNL... the one where you pull the rubber plug and it's supposed to empty itself. That feature is useless, you'll grow old and die waiting for all the media to vibrate out of that hole. Much easier and quicker to just pick the thing up and dump everything into your separator.

The noise of the Lyman, (the difference between vibrating brass and having it tumble in a rubber lined tub) is easily 3 or 4 times that of the Thumblers and unless you're already deaf as a post you'll probably opt out of loading in the same room while the Lyman is operating.

Just do your tumbling while there's a good movie on HBO. All three of the tumblers do what they're supposed to do... they just do them in a different way. If you have a problem with the motors the Thumblers are much easier to service however, they sit out in the open on the side of the base. They run much cooler too.

Jack

#15 ·

IGF
At about $160 the price is squarely between the smaller and larger Dillion "tumblers".

I may give this a go, as there is the option to use dry or wet media, they seem to run cooler, the motor is readily replaceable, reviews indicate that they are quieter than vibratory types, cheaper than the RCBS rotary, seem to last a long time, can be used for other polishing purposes and made in USA.

Thanks again.

#16 ·
At about $160 the price is squarely between the smaller and larger Dillion "tumblers".

I may give this a go, as there is the option to use dry or wet media, they seem to run cooler, the motor is readily replaceable, reviews indicate that they are quieter than vibratory types, cheaper than the RCBS rotary, seem to last a long time, can be used for other polishing purposes and made in USA.

Thanks again.
Yeah, when my FA takes a dump, I'm going to get a Model B. I've always been frugal and just can't bring myself to replace something that is working(Part of the issue I have w/ replacing my LCT w/ an LNL)...

Just remember, there are two Model B's... A "Low Speed" (1/50 HP @ 1500rpm) and a "High Speed" (1/30 HP @ 3000rpm)... I imagine the Low Speed would probably serve the purposes of a reloader just fine.

I would ask Jack how many HP's his is, but I imagine it says "as fast as you can pedal" ;)

IGF

#17 · (Edited)
Yeah, when my FA takes a dump, I'm going to get a Model B. I've always been frugal and just can't bring myself to replace something that is working(Part of the issue I have w/ replacing my LCT w/ an LNL)...

Just remember, there are two Model B's... A "Low Speed" (1/50 HP @ 1500rpm) and a "High Speed" (1/30 HP @ 3000rpm)... I imagine the Low Speed would probably serve the purposes of a reloader just fine.

I would ask Jack how many HP's his is, but I imagine it says "as fast as you can pedal" ;)

IGF
Actually the folks at Thumbler recommended the higher speed tumbler for cartridge brass polishing - they recommended the lower speed for rocks (the higher speed tends to chip the rocks). A replacement motor (to convert to HS <-> LS) is ~$50.

I wouldn't be looking to spend anything (on a tumbler) either, except the blue sparks under the Midway tumbler have me concerned.

#18 ·
Actually the folks at Thumbler recommended the higher speed tumbler for cartridge brass polishing - they recommended the lower speed for rocks (the higher speed tends to chip the rocks). A replacement motor (to convert to HS <-> LS) is ~$50.
That's good to know...

#20 ·
Actually the folks at Thumbler recommended the higher speed tumbler for cartridge brass polishing - they recommended the lower speed for rocks (the higher speed tends to chip the rocks).
My dillion has spent more time polishing rocks than brass. It works fine either way.

#21 ·

From thier tips section.
Q. Do I have to use Lemi Shine?
A. Not necessarily. Lemi Shine is the key to get your brass shiny. If you don’t care too much about the shine, then no. It can also help soften the water, which allows the soap to work a little better.
If you want to try Lemi Shine it is available at target and walmart. Seems to me Freakshow said something about using citric acid to shine brass. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

#22 ·
There are several guys over at Snipershide using the SS media and they use a regular dillon rotary media separator which separates most of it. There is some washing and screening involved. I haven't gone this route yet because I'm afraid I could not get all the media separated all the time. I don't know what would happen if a piece of SS got left in a cartridge, reloaded and then fired but I don't think it would be good. In that respect its a lot different than corn cob or walnut.

I tried ultra sonic and its a big PITA. Rifle cases have to all be arranged upright, special solutions prepared, zapped, rinsed, neutralized and dried. Tumbling is much simpler and 95% as effective.

#23 ·
Never used it buy I hear Thumlers take longer to get the brass clean.
From some of the reports in other forums - the opposite is true. Of course I don't know - I haven't tried a rotary (yet). I think the "millage will vary" by the type of media, the brass:media ratio, manufacturer/model of the vibratory tumbler and speed of the rotary tumbler.

My dillion has spent more time polishing rocks than brass. It works fine either way.
There is a difference - The Dillion is vibratory and the Thumbler B is a rotary drum.

I thought rock polishing usually involved a wet/slurry media?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.