close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Time for a Chainsaw need Rx

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by DoctaGlockta, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MofoG23

MofoG23
    Expand Collapse

if you plan to use a 24-30" bar, a Stihl 361 would be the smallest saw I'd recommend. A 460 would be better suited for that application.

Any saw in the 60-70cc range should be your baseline for a bar of that size.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Black Smoke Trail

Black Smoke Trail
    Expand Collapse

24 -30 inch bars is getting into the big hp range of saws if you are truly going to use all of that bar length. You will also need a LOT more hp to drive the chisel head tooth chain used on a bar of this size.

Based on the use I have put my O-66 to, I would not go with anything less than the Stihl MS 441 or its variants the MS 460 would be more to my liking. Unless you have a very specific application or are cutting some REALLY big trees, I would not go much longer than a 24 inch bar unless you like sharpening saw chains alot as it is MUCH more difficult to keep enough cutting pressure on the bar to prevent burning the edge on the cutter heads and sticking the chain into the ground.

You can always keep a 30 inch bar and chain on the shelf for those times you really need it but for most use, the 24 inch bar is plenty. I have cut 3 to 4 ft. diameter black walnut and oak trees with a 24 inch bar without much problem, even larger diameters on trees that were hollowed out.

For that size bar, I would recommend the MS 460 or MS 660.