close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

"ThugFindr?"

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by w01, Dec 26, 2011.

1. w01

w01

Nov 22, 2005
    ThugFindr story

Interesting name - Also, notice the banner on the screen of the video - "ThugFindr can spot a person up to 800 miles away"

Wow!

2. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    Thermal Imaging has been around in the Fire Department for years now. It has some great advantages, but also some great limitations. More than once, I have realized I was completely lost within a building because I was focusing on the IR, it attracts and keeps your focus and can easily absorb quite a bit of your attention.

In law enforcement, I can see it being very valuable for a quick peek down a long hallway or into a dark corner, but to move into a building focusing solely on the IR can and will get officers hurt.

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I have used a FLIR on a few occasions to find suspects who fled into a wooded area and laid down. I agree it can be dangerous to focus on the FLIR and not your surroundings.

One person runs the dog, one with a FLIR and two cover officers is ideal, especially in a high risk fleeing case.

One time the dog kept running circles in a particular area, but we never located the suspect. I waited on the FLIR for an hour while we maintained the permiter. The FLIR showed his heat signature, and I found him dug in, buried himself under three feet of dirt, leaves, and sticks with an air hole for him breathe out of.