Glock Talk banner

Through My Own Ignorance, I Created The Worlds Safe-est Action Glock

18K views 127 replies 61 participants last post by  NAS T MAG 
#1 · (Edited)
Many of you scoff at the few of us that use trigger block safeties on our Glocks. I was banned from a Glock forum for even mentioning people should try one in their Glocks.

A couple of days ago, I retired my 20 year old Glock 20, and purchased a Gen 3 Glock 20SF. The Safe-T-Blok from the old trigger does not work on post 98 production Glocks, so I ordered a new one.

Came today, and guess what? Left Hand. EEEEEKKKK! That is not exactly what I said, but this is a family friendly forum, so call that close enough.

As I was ordering another one, right hand this time, I discovered, nothing could be safer, than making it impossible for the right index finger alone, to shoot the firearm. Completely and Utterly Impossible!

Left hand on chest, right hand on Glock, pull gun, rotate gun, moving gun forward, left hand merges with right hand, left hand pops out trigger block during extension of arms (limbs), right finger engages trigger, BANG.

I will start training this way, and keep this thread posted as to my progress, and failures.

I will need to further modify my Serpa II holsters to now accept a left hand trigger block safety, takes just a minute to remove a little plastic from the holster, not changing the design function.

Literarily License: I give full license for all Trigger Block Safety detractors to engage me fully in this thread. Please no "Your Momma Wears Army Boots, or inbreeding comments (all true, but uncalled for in forum banter), but a full decision of everything Safe Action Trigger is welcome!

See less See more
#4 ·
And what if your left arm is engaged or injured and cannot be used. If required to use just your right hand to draw and fire, you'd really be S. O. L.
Great post!

If I loose my left hand, (AND MY RIGHT THUMB) I am in trouble. Simple change of presentation to remove trigger block safety with right thumb or reach around with middle finger. These two alternatives would be slower, but still not unreasonable for someone wanting to train for this.

#6 ·
Interesting. Do you have a patent on this device?

Edit, forget the question about the patent. I just read that you give full license.
Not affiliated with Firearms-safety.com in the slightest, but I do love their product. Original ones were aluminum, todays offering matches perfectly the polymer frame of the Glock.

#7 ·
If you keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot why on earth do you feel the need to do this? Do you not trust yourself? Fear? I am trying to understand the logic behind this.
How many farmers loose their heads in auger accidents each year? That number would be zero, if farmers would keep their head out of augers.

How many people die crossing streets each day? That number would be zero, if people quit crossing streets.

How many people die in posh restaurants each hear, from chocking on food? That number would be zero if we quit eating out, or liquidity our food, and suck it in through straws?

How many people, suffer a condition commonly referred to as Glock Leg each year? If that number was just one, and it is very much higher than that, with all firearms, not just Glocks, and often times, by highly trained professionals, re-holstering their guns, that number is too high.

My number one goal for carrying a firearm, is personal safety, for myself, my family, and my community. IMPO, a Glock, in condition one, is an ideal personal defense choice, if one has a trigger block safety, and then used in conjunction with a double or triple retention holster. My holster choice is Serpa II.

There are two primary groups of people in the gun world. Folks that have had Negligent Discharges of their firearms, and those that have not YET experienced a Negligent Discharge.

There is another very small group of gun enthusiasts, folks that will go an extra mile, to do everything possible to ensure a negligent discharge could likely never happen. Folks in a supper line, eating fresh killed wild bore , telling everyone, this is my safety, as they roll their trigger finger in the air, do not fit this small group of safety minded people.

Nuclear Power Plants do not have one safety system, to protect the public, they have overlapping, independent and redundant safety systems to ensure public safety.

As for myself, just depending on training to keep my trigger finger off the trigger, is not only not enough, it would be unthinkable.

#8 ·
I don't know which is more laughable- saf-t-blok or the siderlock. It's kind of like driving drunk- if it wasn't obvious to the individual it was a bad idea in the first place, no amount of explaining is likely to lead them to illumination . That said, I applaud your ingenuity. But yikes- keep crap out of the trigger guard.

#9 · (Edited)
How many farmers loose their heads in auger accidents each year? That number would be zero, if farmers would keep their head out of augers.

How many people die crossing streets each day? That number would be zero, if people quit crossing streets.

How many people die in posh restaurants each hear, from chocking on food? That number would be zero if we quit eating out, or liquidity our food, and suck it in through straws?

How many people, suffer a condition commonly referred to as Glock Leg each year? If that number was just one, and it is very much higher than that, with all firearms, not just Glocks, and often times, by highly trained professionals, re-holstering their guns, that number is too high.

My number one goal for carrying a firearm, is personal safety, for myself, my family, and my community. IMPO, a Glock, in condition one, is an ideal personal defense choice, if one has a trigger block safety, and then used in conjunction with a double or triple retention holster. My holster choice is Serpa II.

There are two primary groups of people in the gun world. Folks that have had Negligent Discharges of their firearms, and those that have not YET experienced a Negligent Discharge.

There is another very small group of gun enthusiasts, folks that will go an extra mile, to do everything possible to ensure a negligent discharge could likely never happen. Folks in a supper line, eating fresh killed wild bore , telling everyone, this is my safety, as they roll their trigger finger in the air, do not fit this small group of safety minded people.

Nuclear Power Plants do not have one safety system, to protect the public, they have overlapping, independent and redundant safety systems to ensure public safety.

As for myself, just depending on training to keep my trigger finger off the trigger, is not only not enough, it would be unthinkable.

So you are saying you do not trust yourself? I have been staring at my glock all morning, it hasn't gone off yet. It won't unless I walk over and place my finger on the trigger and apply pressure.

I think for you it is just a confidence and training issue. Shoot more, train more, and build your confidence, then you will not have to rely on an injection molded 5 cent widget to give you and your family a false sense of security.

#11 · (Edited)
If you want to make your pistol so cumbersome to bring in to action that you need two hands, or difficult and time-consuming manipulations with one hand, that is your choice. But you should understand that not everyone who disagrees with your choice is foolish.

I have a half century of firearms behind me without a negligent discharge. How much longer do you think I have to wait? That statement is pretty demeaning and dismissive to those who take safe handling seriously.

And you think those are the only two kinds of gun owners there are in the world - those who agree with you and some sort of slack-jaw that you describe? Similarly demeaning.

If you don't trust your training, more training and/or practice may be in order.

There are also any number of well-made pistols with thumb safeties, the vast majority of which are easier and faster to operate than the system you advocate, since the safeties are integrally designed into the pistols.

#12 · (Edited)
I think he is saying that the human brain is not perfect. No one is safe from making a fatal mistake. The best training in the world and discipline can't prevent you from making mistakes. The human brain is full of flaws, but full of great potential as well. I do believe that this safety device can prevent accidents.

Thanks, I guess my small non saftey mind couldn't grasp why one would do this to a perfectly safe firearm :supergrin:

I'll go back to expecting my eventual negligent discharge seeing as I own a firearm. :upeyes:

#13 ·
ShallNot

Thought provoking.
I'm not going to run down someone who is trying to be safer.
Heck if the system doesn't agree with me or I don't care for it, I don't have to use it.

Glock thinks their pistol trigger system is safe, Massad Ayoob, thinks the Glock trigger system is safe. I'll use it as is, uh well I did have a NY1 trigger put in mine.:embarassed:

This is going to be an interesting thread to watch!:cool:

#14 ·
I think the vast majority of people here, will never encounter a Negligent Discharge.

Some here, not many, but some, may.

I hope, and plan, that I never will.

#15 ·
I will NEVER criticize someone for a well-thought out approach to how they carry their personal firearm. Every condition of carry of a particular firearm has a set of advantages and disadvantages, and it usually isn't a case of black/white, otherwise we would nearly all have settled on one gun and mode of carry.

#16 ·
I love how many attack this product.
I've never used or even seen one in person but I have no problem with someone else using one.
Not every person who buys a firearm has been in a firefight (myself included) and many of us really have no idea how we would really act if we were involved in one.
If that gives the OP an added feeling of security and he has drilled using it then more power to him!

#18 · (Edited)
I will NEVER criticize someone for a well-thought out approach to how they carry their personal firearm. Every condition of carry of a particular firearm has a set of advantages and disadvantages, and it usually isn't a case of black/white, otherwise we would nearly all have settled on one gun and mode of carry.
I love how many attack this product.
I've never used or even seen one in person but I have no problem with someone else using one.
Not every person who buys a firearm has been in a firefight (myself included) and many of us really have no idea how we would really act if we were involved in one.
If that gives the OP an added feeling of security and he has drilled using it then more power to him!
Great posts and I agree. His gun and no one understands him better than he does. Looking forward to updates. :wavey:

#19 · (Edited)
The idea of using a left handed trigger block safety for right handed shooters is an intriguing one from an officer safety standpoint. Should an officer lose his handgun to a bad guy it would certainly buy the officer some time to sort things out.

Many years ago a buddy of mine was working a sting operation (phoney "pawn shop" buying swag from local burglars and robbers). Long story short, two bad guys (who he had done "business with" in the past) came in to stick the place up. One grabbed my buddies Browning Hi-Power, which was in condition one (cocked and locked). The bad guy had already shot my buddy once in the chest with a .32 (slug just stopped short of his heart) and tried to finish the job with the Browning. Never could figure out how to get the gun to go off.

He didn't do so well when the back-up team came through the door with their 12 gauge shotgun and put an end to the nonsense. And, no, the bad guy didn't have to worry about going to jail, as he took a dirt nap.

#20 ·
I don't know which is more laughable- saf-t-blok or the siderlock. It's kind of like driving drunk- if it wasn't obvious to the individual it was a bad idea in the first place, no amount of explaining is likely to lead them to illumination . That said, I applaud your ingenuity. But yikes- keep crap out of the trigger guard.
That and using a Serpa. So much fail...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#22 ·
The idea of using a left handed trigger block safety for right handed shooters is an intriguing one from an officer safety standpoint. Should an officer lose his handgun to a bad guy it would certainly buy the officer some time to sort things out.

Many years ago a buddy of mine was working a sting operation (phoney "pawn shop" buying swag from local burglars and robbers). Long story short, two bad guys (who he had done "business with" in the past) came in to stick the place up. One grabbed my buddies Browning Hi-Power, which was in condition one (cocked and locked). The bad guy had already shot my buddy once in the chest with a .32 (slug just stopped short of his heart) and tried to finish the job with the Browning. Never could figure out how to get the gun to go off.

He didn't do so well when the back-up team came through the door with their 12 gauge shotgun and put an end to the nonsense. And, no, the bad guy didn't have to worry about going to jail, as he took a dirt nap.

Hope your buddy recovered fully.

#24 · (Edited)
I was an RSO today with 15 concealed carry students. Range was about 100 rounds each student. Test is 30 rounds in a FBI Q target, 70% in to pass. 3', 6', 9' 12'. Never seen anyone fail it.

Two students had Glocks. 19 & 22 models. Both were new to Glocks, one was a new shooter.

Both were using Serpa II holsters.

It is interesting training people to use a safe action pistol with no external safeties, when I would never train or use my Glock in that way.

My personal commitment to safety, ammo never enters my Glock, unless the Trigger Block Safety is installed.

When I did my Concealed Carry Class, I qualified for my permit, using the trigger block safety. It was an extra step, but my personal fear of Glock Leg, is great. I made sure my students today were ever mindful of holstering their gun, and where their trigger finger was in relation to their gun. I do this with every student, but I am a little more cautious with Glocks.

This was not my class, I was one of five RSO's on the line.

However, when I start teaching the class as the Instructor, and being the CRSO on the range, in about 6 months, all Glocks in my class, in the hands of green Glock students, will be issued a Trigger Block Safety, and trained how to use it, and will use it on the range. LEOs and Glock trained people coming in to re-qualify for a CHP, I will allow to qualify on the range as they would normally use their firearm, but will be offered to try the trigger block safety.

Is this necessary? Is this too safe? Just exactly what is too safe?

#25 · (Edited)
Incorrect. No fail involved with SERPA. While there are far better options, serpas work great in the hands of a competent shooter. Not comparable with a duty holster, but not comical like a safe-t-block or siderlock. That said, safariland 6377 is a better choice.
Far better? Far better? Why are they far better?

Comical? If I post news articles where people, well trained people, negligent discharge one in their leg, would that be comical reading for you?

I know of a police dispatch office, with a hole above the 911 switchboard, put there by a 35 year veteran of a major police force. Third largest city in the state. Is that comical?

There is nothing funny, ever, about safety.

Here is a movie clip about gun safety. Great movie, but in real life, would this be prudent?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk"]Clip - Black Hawk Down - This is my safety - YouTube[/ame]

#26 ·
My only problem is this:
"However, when I start teaching the class as the Instructor, and being the CRSO on the range, in about 6 months, all Glocks in my class, in the hands of green Glock students, will be issued a Trigger Block Safety, and trained how to use it, and will use it on the range."
Are you saying, you are going to MAKE them use it or suggest using it? If you are going to make them use it, I disagree with that as you are teaching how to shoot with an item that did not come with their weapon. It should be up to the individual. Just my two cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.