close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Three more powders added to muzzleflash pics

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jeffreybehr, Aug 31, 2011.

1. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr Silver Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Just finished shooting, developing, and posting pics of the muzzleflash produced by Hodgdon HS-6 and Vihtuori 3N37. HS-6 is low quite low in MF and highly suitable for PD loads, while 3N37 is high in MF and as a result not suitable on that basis for PD loads. There are now 6 powders and 3 factory loads in this years' gallery, all shot with my 357SIG model 31.

http://jeffreybehr.zenfolio.com/p626353596

2. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    The N105 loads look to be the best of the bunch. Thanks for the pics! Nice Canon rig, by the way.

Dang...just noticed that the N105 load was highly compressed and not recommended. I've got Speer Gold Dot LE and Hornady CD for the .357 SIG, so they should not light up the sky too badly if called upon.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

3. Forgive my inexperience please, would muzzle flash mean that the powder has not completely burnt before the projectile leaves the barrel?
    If that is the case, is it possible to vary the powder grains to reduce muzzle flash as an indicator of maximum efficiency behind the projectile?
    Less wasted powder?

4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Yes & no. Reducing the charge doesn't affect flash much. Slower powders need a Certain pressure vel to burn more completely.

5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    I like HS-6 for 9mm, gives me a accurate/clean load. This is another reason to like it.