Thread to follow progress of manhunt in Southern California...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by RussP, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

You know that's not likely to happen. If he can survive the elements, he'll have the advantage.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #41 volsbear, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

I would definitely not be getting out of my patrol car without a long gun.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

3. Stay Safe out there
  4. The fact is this guy has been pushed to the edge. He lost his LEO job. He lost his Navy reserve job. He also feels he was falsely accused of lying. So the three things that were apparently important or indispensable to him are gone. He has nothing else to live for.
  5. SAR

Quick update: I'm ok. It's a little hectic. Our Division is fully involved. Since the suspect is still outstanding, I am not at liberty to discuss our involvement. Suffice to say, I'm getting very little sleep. Hope to have more later.
  6. Thank you for the work you do. My prayers are with all the officers in Southern California. I went to college with 4-5 outstanding guys who are now LAPD and 1-2 who are now LASD.
  7. Or volunteer to be assigned as extra help for those directly threatened. Departments can survive shagging calls for service, being a couple of people down.

This guy is a greater threat to the general public. If he is hunting LEO's what is to stop him from killing a citizen who he thinks has spotted him?
  8. Prayers for those affected. :fallenofficer:

Stay safe out there for all the LE in the area. Watch your back.
  9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

LAPD foot patrol requires the wearing of the Class A hat, but no appointment.:whistling:

Okay, just trying to bring a bit of levity.:embarassed:

This guy supposedly owns multiple AR type weapons, silencers, and a Barrett BMG, plus whatever else he has gotten along the way, plus he's got nothing to lose. How do you even guard against something like that... man... the only thing that would work now is I am hoping all the luck in the world and God almighty himself protects all those out there.
  10. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

I don't know that there's an easy way to guard against the threat, short of holing up in a bunker or going out of town to visit family in the next state.

But, and I'm sure this is being done since LAPD isn't exactly known for standing idly by, we need to put this idiot on the defensive. Send teams of officers out to actively hunt for him. Start putting pressure on him by any means, and I'm sure the press releases are only one tool being used. Plaster his face up on every TV screen and internet news site out there. Put his name out on the radio, and start offering a decent reward for someone who turns him in.

In short, make it hard for him to hide, or to get support from others. As I said, I'm sure LAPD has already implemented this strategy - and we don't need to know what they're doing. But, the best way to defend against a guy like this, is to put him on the defensive. Actively hunt this SOB down, and put him in the ground as you would a rabid dog.

Good luck, and may God be watching over our brethren and their families - especially now.
  11. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

Given the situation, the policy should immediately be revised to substitute the Class A hat for a level IIIA or better helmet.

Stay safe, guys.
  12. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

Is he running? Or is he drawing the enemy in?
  13. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Watch your ass, man, and good hunting.
  14. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Why do police think he may be in Arizona?

Something specific or just to kill leos at random?
  15. They aren't going to tell the public.
  16. RussP

No way in hell they should say anything.

Sorry John Q. Public, but just stay hunkered down and wait.
  17. I don't think anyone has been killed/shot at random. He published a list* of folks that he wants to go after, and it sounds like there have been a few moments of "opportunity" when he thought a few cops were close to him.

Regardless of how irrational his actions are, so far he seems to be behaving rationally within his own set of rules. Not randomly, I think, or there would be a lot more news of people hurt or killed.

Not that I have any insight, I'm just a keyboard commando. I'm not in that area, and I'm not LEO, so my opinions weigh very little.

For those who ARE involved, I'm not sure how you keep your head down AND on a swivel, but do your best to do both.
  18. Gallium

I think those forced that caused his displacement from center to the "edge" where wholly internal. CLEARLY, he is grossly unbalanced. He has interpreted actions and statements that are made tens of thousands of times over daily to other people who don't decide the world is oblong and want to fix it.

Unfortunately, life is not like TV. We can't follow the script from "NCIS L.A." or CSI to catch this guy. Chances are, if he's not already seriously wounded or dead, he is going to cause some collateral damage and hurt before he is put down.

Guys, be alert.
  19. Gallium

...hopefully he does not have access to secure police comms...
  20. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA

I am not a fan of drones for "normal patrols", but this is not normal.