close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Thread to follow progress of manhunt in Southern California...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by RussP, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    He's using violence and inducing fear to push his racism agenda. He's already got blood on his hands, and he's going to take out whoever he can. Just because it won't be officially declared terrorism doesn't mean it doesn't fit. It's one person changing the behavior of people in multiple states, and it's the fear that's sparking that change.

You don't have to use a bomb or rack up a body count in the hundreds to be a terrorist.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. I disagree with this part. He's using race as an excuse to push a personal agenda. He's not pushing a racist agenda.

He's a spoiled rotten brat, frankly, and he's throwing a temper-tantrum because he didn't get his way. The only difference between him and a 4 year old in the candy aisle is a 4 year old can only stomp their feet and make some noise.

This guy is exceptionally dangerous, and I'm not implying he should be underestimated in any way. But as far as his motivation, it's no different than the 4 year old that didn't get the candy he wanted.

3. [​IMG]

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. robrides85

robrides85

Jan 4, 2010
    I'd read the below link recently; didn't know about the Brady List until you posted about it. Good to know, and happy to have that check/balance in place on police.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/opinion/sunday/why-police-officers-lie-under-oath.html?_r=0

5. metal

metal

Jul 26, 2004
    Not quite Detroit
    Damn, I was kinda hoping that was the case, oh well :upeyes:

6. I have to ask... this Big Bear location LE is searching, is it the same Big Bear lake area that Jeff Cooper developed his modern pistol techniques?

http://www.gunsite.com/main/about/

7. Marlowe

Marlowe

Dec 10, 2009
    Ventura County, CA
    Yes, same area.

8. Marlowe

Marlowe

Dec 10, 2009
    Ventura County, CA
    No. It's a collaborative effort, with brass from all involved agencies present in a joint command center in the metro LA area.

Everybody will have a different piece of this.

Lots of moving parts, varied locations, wide span of geographical areas, and not just in CA.

This isn't the fire service, with a bunch of agencies under a single unified command fighting a wildfire.

As for the Feds, their role is to support and facilitate the effort...to include at the national level...setting leads to federal agencies across the country and even internationally, if need be.

Boiled down, Dorner is a murder suspect in flight to avoid prosecution. The murders occurred in two different counties, with different police departments and District Attorneys.

So, let's say the FBI were to locate and arrest Dorner in Nevada...he would be initially arrested for Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution (UFAP), a federal charge. However, as soon as the local prosecutors are ready, the UFAP charge is typically dismissed and the local police eventually take him into custody and he is eventually charged with murder.

They will have to figure out where to prosecute him first: the double homicide in Orange County or the police murder in Riverside County? Both are Capitol crimes under CA law.

Complicated stuff. A lot of stakeholders and a lot of politics.

9. hd67xlch

hd67xlch

Jun 15, 2002
    florida
    I keep hearing on the news how this guy is mentally unstable, well thats obvious. But whats not obvious is how the LAPD and US Navy were not able to pick up on this during his time in both.

10. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
  11. The news. Ha, that's a good one.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    I hope he doesn't decide to do the car bomb thing. He sure has enough hate in him to.

13. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    There's a photo somewhere of "the guys" lined up. I'll try to find it.

14. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    I will assume that affirmative action had nothing to do with it. :whistling:

15. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Latent Mental Illness finally triggered by certain events.

16. CW Mock

CW Mock

Feb 4, 2006
    Guys like this can pass for "normal" for quite a while until one day they don't get their way, and they snap.

I'm guessing this guy started to come un-spun, and then he was let go. Only the people close to him might have had a faint idea he was truly unstable. No telling how he got through the hiring process with the LAPD - I am not familiar with their hiring practices and backgrounds. I do know my agency looks pretty close at applicants, and we get an occasional "leaker" too.

Nothing is perfect, and "real" psychos can lay low and look normal for a really long time before blowing up.

I have heard rumors that this guy choked another recruit in the Academy. That makes me wonder why he was retained, but then again I don't know the details there either. All I can gather is from this manifesto, he's got some hurt feelings and figures cold blooded murder of random people will make it better.

Kind of like a demented four year old having a tantrum with access to an automatic rifle. Pretty spooky.

17. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Murder charge filed...

Dist. Atty. Paul Zellerbach said Dorner has been charged with one count of murder, with special circumstance allegations in the killing of a peace officer and the discharge of a firearm from a vehicle, in the death of Riverside police Officer Michael Crain, 34, a married father who served two tours in Kuwait as a rifleman in the U.S. Marines.

18. I know the photo you're referring to.

19. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    There were signs, assuming he is not lying in his rant.

He is violent in situations that don't call for violence:

(1) In first grade he kicked and punched another for calling him the N-word. And he continued the same violence through high school. Yeah, a physical reaction would be very understandable, but this shows a pattern.

(2) While in the academy, in a large van, 2 other officers (cadets?) were talking about (N-word)s. Dorner told them to stop, and they responded they would do it whenever they liked. (They apparently were not referring to Dorner.)

According to Dorner, he went over the front seat, and other officers, to grab the offending idiot by the throat, leading to what sounds like a mêlée in the van.
    (He says he should have just shot him in the head.)

This second thing, if true, shows a worsening pattern of violence and the lack of self control, and maybe even the thoughts of committing murder.

Inappropriate behavior in that setting - there are others ways of dealing with it. Especially when still in the Academy.

At this point, assuming all is true, I would have dismissed Dorner from the Academy, and black-balled him from law enforcement. He did not have sufficient self-control to handle life as a street cop. (And taken serious action against the other two, up to dismissal, depending on what actually was being said.)

His actions now bear that opinion out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.