Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

"Thousands of doctors fired by United HealthCare"

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by LASTRESORT20, Oct 11, 2013.

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010
    "In the midst of major changes in health care, UnitedHealthCare has sent thousands of pink slips to Connecticut doctors.

Termination letters went to physicians caring for Medicare patients. Those letters were sent out to doctors caring for 'Medicare Advantage' patients. It's a plan, marketed to Seniors to provide additional services through UnitedHealthCare.

A mix of primary care and specialty doctors are affected by it. And it comes at a questionable time."
  2. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    Not to worry. I'm sure Doctor Obama makes house calls.
    I can see him now with his lovely nurse Michelle.

3. snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    My doctor said he's contemplating retiring next year, just too much crap coming down from ACA. My wife's endocrine doctor sent out recorded messages and letters announcing they're cutting patient load from 2400 to just 600. They can pay up front to join a kind of co op, so much quarterly or yearly. Get ready for an avalanche, it's coming as we speak.
  4. F350

Feb 3, 2005
    The Wyoming Plains
    One of the reasons I went ahead and scheduled a bilateral knee replacement (both knees done at the same time) now.
  5. Ricky Ricardo

Ricky Ricardo

Apr 4, 2013
    “Let me be exactly clear about what health care reform means to you. First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.”
    --President Barack Obama, July 16, 2009

“ matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise: If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what..."
    --President Barack Obama, June 15, 2009

[ame=""]President Obama says If you like your Doctor You can Keep Your Doctor - YouTube[/ame]
  6. Kablam

Jan 12, 2005
    Who needs doctors? We have progressive government and obamacare.
  7. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

When Obama said that Obamacare would ensure that the insured and uninsured got the same health care, I think we were all hoping that the uninsured would start getting healthcare like us, instead of us starting to get health care like them.

That's what happens when nobody asks any questions I guess.
  8. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    Nancy Pelosi said we had to pass the healthcare bill so we could find out what's in it. Well, now we know.

Why does she still have a job?:steamed:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    I never hoped that. It seemed obvious from day 1 that the outcome, within a decade or so, would be lowering everybody's healthcare to what the poor and uninsured get now. Sort of like how the USSR made everybody equally rich.:upeyes:
  10. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

I know. I was being facetious, I admit.

If there is one single thing the government has ever done, that didn't get more bloated and less efficient, ever year, until it just couldn't move under it's own weight, and wasting money like they are just printing it (never mind that point, they are printing it) I would like to see that program.
  11. Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    Insurance companies have been penalizing those Drs who cost them too much, and rewarding those who don't cost them as much. Whether it's in speed of payment, hassle in preauthorizations, request of records, etc...

I don't doubt that this is connected to ACA changes but I assure you that these kinds of tricks are not that uncommon.

I hope it continues and forces a free market system. As it stands, you think your Dr works for you...... well you are wrong. He/she has a contract with your insurance company and his/her livlihood is controlled by that company. They dictate which tests and procedures are 'necessary'. Your Dr. cares about you and would like to treat you in one way, insurances says that way costs too much.
  12. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    The plan is not to change this into a free market system. The plan is to make it a single payer third party system, instead of a multiple payer third party system.

Real Government run healthcare is coming. The ACA is just the first domino.
  13. While I want the obviously misnamed ACA scrapped as much as anybody here, United did not fire these doctors. To state that they did is to display a fundamental misunderstanding of our insurance system.

UHC did not employ the doctors, so they were not in a position to fire or layoff the doctors.

United effectively said that we will no longer consider you an in-network provider.

Strictly speaking, patients of those doctors that were on the Medicare Advantage plan can keep their plan, and they can keep their doctor. Keeping their doctor will obviosly cost them more since their plan did not keep their doctor.

As already mentioned, provider turnover is not uncommon for a healthcare plan. Poor billing and a number of issues from a provider's office cause significant additional overhead by the plan and can lead to a provider being dropped.
  14. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    So there independent contractors that were told your services are no longer needed.The same thing can be said about cab drivers,you can't fire them.You just refuse ta lease them a cab,same result.'08.
  15. akroguy

Dec 26, 2010
    Why is she still breathing? :steamed:
  16. itsnitro

itsnitro Got Sig?

Jun 22, 2006
    I like my healthcare plan (UHC)..kinda...I'm starting to like it even less as it's going up an additional 10.83% as of Jan 14. So in a matter of 6 months, my plan has gone up nearly 15%. Now, it may not seem like a lot, but it is when you're trying to be a productive citizen and raise a family, every dollar counts.

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010

[​IMG]Nancy is the Progressive (Liberal) Queen
    Just like berry is King....Ignorant Lemmings will continue to support and defend them....
  18. Not the same thing because medical providers are not solely contracted to a single healthcare plan.

These physicians are still self-employed, or employed by the same medical group they were employed by prior to receiving notice from UHC. They can still see self-pay patients, they can still see members of other healthcare plans with which they are contracted, and they can still see members of the UHC plan that are willing to pay a higher out of pocket cost.

Your analogy would be closer to appropriate if I were an independent cab driver that received dispatches from multiple cab companies. One of those companies that was paying me $1/mile (in network rate) said that they were no longer going to dispatch calls to me because I submit late, incomplete and error prone paperwork that they have to spend excessive time to manage. Oh, but I can still honor vouchers issued by that cab company, but I can only credit the passenger for 65 cents on the dollar (out of network rate) -- it costs the passenger more money if they still want to use me. I am not fired or laid off, the terms of a business agreement were changed. It happens every day.
  19. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

Haaa ... When she lost 'Speaker', she lost the jet .... :rofl:

Enjoy riding AA, Nancy !

20. akroguy

Dec 26, 2010
    Nah, she's riding A BROOM.

Scariest b*tch ever. Makes flying monkeys look downright friendly.