close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Thoughts on Winchester SXP Defender

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Reb 56, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    Anyone own one or shot one ? I am wondering if they're worth looking into or should stick with the 870 or a Mossberg.

2. gnasty1521

gnasty1521

Feb 15, 2010
    DFW, TX
    It is the new version of the older 1300 Defender. I own a 1300 field model and it's great! Nice tight forend, super smooth action, and a rotating locking bolt. My guess is you can't go wrong with any of those, but I own a 500 and a 1300, and the 1300 is much more impressive...

FWIW, there are still plenty of aftermarket parts for all 3.

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I really like the old Win1300's they were good shotguns.

But I also really like the 500's, and for the money they are hard to beat.

I spend quite a few nights alone on a remote hunting property in the winter. My 20" 7 shot Mossberg 500 is a great comfort sleeping next to me. I always have it within reach when at the hunting property.

I gave up on Remington due to their attitude toward customer service. After handling and shooting the Mossbergs I really appreciate them, and their dedication to not being having a seperate "grade" or "capacity" that is not available to everyone.

I am a full time LEO, and could not get a 7 shot Remington without jumping through hoops.

4. gnasty1521

gnasty1521

Feb 15, 2010
    DFW, TX
    My 1300 Winchester I got for $175 OTD. In great shape, and like I said doesn't have the loose forend, my least favorite feature of the Mossberg. However, I have not had even the slightest issue from the Maverick, other than trying to use the 2 inch minibuck, because it does not have a solid elevator.

Like I said, it will be great, but it all becomes personal preference...

5. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
  6. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    I would like to see winchester do something "tacticool" with the SX3. Or maybe they already have.

7. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
  8. gnasty1521

gnasty1521

Feb 15, 2010
    DFW, TX
    ^^^ Is that to say they don't exist?

At any rate, you can't go wrong. And technically, everyone who owns a Mossberg or a Remington, owns a similar gun. Not to start a this vs. that, but these are all relatively similar weapons. I say go for it!