close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Thoughts on this article about 1911's?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by GlockFanWA, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter 111

hunter 111

Jan 29, 2012
    TRAVEL -
    They call that.obsessive compulsive disorder

2. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    I enjoy shooting my 1911's quite a bit. If I had to rely on one I wouldn't feel handicapped. It just wouldn't be my first choice for going off to battle.

3. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY

:whistling:

4. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw

Apr 27, 2013
    Texas
    Yea, two World Wars, Korea and VietNam proved the 1911 was not a battle gun. :poke:

5. sheepdog

sheepdog Texan

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas
    faawrenchbndr said...
    Don't know if there are MORE but there have been SOME already...maybe some pics on his site...little ritzy for my M&P budget, but people did buy them.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Fixed it for ya,.........:supergrin:

7. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    I didn't say the 1911 hasn't proven itself in battle. I also didn't say it's not a great handgun. I just said it wouldn't be my first choice.

8. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

Apr 26, 2012
    Pacific NW
    Well said. I agree.

9. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw

Apr 27, 2013
    Texas

I read your replies, ya'll didn't see I was just poking fun:poke: at you, nothing serious.

:tongueout:

10. dixietoo

dixietoo

Sep 4, 2012
    Phenix City, AL
    The first few times I shot a 1911 I hated it. I had only owned revolvers. Then I lived where there was a range with all sorts of rentals. I eventually got a 1911 as my first auto loader.
    The pistol was designed to do what it does. To me that is CQB. On top of that it is always fun to pick and blast away at targets with. When the 1911 speaks people listen!
    Sadly my Thompson Auto Ordnance was stolen a few years ago and I never replaced it.
    I never was a soldier or LEO or anybody who had to wear one ever day. I think the reassuring weight it has on the one hand would become a pain on the working hip. I still want to get another one. But if I could only have one piece it would be a Glock 20.

11. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, I was shooting IPSC back in the early '80s too. I still like the 1911. The part I'm not so happy about is 'cocked and locked'. I just don't like having a cocked and locked 1911 laying on the nightstand.

I have a couple of Glocks (G36 and G21SF) and the G36 is on my nightstand. There's no good reason for this because it doesn't even have night sights (yet). It's just laying there...

So, since I don't really like plastic guns, I am slowly transitioning to Sigs. I'm getting to where I can shoot the P220 and P229 pretty well. The first DA shot doesn't bother me and the SA trigger is pretty nice. All of the Sigs have decent night sights and I don't have any problem with one laying around, decocked.

I will always have a few 1911s. When I really want to have fun shooting, I pick up a 1911.

Richard

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I'm curious but consider how little cops shoot, how many M1911 parts would have to be "serviced/repaired/replaced"?

And let's say that you're an armorer for some sort of high speed low drag operators outfit that shoot thousands of rounds per week, which parts on the M1911 would break or wear out when compared to; say, a Glock?

13. Interesting response, Cluster. Can you elaborate on that a bit?

14. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    Huge difference between an armorer, which is all a Glock requires, and a custom gunsmith such as Yam. He's made his living on the 1911 and is well known in the business.

15. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    He is already getting into customized polymer that is supposedly good to go out of the box. He is also getting into selling some parts for polymer that are of dubious value.

Yes, on the whole a 1911 makes a poor choice for department wide or unit wide issue if there is no commitment to keep them running.

The same goes for polymer, just the threshold is lower for them. Our high round count G22s have had issues. To the point I consider them to be disposable.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    He's not the only one who is well known in the M1911 biz.

Before him there were Clark, King, Swenson, Shockley, ad infinitum. These people knew as much about M1911 as anyone. I mean, it's not like the design hadn't been around since...1911.

17. Grappler112

Grappler112

Nov 19, 2007
    DC area
    the myth of the cops don't ever shoot, cops are like any other gun owners, some practice as often as possible and some only show up to department mandated requals, so there are certainly cops that put relatively high numbers of rounds through their guns. In addition to the shooting maintance issues for a cop's weapon can also come from the physical beating a gun will take strapped to the hip of someone in a physical fight on the ground the exposure to the weather and numerous other issues that come with wearing a gun exposed for hours at a time

I am a cop and I fire my duty handgun as often as I can, though not near as often as I would like (does anyone here get to do that, if so could you fund my ammo, lol) and my duty gun is a glock, I think the 1911 is a better platform for me, but the department probably correctly figured between the cost issue (remember a good 1911 is more expensive than a glock) and ease of maintanence that a glock (though M&P's ect. would also have been fine) was a better choice

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    You may shoot a lot but how many of you are there among the boys in blue?

Also what exactly on a 1911 would break due to daily wear? These guns were made to be dragged from one corner of the earth to another.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. Grappler112

Grappler112

Nov 19, 2007
    DC area
    I'm not saying that everyone practices constantly, but I think you would be surprised by how many cops are "gun guys" and even that several that aren't recognize it as a potentially (though hopefully never needed) important skill to have on the job.
    And to answer your second point, Murphy's Law exists, and not all cops are mechanically inclined just like not all people are, things happen, and anything mechanical can and will break, I'm not an armorer for my department, but they have some crazy stories. It really is much easier to look at it from the perspective of an individual and say well mine never broke than it is when you scale that up.

20. Grappler112

Grappler112

Nov 19, 2007
    DC area
    And trust me, I would much rather carry a 1911 than a glock personally, it just fits my hands better, I love the history of it, I prefer the trigger pull on it, I just understand why a larger organization would go with the simplest possible option. Plus the cost savings are probably substantial

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.