close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Thoughts on this article about 1911's?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by GlockFanWA, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    I saw that yesterday and think for me it probably is summed up best by this line from the article:

"It is one thing to keep after 1-2 of your own 1911s, and a whole other matter to be a professional surrounded by guns constantly seeking your attention."

It really isn't hard for me to imagine maint on a department full of Glocks or M&P's being less labor intensive and time consuming then say a department full of 1911's. I still do not think it is an outdated design anymore then I believe the .45acp is an outdated cartridge. I just don't think the 1911 is for everyone. The good news is, it doesn't have to be.

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    IMO, you spend enough time with any pistol design and you'll eventually tire of its idiosyncrasies. Something different will work better until you spend enough time with it to learn its failings. Maybe in 15years he'll sour on M&P's too, if they are still around....
    I worked on bicycles for years. It sucked working on other peoples stuff when mine seemed to work fine.....everything was just right with my machine because I had everyone else's crap to determine what didn't work. Still, after a while I got tired of derailleurs and shifting systems. There has to be something better, right?

3. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    I took my Mountain Bike back to OFG. Just like the good ole days!

4. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Ahh what does he know anyway :rofl:

I am keeping mine. But I don't fall into any of the catagories he listed in his article. I have yet to find a handgun I shoot better, that carries betters, that fits and feels as good in my hand or that gives me the confidence shooting the 1911 does. Plus is just good American classic awesomeness.

Yep keep mine steel and wood only please :)

5. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA

Sep 9, 2012
    Washington
    I would agree. Two different areas.

6. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

Apr 26, 2012
    Pacific NW
    Yam's essay reflects how I have come to feel too--especially where he says "training, shooting, and performance is your primary goal". I recently sold my last 1911. They are beautiful guns and one of the great firearm designs of all time, but platform doesn't do anything I need anymore.

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    That's sort of analogous to the article. He got sick of the intricate nature of 1911s and went for something more simple. Glocks and other plastic striker guns are essentially the 1FG's in pistols- and they work really well if you seek that.

8. I love my 1911s, and it's hard to change to something else.

9. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    I agree, but I haven't gone so far as to sell my 1911's. If I had to carry a full size handgun for work, it would be my FNX Tactical. It is every bit as accurate as my best 1911, and more reliable. It is also easier to clean, holds more rounds, is RMR ready, and has a superior safety system.
    Like the author suggested, the trigger on other handguns might be different, but with practice not a detriment.

10. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
  11. sheepdog

sheepdog Texan

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas
    It's probably like being the one guy in the whole family or office that understands computers or has a computer business-the phone never stops ringing or you can't even go to a social gathering without, "Hey, you know about computers, right?..can you look at mine right quick?" I would not want to be responsible for a bunch of them that other people carry and want to spend no more effort to understand and maintain than they do a Glock or M&P, but I'll still carry my own when I can. I'm one of the "but mine works" people he mentions. At least the ones I have now do, I have been pretty frustrated with ones that didn't. Learned some lessons.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    So,......is there a 10-8 M&P on the way to market?

13. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    After many years of firearm ownership I have chosen the 1911 as my pistol platform. The only opinion I value on the subject is my own.

14. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw

Apr 27, 2013
    Texas
    Maybe I'm too new to handguns, but did I miss out on it an "either, or" decision on guns. This concerns me because I like both steel and polymer, hammer and striker fired handguns, so there obviously something wrong with me.

If 1911s have a problem, it is not in design but in production. It's too much tinkering and/or not enough quality control. It doesn't even have to be a handgun to fall victim to that kind of problem.

Mr. Yam is overwhelmed by numbers and not percentages. Since he seems to have been someone who is or was a 1911 expert, then everyone with a broken 1911 wants him to solve their problem. But those asking him for help represent a very small percentage of 1911s sold and used. And he doesn't address if all those failed 1911s in his class were tinkered with before coming to class. It seems the best thing you can do to a 1911 is nothing (except maybe change the grips!).

One thing I have noticed is if some named person in the gun community feels a need to call attention to himself, all he has to do is trash the 1911. The latest trend I have noticed is also to trash Glocks, which are built using an old 1980's design, with their new generations making the gun worse. The new kid on the block may be the M&P and will then soon become the next new atrocity in gun design.

In a hundred years I would hope there would be technology improvements is design, materials and production. If a design worked 100 years ago, it should still work today and be just as good.

Too often I see people become so impressed by their own celebrity they believe anything they tell themselves. And so will his followers blindly go.

I will take Mr. Yam's article on his word and regard his conclusions and will consider myself a more informed handgun owner. Whether I agree or disagree completely or partly matters only to me anyway. After all, like a said already, there must be something wrong with me! :)

15. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    I only have 5 1911s, I do complete take down every 2,000 rounds or so, new springs etc. between the 5 and other guns, that 2,000 rounds per gun takes a long time.

16. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Mar 9, 2009
    Vermont
    If I were outfitting an entire platoon or squad of policemen or high speed/low drag operators.....Plastic would be my choice.

For my individual defensive needs, no fear about carrying a 1911 for defensive purposes.

17. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Yeah you have to pick side. Pick wisely.

[​IMG]

:whistling:

In all honesty it can be testy when the 1911 vs whatever comes up. It seems to me (but I am 1911 biased) that the 1911 "guys" are more pro "non 1911" handguns than the other way around. Some folks just seem to really not like the old gal.

18. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Word my brother word!!!

See I remember the 1990s and it's slang! :wavey:

19. hunter 111

hunter 111

Jan 29, 2012
    TRAVEL -
    Wrong
    find a good platform and you should never tire of it