close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Thoughts on the SR9 and SR40

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by win, Jan 14, 2012.

1. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    What are you thought on the Ruger SR9/40 pistols? and the compact models?
    They look like a alot of gun for the money, but I have not held one or shot one.

2. USDefender

USDefender Lay Them Waste!

Jul 8, 2005

They probably are 'a lot of gun for the money' and I wouldn't hesitate on buying one if I came across a good deal... Don't let the 'Ruger haters' put you off--from what I've read and seen, looks like Sturm, Ruger & Co. has worked out whatever 'kinks' might've existed in the 'SR series' early on...

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    The trigger on the 9mm SR9C sold me.
    I've put a lot of ammo through it. Good gun.

I like the gun so much I'm thinking about buying a spare.
    I could use another 40S&W, so I'm thinking about getting the next SRC in 40.

The only thing I have against Rugers is the magazines are too costly.

4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Nice guns. I have a buddy with the 2 tone 9 and another with the 40.

5. ceverhart

ceverhart

Dec 26, 2011
    I really like my sr9c..... only have about 200 rds thru it so far with no failures.

6. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
  7. Schrag4

Schrag4

May 21, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Count me in as another who thinks it's a good gun for the money. My SR9c has been reliable and I love the trigger - I shoot it pretty well. I admit that it isn't built with the same quality as a $500 gun, but you can probably find one slightly used for $350 or perhaps even less.

Definitely get your hands on one first - it might not be for you. The recoil spring is very stiff on the SR9c compared to other auto's I've used, but my wife can operate it so it's not that bad, it just takes a little getting used to.

One more thing - if you end up with one, you will probably be bitten at least twice - once when you slam home a mag and your palm gets pinched between the relatively short grip and the 17 round mag adapter sleeve, and once when you rack the slide and run your fingertips and/or palm over the frame-mounted safety (that thing is small and a little sharp). The pain will help you learn to avoid doing it again through :tongueout:

8. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    Is their stainless good quality or is the black the better way to go?

9. Taphius

Taphius

Sep 26, 2011
    Las Vegas
    good little guns with good ergos, and can be had for under $400. So great values

10. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Jan 8, 2004
    Southern IN
    My SR9c is a great little shooter. And a good little carry piece.

I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone............ In my opinion, they are worth more than what you will pay for one.

But, like M2 has pointed out, extra mags are not bargain priced.

11. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Jan 8, 2004
    Southern IN
    I only have experience with the stainless version. No problems with it so far.......

12. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    Is the safety easy to use? It looks pretty far back on the frame.

13. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Dec 26, 2011
    I absolutely love my SR9c. The safety was a concern of mine at first but it's a very positive engagement and it is easy to sweep up and down for me without moving my grip at all.

The trigger is outstanding, the adjustable sights are great, it shoots awesome, and it just works.

But yeah if you're a magazine hoarder and/or you need a lot of accessories and stuff then this gun will disappoint you.

Here is a review I made of my SR9c (no, I am not Michael Jackson):
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxfwZlkxbs0"]Ruger SR9c Review - YouTube[/ame]

And a video comparing G26 gen4 to SR9c:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7LHOUKhCWM"]Ruger SR9c & Glock 26 Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I like them. The trigger isn't the best, but works OK.

15. G19ftw

G19ftw

Dec 28, 2009
    Wake Forest, NC
    I had an SR9 with an awful, and I mean awful trigger. I tried everything to fix it. I ended up just selling it at a loss, and I don't miss it one bit.

16. bogeypro

bogeypro

Dec 18, 2009
    I can't say enough good things about my SR9c. I sold my 9mm colt new agent for one and I do not regret it one bit. I like the SR9c better than the full size SR9 -l the trigger is better, recoil seems better to me (maybe the dual spring?), it is easier to conceal, and holds both magazines.

17. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Dec 19, 2000
    I shot a brand new SR9 today.
    My buddy got it for xmas.

I'm sorry but imho, compared to a glock, it is a major pos.
    The one I shot had several fail to extract malfunctions. Fired cartridges
    would not be extracted from the chamber. Sometimes the gun would double feed.
    The gun shot several inches high at 10yds also.
    The trigger is beyond terrible. Several times it would not reset and you can
    feel a hitch in it as it cocks.
    Grip is great however.

Feel free to flame away but I would never touch one.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  18. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Dec 26, 2011
    Did you buddy bother to clean the gun before he shot it? That makes a huge difference. Also cleaning the striker channel is a must.

The SR9 and SR9c are two different guns. The SR9c is a much better gun...I see no reason to buy a full size SR but I do really think the SR9c will continue to be a great, popular gun.

19. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Dec 19, 2000
    Don't think so but the gun was clean out of the box.