close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thoughts on surplus GI mags?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bigmoney890, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

M16 in '84 courtesy of some "polite gentlemen" on Parris Island, SC.

First AR in '91-92 when my LGS had ALL of 3 flavors; Colt, Bushmaster, and possibly Olympic Arms (?)

I went with a Colt "LW Sporter" for about $519 + Kentucky sales tax.

Wow. That said, I feel really old.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Yep,......old school, old dirt. :cool:

3. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. Back in the day, the WWW was scant with reviews so I was always keen to look for items that DoD trashed (i.e. Sanchez brand M16 mags and some companies for the M9 9mm mags).

Prior to anything synthetic, Labelle was known as the "King" of reliable AR15/M16 mags and were not more expensive (if at all) than some other so-so contractor's offerings.

As for PMags, they are constructed quite well and possibly over-engineered like true AK steel mags, which suits me just fine.

And being less than low-drag-high-speed, the LAST thing I need is to have a defective AR mag when my 200-meter paper target decides to go all rogue on me at the range!
    :supergrin:

4. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

Roger that.

5. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

All of the magazines I picked up today were marked 09/04.
    I presume they were all made as the ban expired, but they are still marked Gov't/LE use only.

6. John Biltz

John Biltz
    Expand Collapse

Depends on how used they are. GIs are really good at breaking things. It also depends on how you are planning on using them. For range work? Sure, why not. Personally, I think PMAGs are cheap and a quality product so its what I buy.

7. FatBoy

FatBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

The last new "GI" mags I bought were $90/10 shipped(currently OOS), and DSG has PMags for $100/10 +shipping this week. Just sayin'.
    http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DSGHOLIDAYPK1.aspx

ETA: Copes has $90/10 D&H w/ MagPul followers Free ship this week http://www.copesdistributing.net/black-friday-pack-ar15-30rd-wmagpul-follower-black-p-5733.html

#27 FatBoy, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  8. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

I stand corrected, 2 of the 3 mags i picked up are marked 07/04, but all 3 are marked Gov't/LE use only

The GI mags are for range use only

I've been looking around and have seen the 10 pack on dsgarms.com, but I'd rather just pay the $12 for pmags than the $10 for GI mags. That's just a personal preference. But at $7 a piece for the used GI mags I found, it's about half the price of shipped PMAGs and they are all in good shape.

9. wwcadre

wwcadre
    Expand Collapse

I have about 70 GI surplus mags. Most of them were used and just given to me. I changed all the springs and followers with new ones and have yet to have a problem with any of them.

That being said, I am very impressed with the Pmags and Troy battle mags. I think they are a vast improvement in design and function. I will probably pick up a few, 20 or so, of them to add to my stash. Im kind of a magazine horder.

10. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

Well I have no doubt that the old GI mags will function fine.

The pre-ban I got from my parents functioned fine on sunday and i'm about to head out to the range again and I shall test the ones I got on monday. If they function fine then i'm good to go, if not, i'll change out the followers and then run them.