close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Thoughts on Stevens (Savage Arms) M350 Pump

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Jade Falcon, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Aug 2, 2004
    Vancouver, WA.
    Hi everyone.

I'm thinking that my next purchase is going to be a HD shotgun for my small apartment. I'm on a tight budget, and this purchase would be only when my finances are in proper order. However, since I am on a budget, I'm looking for a reliable, inexpensive, yet effective shotty for defense. Preferrably, no more than $300.00.

I've recently seen the advertisements for the Stevens M350 in the gun-magazines, and I've just looked at their website, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with one of these? If so, what are they like?

[​IMG]

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Its a Ithaca 37 clone made in China. I shot one and checked a few different ones at the LGS...they all had really heavy triggers. I also never cared for the bottom ejection.

If your on a budget, I would also look at the Maverick 88 and H&R Pardner pump if you want to buy new. If your open to used then look into Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's.

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Aug 2, 2004
    Vancouver, WA.
    Thanks; this would be a new purchase, not a used one.

4. Your welcome. I would seriously look at the Maverick 88's. Buds has them for $199 for either the 18.5" or 20" barrel models. They are basically a Mossberg 500 with a crossbolt safety instead of on the tang.

5. Should be able to get a Mossberg 500 for around $250.

6. jjslice

jjslice

May 23, 2008
    I've had both a Stevens 350 with a Mossberg 88. The Mossberg 88 hands down is better IMO. It weighs less, smoother action and the trigger isn't as gritty and heavy

7. Don't automatically dis the used guns, particularly shotguns. You can often find really good guns at greatly reduced prices.

8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Aug 2, 2004
    Vancouver, WA.
    Fair enough. I'll leave the floor open for a used one, but preferrably, I'd like to buy new. In terms of used, there are two shotguns I'd consider:

-Mossberg 590A1
    -Old-school Police Remington (or other brands) with the wood stock and foregrip.

Thanks for the input folks.

9. jason.223

jason.223

Feb 2, 2007
    az
    I picked up a stevens 350 about week ago at BIG 5. Just got home from shooting the gun. 75 rounds of shot, buckshot and slugs. The gun worked great I really like it. I also like the fact that it is all steel gun. For the price I took a chance...seem like a great deal now. I had a moss. 500 plastic trigger housing break leaving the gun usless. I am sure I will put alot more rounds thru that gun soon. I will keep you guys up dated

Jason

10. buddah

buddah

Oct 3, 2004
    If the Savage is an ithaca clone, does anyone know how to tinker with this gun to make it slam-fire? I always thought it bwas the coolest feature on the old ithaca 37. On that same note someone(weekend gunsmith) on this board must have a simple "you tube" fix for that heavy trigger. We know how Gt'ers love to come up w/do it yourself post and threads.

11. Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  12. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Aug 2, 2004
    Vancouver, WA.
  13. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I would buy one from Buds - shipping included -

I would JUMP on the 20 inch 8 shot model. :cool:

Think about it this way.

You pay $200 to Buds + $25 to your FFE

You keep the gun for 3 years and shoot 2,500 rounds

Decide you want a different gun.

You could easily sell / trade the Maverick 20 inch barrel 8 shoot gun and get $125 for it.

But my guess - you will like shooting it so much you will never sell it.

IMHO the Maverick the best value in a HD 12 gauge pump shotgun.

You will have a much harder time selling a Chinese knock off -

If you are really wanting a deal - check out Walmart - mine has the Maverick with a longer barrel on sale all the time for $169 + tax.

I used a 28" barrel Winchester pump as my HD gun for 25 years - no doubt it will get the job done.

In fact I just did a detail cleaning on the Winchester 120 Ranger - 28" barrel - put a new mag spring in & installed the IC choke - loaded with reduced recoil slugs - it sits in the safe beside my Remington 870 -. :supergrin:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37_871

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Aug 2, 2004
    Vancouver, WA.
    I have a Winchester M1400 with a 28" barrel, and it's just WAY too big for my small apartment. Standing on it's butt, it comes up to my collarbone; that's how long the barrel is. I need something shorter. I am open to those hi-cap 20" barrelled models, but I like the 18-18.5" models better. Thanks for the link!

15. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    [​IMG]

16. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Aug 2, 2004
    Vancouver, WA.
    I'm holding it for someone until I get paid for a gun I gave him for his job, and I highly doubt he'd enjoy me sawing off the barrel of his gun, lol.

17. jason.223

jason.223

Feb 2, 2007
    az
    50 more rounds threw my Stevens 350 today. Pick one up it's a great shotgun!

Jason