Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Thoughts on Sig 226 9mm?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by harleygsb, Jul 3, 2012.

1. harleygsb

May 18, 2012
    What are the pros and cons to the Sig 226 as a home and camping defensive weapon as compared to the G17? At this point, I am sticking the 9mm as my caliber of choice.
  2. Fordtough25

Jan 25, 2011
    I've been asking myself the same question! I held a new P226 last week at my LGS and I love it, spendy though at $900. I have several full size 9mm's already, G17, Beretta 92FS, M&P 9, but I still want a 226. I'm looking forward to responses as well!

3. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    I own 5 Sigs. Have owned 3 others. I have never had a malfunction with any. I have not owned or shot a 226, the models I am familiar with are 229 in 9mm and 40/357, 239 in 9 and 40/357, P220 45 and P245 45. If you get a 226 you will very likely love it.
  4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Both are excellent pistols. Which one, fits your hand and which one, do you shoot better with?

5. 257 roberts

257 roberts

Mar 18, 2012
    I have a 1991 Sig 226,they are great guns!!its just what platform do you want to get used to,for some the double-action first shot is an issue
  6. plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    The 226 is a fantastic handgun, but compared to a G17 there aren't any advantages I can think of unless you like DA/SA. It's really personal preference since both are great.
  7. bear62

Feb 5, 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    I would go with the G17...... It's the real deal and not so pricey.....
  8. bunk22

May 25, 2009
    I've got a Sig 226 Navy and a Sig 2022, both are great IMO. The 226 is often next to my bed with a tactical flash light and Mec-Gar mag with 20 +1 of Speer God Dot 124gr p+ rounds. I use my G17 as well but if I go outdoors, to the beach and what not, I use my G17. The G17 is lighter and slightly smaller. I don't think you can go wrong with either so it's personal preference. To be honest, which would I take? I love both brands but I would take the G17 or if I had to have a SIG, a 2022...priced right for under 400 bucks.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  9. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

Feb 6, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    sig vs glock. Very similar but very different.

They both have a safetyless design, so you can pull and shoot. However, with a Sig, the first pull will be longer and heavier, followed by light short pullsl. This can either be a big minus if your not trained, or IMO, one of the best designs for a combat pistol. I LOVE DA/SA. IMO, if you are trained on it, it is perfect.

Where, with a glock, it is a consistant trigger pull. Its almost like asking a baseball players what batting stance to use. Youll get 15 different answers from 30 different players. I use a Glock 21sf at my apt, and at my parents house which I stay a few times a week, I use a cz75bd(poor mans sig. All metal, hammer fired, no safety with a decocker, just like a sig). It just depends on which you would rather have.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  10. Comedian

Aug 3, 2010
    The Sig P226 is one of my all time favorite pistols. I have sold a few, but i always end up owning one again. I can't stay away for too long, since i end up jonesing for one. You can find lots of low priced "certified pre owned" Sig P226 9mm's on Gunbroker. All in the $600 range. Thats the route i would go. I have owned a bunch of different model Sig's and have never had one malfunction in any of them. They are super reliable and very accurate pistols. And very soft shooting in 9mm.
  11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Whichever one you shoot better would probably be the best choice. That said, the Glock will probably be a bit less expensive and possibly a bit less expensive to repair if necessary if for no reason that there appear to be more Glock armorers than Sig armorers.
  12. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    I really enjoy my P226 and it has never failed to work "correctly" but it did shoot low from the factory (Ni plating locking block issue). The SIG custom shop went through the gun and it has been my favorite since then (again never a failure to work).
  13. MLittle

Jun 24, 2010
    Some find the stock "thick" and the reach to the trigger (in first/double action pull) may be too long if you have medium or small hands. You can do things the reduce the grip such as going with Hogue G10 grips. After the first shot, the following single action shots are easier since the trigger moves back in the trigger guard. Of course the Sig is heavier than the Glock 17 having an aluminum frame vs polymer. But, to me....Sigs are the cadillacs of semi auto pistols. Most would say they are more accurate than Glocks and mine has never had any kind of issue......been 100% reliable with over 3,000 rounds. I know some folks carry the P226, but to me it's too large and heavy. I think it would be a great home defense pistol.....
  14. dbak

Jun 22, 2012
    charlotte nc
    Bought one about 3 months ago.. not one hiccup I will never ever ever get rid of this gun. My wife even likes it more then my glock.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  15. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I love mine, Sig makes great guns.
  16. KiltedSoule

KiltedSoule Got Haggis?

Jun 21, 2011
    South Carolina
    Best advice, shoot both and buy the one most comfortable to you! I love my P226, she's not the "prettiest" these days, but has yet to fail for any reason!
  17. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Great pistol, but completely different than a Glock.
  18. Bro KV

Bro KV

May 9, 2012
    I prefer the 220 over the 226. Single stack 45 over double stack 9. If I have to choose one I'll take the 228.
  19. The CPO route is worth a look! I have a 239 in .40 and a 229 in .40 that were both CPO and they run like new.
  20. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    DA/SA transition=more training.

The 226/228 have a long history with the government, and they're a good design.

American production in the last five or so years though has made their QC go to crap. Thus the "German" designation model...... Sig-Sauer and SIG USA are 'not' quite the same.