Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Thoughts on Colt?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by MattyIce, May 11, 2012.

1. MattyIce

Jan 17, 2012
    Alpharetta, GA
    Alright GT, I'm thinking about picking up a new 1911. My budget is about $1000 and would like to stay under that. I have really taken a liking to the Colt XSE in stainless steel. What are your thoughts?......Go.
  2. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Apr 8, 2004
    SWPA sticks
    Nice gun, not a series 70 though.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I like Colts. Both because they churn out decent stuff's Colt.

I personally don't like all the geegaw that is on the XSE. However, I do have a Lightweight Commander XSE that I bought because I wanted a lightweight Commander and the XSE was the only one available at the local gun shop. I have zero patience and serious impulse buy issues.

It shoots well enough but the trigger is a tad heavier and doesn't break very cleanly. It does seem to get better with more rounds fired through it. I had issues with low point of impact across several different ammunition. A new rear sight fixed it.

The full size Government Models of the same production years that I bought didn't have low point of impact issues.

Anyway, the ambidextrous safety is rather flimsy and cheesy on the XSE. I replaced mine with a left-side-only safety.

Personally, I prefer the standard Government Model without all the weird stuff on it.
  4. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Eh, if you're going to get a Colt, go with a Series 70.

Otherwise take that $1000 and pick up an STI Trojan. :cool:

5. unless you have to have a Colt...there may be better 2005 made XSE Government has many sharp edges, loose front and rear sights and the duck bill grip safety many despise for whatever reason...

I send my 1911 pattern pistols out for work so mine shoots great and is 100% reliable, the sights were fixed with Lock-Tite...I just live with the sharp edges and the duck bill doesn't bother me a bit...YMMV...

Good luck with your choice...

6. Lowjiber

Jan 26, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I only own one Colt 1911...a Gold Cup. I love it.
  7. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    The only experience I have had with Colt is I owned a Colt 1991A1 for a minute, I didn't like the short grip safety nor the spur hammer. Also I used to own a Kimber Classic Stainless and it out shot a Colt Gold Cup:supergrin:
  8. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    In general, I think they are way behind the curve in the 1911 market and like many companies (Smith, some Remington), they're riding on their name. I'm talking about the new ones, here... sloppy fit on the grip safeties, generally poor slide to frame fit, no frontstrap checkering of any kind, firing pin safety, et cetera.

A good friend of mine was a through and through Colt guy. If it didn't have the pony on it, he wasn't interested. His rail gun is currently at the smith for the second time getting all Ed Brown parts put in as he's had 2 MIM parts break on him during a course of fire. Not to get into the MIM discussion - I compete with a TRP loaded with MIM parts. Anyway, he's going to buy a Wilson and has said to me on several occasions that now that his rail gun has a couple thousand bucks into it, he should have started off with a Brown or Wilson to begin with.

I'd have to agree with Brian and say go STI for a thousand bucks.
  9. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Older Gold Cups are a horse of a different color.

10. ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Love my Series 70 and Series 80 Combat Commander.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    So...he spent three thousand bucks on a Colt to make it the equal of a $3000 Brown or Wilson...:dunno:

Yes, if he were to spend that much money then he should have already bought a Baer/Wilson/Brown/name-your-smith. I don't see the point of buying a lesser gun and then dump thousands of dollars into it to make it into a gun that you can just buy already made with high degree of fit & finish and features.

I don't see the problem here. You pay for what you get. A $1000 Colt isn't going to be as good as a $3000 Wilson, or a $1700 Dan Wesson.
  12. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    After I bought my Springfield Armory RO, all I think in 1911s is SA and I have Colts.
  13. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City

Maybe I was confusing in how I wrote that. The price of his rail gun - whatever it was... a thousand, twelve hundred... and with new parts and having it tuned up he's now got a couple thousand total into it. Easily in Les Baer range and damn close to Ed Brown range.
  14. majette

May 1, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Springfield Armory
  15. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
  16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    Exactly my point.

If you want a pretty gun with all the nice handfitting, it's gonna cost. You can either buy directly from a brand that comes like that at higher price, or you buy a base gun and build it up.

I personally don't see why I would buy a Colt and then send it out for a makeover. Might as well buy the more expensive one and call it a day. It's like buying a Mustang and then send it to Saleen for tuning where you can buy a Saleen Mustang with all the stuff already in it.
  17. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I agree with you. Point is I don't think his blind devotion to the prancing pony allowed him to see what they've become. Now he gets it.
  18. CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    I like my Colts. The Series 80 is a neccessity for me since that is what work requires. If I had it my way I would probably gotten a Springfield Loaded just so I can pick up extra mags super cheap with the coupon that comes with them. For most user you could probably go down to your dealer and pick up a Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Smith, and maybe even Sig these days and be perfectly happy with any of them.
  19. I have a series 70 Government model full size, blued. Love it. The bluing is glossy and beautiful, the fit and finish is great (except for the slightly off center recoil spring tunnel).

It rattles a bit when I shake it, and that's fine. I've never subscribed to the belief that a 1911 needs to be super tight. Maybe they're accurate that way but I don't think reliability is synonymous with no play.
    The gun has no sharp edges anywhere, but the hammer bites me but that's the design of a GI style gun, not the gun's flaw.

In Canada, you can buy a brand new forged steel Norinco GI for 325 dollars complete. With that you get an apparently great barrel that feeds hollow points with ease, and is decently accurate (not a competition gun but...). I was thinking to go that route, drop 1000 into it and see what comes out. No MIM, all "tool steel".
    If you find a Norinco on the used market, you could always go that route. But I love my Colt, you do pay for the name but that's true of any high quality good I can think of, doesn't mean they're not high quality.
  20. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    The best made 1911s I own are Colt's. By all means, get a Series '70. They are right at the price you mention.

I shoot my Springfield a lot more than the Colt's guns. But, they are really a pleasure to behold. They are both (100 yr. Series 70 and Gold Cup Series 70) 100% in the function department. They do need some serious de-horning, however.

My other 1911 is a Ruger. It doesn't compare favorably to the Colt's or Springfield guns.