close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thoughts...H3 or Toyota Sequoia

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 757CC, Nov 29, 2012.

1. 757CC

757CC

Background...I have a commuter car for getting to and from work that gets in the low 30's mpg. About a year ago I sold my explorer as it began to become a money pit. I'm active and spend a lot of time outdoors with my dogs, on the boat, jet skis, etc. I am in the market for a SUV...pretty much have it narrowed down to two vehicles that I have checked out and test drove.

1. 2006 Hummer H3 - 49,500 miles original owner. Leather heated seats, sunroof. $14,500 ish

2. 2004 Toyota Sequoia 101,000 miles. Original owner. I know the owner and he is meticulous with this maintenance. $10,500

Anyone...

2. Restless28

Restless28

JMHO, but all civilian Hummers have the ghey.

3. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Hummer doesn't exist as a company anymore, parts could become harder to find as time goes on. Toyota is known for quality, I would go with that between those two.

4. JMS

JMS 02

I'm partial to Toyota's as that is all we have bought (Toyota/Lexus) since 1984. Make sure the ball joint recall has been addressed on the Sequoia.

5. happy seal

happy seal

Hummers are complete garbage. If you want to throw money at a POS and never be able to sell it later than go ahead and buy it.
    Toyota will run nearly flawlessly if not perfect and resell for excellent value.
    Your choice!

6. RenoF250

RenoF250

I agree. Packed with the ghey.

7. JDennis

JDennis

Even though I am a employee of nissan, go for the sequoia. A H3 is a gloried trailblazer with the same problems plus some. If going domestic you would be better off with a Tahoe or Expedition with less problems, better resale and similar price.

8. jpa

jpa CLM

This. The H3 is identical to the Trailblazer structurally and mechanically. It just has a boxy body, which parts for it are going to get very scarce. Someone on here posted a thread about problems finding parts for his Saturn Sky or Pontiac Solstice. Stay away from the discontinued models/brands.

Irregardless, I'd take a Toyota over a GM product any day, regardless of mileage. They are irresputibly the superior brand. I expect an influcks of comments expressing agreeance.

9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I'd look for a 4Runner.

10. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

The H3 is actually built on the Colorado/Canyon platform, not the Tailblazer, not that it's any better. I'm a big GM fan and own two Chevrolet's but I would still pick the Sequoia over the H3 in this situation.

11. nursetim

nursetim

I vote for the sequoia.

12. Resqu2

Resqu2

Toyota, the 4Runner was a good suggestion someone had unless you just need more towing ability.

13. Viper16

Viper16

Sequoia is the way to go. Solid Performer in my opinion.

14. clancy

clancy

As someone else posted, the H3 is built of the Colorado platform. While working at a Chevy dealership I seriously considered buying a Colorado. After speaking with several GM certified mechanics about the many and varied issues with the Colorado's design, I decided not to. They have an even lower opionion of the Hummer. Even the salesmen I spoke to think the Colorado and H3 are crap.

When a car salesman says he feels guilty when he sells an H3 to a customer, that says a lot about the piss poor quality of the vehicle. There is a reason they are no longer made.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  15. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Toyota for the win...but to be accurate, the H3 has the same inline 5 cyl (3.7) that the Colorado/Canyon platform has as already mentioned. The Trailblazer/Envoy have the 4.2 inline 6 cyl that is actually a solid motor except for a notiorious fan clutch issue that plagued the trailblazer for years.

The H3 is pretty capable off road, but you need to be 5'6" and have a co-pilot to see behind you. Terrible visibility.
    The sequoia probably has the 4.7v8 and is essentially a Tahoe with a little more storage. Solid truck, mediocre mileage.

I would buy the Sequoia for many reasons...comfort, quality, reliability, parts availability (mentioned)...but knowing the maintenance has been done should make this decision a no brainier.

16. meathead19

meathead19

If he hasn't replaced the timining belt/water pump on the Sequoia, it's time or getting real close.

Looking at a grand or so.

17. glockaddiction

glockaddiction punching holes

Toyota and never look back. In the family we have a 1996 corolla with 268,000 miles. Oil change every 3,000 only things replaced have been brakes, tires, tire rods and valve cover gasket. A 1998 sienna with 181,000 that is supercharged and a 75hp shot of nos. The oil changed every 3,000 on it too. Only things changed on it is tires, brakes, spark plugs, and timing belt. It runs as smooth as the day it was bought but faster. Had a 1986 van that we sold in 2002 that had 534,000 on it with original motor and trans.

18. Viper16

Viper16

I can not believe they used a belt for so long. I would have assumed it was a chain. Wow! Looks like they switched to chain in 2010-Current.

this reminds me that I need my car's belt/water pump changed out...sigh!

Viper:wavey:

19. meathead19

meathead19

Yep....and when they snap/break in these, it ain't good.

20. gatorboy

gatorboy

You've got three main options for a true BOF (body on frame) SUV. The Nissan Xterra, Toyota FJ and the various Jeep Wrangler models. If you wanted a Jeep, you would have said so. Wrangler's are bumpy, loud and until very recently - underpowered. I'd look at the Xterra. If you want more luxury than it offers, realize most SUV's are not what they used to be and are unibody construction for more room inside and much less clearance underneath. Also, stay away from AWD. Get a true 4WD in case you want to actually go somewhere a 4WD is needed or if you want to lift it for larger tires, etc. AWD are for going to the mall where it's cold enough for snow and ice.