close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Those Who Shovel Food...Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by USMCsilver, Apr 20, 2012.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oh, hail thee, long time users of GT!

Remember my "foot dragger" thread and my preception that it's a direct correlation of work ethic?

I have the ever-so-wonderful opportunity to watch people eat on a daily basis. (Please note sarcasm.)

There are those who eat nice and proper, like they're supposed to do (as society would dictate) no matter whether or not they're eating spegetti, soup, or a bologna sandwich. Then, there's the others.

My question I submit to y'all, oh humble GTers is this:

Would someone's eating style, specifically the way they hold a utensil, be enough to pass judgement on one's character? :dunno:

Discuss. :popcorn:

2. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Character, no.

Manners, yes.

3. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Character Yes!

Manners Yes!

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Complete and total indicative factor as their quality as a human being? Yes, and yes. HH

5. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Nope and nope. Sometimes people just have their guard down and instincts take over.

My wife was an ER nurse for years and never got an actual break to have dinner. Her eating extremely fast will manifest when she is stressed out, just like she did all those years at the hospital.

My mother was 1 of 13 kids being raised in a 3 bedroom house with 15 people living in it. When she was growing up you ate as fast as you could to protect your portion and you never knew what/when the next meal would be. If you watched her eat you would think she just got out of a 30 year vacation in Guantanamo.

Both have fine character.

Washing your hands after you pee would be a better indicator :)

6. fusegsp

fusegsp

Nope. I work with a guy who eats like a starving wolverine. He eats very fast and nothing distracts him from the task at hand. I heard that before I worked there he was eating a sandwich so fast that he actually bit his own finger tip hard enough to draw blood. When he's not at the table he's a nice, clean, normal guy. I think he grew up poor in a big family.

7. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

The most despicable human I have ever known has the absolute worst table manners of anyone I've ever seen. The guy eats so fast it's embarrassing to be at a table with him. Plus, he smacks. He thinks it is so cool to walk around eating snacks, smacking. Eating with his mouth open, making more noise than a Japanese eating pasta. This guy is so despicable, that he knowingly and intentionally risks the health and lives of premature infants every day because he wants to surf the internet instead of doing his job.

But I wouldn't judge others based on that.

8. rilkil23

rilkil23

It is interesting to watch people eat. I used to watch our neighbors little boy He was adopted and would enter a trance type state when you sat him down with a plate of food, he would hold it with two hands and keep it close to his face. His adopted parents were working with him but it was obviously a survival instinct. Im big on manners so watching adults eat like pigs bothers me. I am sure i am guilty of breaking social graces so im not going to harp but certain things people do in public are just plain disgusting.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. fusegsp

fusegsp

Is that a Basset Hound in your avatar? You should be used to things that eat like pigs. I know, I have three of them.

10. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I don't think it is enough to judge a person on.

I often eat out at nice restaurants and can be well behaved. I even eat at formal dinners on a regular basis.

At work it is a different story. I chug my lunch because sometimes I have to.

When I eat good hot wings I need a hose to clean up with, I get so into the wings I lose myself in their deliciousness and primitive instincts take over.

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

12. Averageman

Averageman

I have eaten more meals standing in the rain, or on the hood of a Hum Vee to worry about my manners most of the time.
    However if I am not eating with plastic ware, I do like to take my time and enjoy it.

13. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

i just use a bear skin as a bib , and the femur bones sharpened on rock of a saber tooth tiger to dig into the raw orifices of the body cavity im consuming . i pay no mind to others while i feast /

14. bigchuck83

bigchuck83

i say nope, if i am rushed and need to get things done i will eat very fast otherwise i use proper table manners when possible.

15. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Sounds like a pretty faulty way of judging people to me.

More often, I find that the greater the effort a person puts into polishing their own visible exterior, the higher the chance that they have nothing of value on the inside.

I think it makes just as much sense to assume that bad table manners are indicative of a lack of concern for pretentiousness and the making of false impressions, which usually means greater honesty.

16. droidfire

droidfire

Maybe they have bad teeth or are missing some, embarrassed by it, and are cleverly distracting you from noticing that by focusing your attentions and thoughts elsewhere?

17. okie

okie GT Mayor

This:supergrin:

18. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I can judge how well a dog is trained based on how he eats...why not a person?

19. smokin762

smokin762

My sister and I joke around sometimes that we feel that we were raised by a pack of wolves when it comes to table manners as children. We both learned table manner’s eating dinner over at our friend’s house.

As adults, she made sure that her kids were raised with good table manners and I do the same with my daughter.

It drives me crazy when people talk and eat at the same time,when people chew with their mouth open and people that drag their fork across their teeth while eating.

About 20 years ago when I was in my 20’s, I asked out this really hot young lady I knew. I wanted to date her for a long time. Finally I worked up the nerve to ask her out. During dinner, she fired up a cigarette and was eating and smoking at the same time. I never dated her again. That was a turn off. :shakehead:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  20. Winds-of-change

Winds-of-change

I agree with both posters here. I think poor table manners mostly shows the lack of learning table manners when young. I have a friend who comes from a large family and I agree with Smokein. He thinks a teaspoon is a 'baby spoon' and a soup spoon is an 'adult spoon'. I am not kidding. This guy learned as a child whoever ate the fastest was more likely to get seconds as long as the supply lasted, which wasn't very long. He grew up in a family of 11 children..........9 of them boys. To watch him and his siblings eat together as adults is to watch a pack of wolves ripping at the carcass of a deer. Disgusting.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012