close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Those who have wells.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jack_Pine, Mar 19, 2013.

  1. HollowHead

    HollowHead Firm member

    24,415
    1,981
    May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    We haven't been on a well since '96. That was the year one of my idiot neighbors decided to bury a horse in his yard against county regulations and took out the entire aquafier supplying the subdivision. HH
     
  2. I've heard lore about that - how long does that supposedly last? I've heard for years but it rang BS to me.
     

  3. HarleyGuy

    HarleyGuy

    3,515
    227
    Mar 29, 2008
    As others have already stated, water levels and well depths will vary in different parts of the country.
    Our well is less than 60' deep and we've never experienced any problems since we've lived in this house.

    Water that is supplied via a well constantly circulates through the ground and even though we have filters for sediments, taste and odor, my wife has noticed a slight mineral odor (once or twice in 13 years) that usually only lasts a few days.

    I'd like to have access to a municipal water supply, but I'd never give up my own well.
     
  4. slick64

    slick64

    2,106
    81
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fort Worth
    I just had the pump replaced on my system a few weeks ago. Its down 384 ft. Never shocked it in 4+ yrs here.
     
  5. HandyMan Hugh

    HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

    3,133
    148
    May 17, 2002
    Hallstead, PA
    Water wells are usually contaminated by things from the surface. This can be from the initial drilling of the well, or from surface water working its way down along side of a loose casing. In some states now, ALL casings have to be grouted in to prevent surface contamination because of a poorly sealed casing. The contamination can be Soil Coliform Bacteria, Iron and Hydrogen Bacteria, or Fecal Coliforms (from barnyard runoff) and agricultural chemicals (from field runoff).

    Soil and Fecal Coliforms can make you ill. If you are very young, or old or have a weak immune system, Fecal Coliforms can be deadly. Iron and Hydrogen Bacteria consume minerals dissolved in the water and release (fart) Hydrogen Sulfide gas (rotten egg smell) into the well water.

    Have your well water tested for both chemical and bacterial contamination. Knowing exactly what you have to deal with is essential. Shocking a well with bleach will (if done right) sterilize the water, and the soil surrounding the water chamber from which you draw the water. The treatment will also sterilize the house piping and the water heater which most likely will also be contaminated.

    Have your water tested annually at first, and re-treat as needed. Once you "know" your well, testing intervals can be spaced out as neccessary. Sometimes, if the contamination was from the drilling of the well, and does not reoccur, you may not have to ever shock the well again.
     
  6. Rabid Rabbit

    Rabid Rabbit

    3,971
    318
    Nov 22, 2004
    If I had dead things in my well I'd get some kind of filter systems and a UV treatment.
     
  7. My county has an arrangement with a recycling company to haul dead livestock off if the farmer will drag it to the roadside and call to have it picked up. Failing that, buzzards will make short work of a dead steer etc just as they do a road kill deer.


    Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
     
  8. md2lgyk

    md2lgyk

    1,569
    34
    Mar 23, 2001
    WV
    I am on a well (about 700 feet deep). After it was drilled, the Health Department provided instructions on how to shock it before collecting a water sample to test. Never been shocked since then. We do have a UV purifier, but that's just because I wanted it.
     
  9. badge315

    badge315

    4,381
    489
    Aug 14, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    I have an artesian well with a continuous flow of 20psi, so I don't think I could shock it even if I wanted to. But it sure is nice having water pressure even when the power goes out.
     
  10. F_G

    F_G

    1,071
    73
    Jan 11, 2010
    Crown King, AZ
    This is actually backwards. Shallow wells are often under the influence of surface water and have a much higher propensity for bacterial contamination. Shocking a well is pretty much useless, it will only disinfect at that point and time (unless you're pouring chlorine down the well daily). And how do you control dosing? Most system contamination usually comes from the distribution system in a ground water system or a poorly designed wellhead protection. Your wellhead should be above grade, good cement seal tight around the casing. If you suspect bacterial contamination you should install a post chlorination system. Bacti tests are only $25, but they need to be drawn correctly to rule out any contamination at the point the sample is being taken.

    And if you are finding snakes and such around the pump intake, you really need to take a long hard look at your wellhead protection plan. Pouring chlorine down the well is only putting a bandaid on a much larger problem.
     
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  11. HollowHead

    HollowHead Firm member

    24,415
    1,981
    May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Don't know, as we all tapped into municiple. The line at the street was always there and insurance paid for the tap-in. HH
     
  12. HollowHead

    HollowHead Firm member

    24,415
    1,981
    May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Here, you have to arrange and pay for haulage to the county landfill and pay a disposal fee. You can also get a free permit from DEQ to bury on your own land if you meet their guidelines. HH
     
  13. Well that is exactly what my county health dept. inspector told me. Shallow wells are often under the influence of surface water and have a much higher propensity for bacterial contamination. That was the gist of my post.

    I have never shocked my well but was told I should. I was also told that better yet, install a post chlorination system. I have had the water tested, and it showed no bacterial contamination problems. Just the luck of the draw I supposed. The thing they did find though, is salt. I lived on a state route that was heavily salted in the winter and over the years that contaminated my well. We had a bottled water cooler/heater for drinking but used the well water for everything else. I can absolutely see how pouring a bunch of bleach down the well would cause problems on it's own and not really solve the overall problem.

    In the area I was in, 75 feet or more seemed to be the cutoff point where surface water would not be a problem. Wells hundreds of feet deep would in theory be OK.
     
  14. F_G

    F_G

    1,071
    73
    Jan 11, 2010
    Crown King, AZ
    You're right, I think I may have misinterpreted your post. Yes, usually, but not always deeper is better. Post chlorination is the way to go if you suspect any type of contamination. UV is good at the point of disinfection, but leaves no residual in the event of contamination further down the line. I have dealt with hundreds of wells and have never shocked one yet, but the systems I have worked on we installed some sort of post disinfection.
     
  15. Dennis in MA

    Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

    42,700
    2,811
    Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    We had a massive flood several years ago at the cabin. Tested the well after. Water was just fine.
     
  16. Kingarthurhk

    Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

    10,151
    1,279
    Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    I have the well filtered comming into the house, and filtered throught the fridge yet again. However, they do recommend putting an ammount of bleach through time to time and letting all the faucets and hoses run for a time until all the bleach is out.

    The septic tank is far enough from the well I am not worried. The only fecal contamination would come from the squirels. But, they get an occassional dose of lead poisoning when they get into the fruit trees or into the dog food. Which is ironic, because the dog turns them into dog food soon thereafter.

    No, I don't eat squirrel, but I know plenty of people who do. To me, they are just a fuzzy rat with a bigger tail.
     
  17. XshooterX

    XshooterX

    631
    0
    Oct 24, 2012