close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Those who conceal carry daily...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by speicher, Jan 29, 2012.

1. speicher

speicher

Jun 21, 2006
    OH.
    How many of you guys carry a full size pistol vs. compact/sub-compact?

In my opinion it comes down to weighing the pros and cons...more capacity & better ballistic performance OR more comfortable to carry and less capacity and decrease in ballistic performance.

I carry my G22 in a Raven Concealment Phantom, riding on a 5.11 Operator belt (1.75") I find it to be comfortable and concealable...but there are times when using a G27 would be much more convenient to "strap on and go".

2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    6+1 .45 sub-compact in a Remora in my front pocket with a spare mag in a nylon flashlight holster on my belt.

I'm fortunate that I can wear BDU's daily.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

3. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Dec 5, 2007
    Mount Eden, KY
    I found a pocket pistol was the only way I could make myself carry every single day and every single minute.

The size and weight of a standard polymer gun would start to bother me. So I would leave the gun in my car... a lot.

Started with a semi full size auto, dropped to a sub compact, to a heavy pocket gun, then down to a tiny polymer pocket gun.

When I feel inadequate with the pocket gun, I open carry a full size or sub compact. Sometimes using a cover garment.

If someone politely asks me to disarm, I can put my open carry away and still have my pocket pistol on me. Unless, the law specifically prohibits it.(court, and schools) Then I go naked.:embarassed:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

Apr 28, 2010
    CT
    It is impossible for me to conceal a full-size pistol. I've tried with my Glock 21 and M&P Pro... You can just see the massive bulge. Unless I have a coat on and don't plan on taking it off, it's compact/sub compact for me.

5. RYNOCG201

RYNOCG201

Nov 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Mostly compact here

Sent from my iPad

6. imjustron

imjustron

Nov 28, 2010
    Subcompact (G36 or G27) with spare mag all day every day.

7. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    compacts for me, in the last few years I only buy compact and sub.

8. aviator0402

aviator0402

Jun 12, 2009
    St. Luis
    I carry a G22 all day every day no problems. the trick is to dress around the gun.

9. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

Nov 26, 2010
    glock 23 for me.

10. IrishSheepdog54

IrishSheepdog54

Dec 11, 2011
    Chicago
    I carry any time I walk out of my house (off-duty LE in a major city). I carry a Glock 26 because it's a good balance for me between concealing and having a weapon that will be effective in a fight. I don't feel some of these tiny pocket guns will do me any good if SHTF. I carry a G19 on duty, and I can conceal it if I have to. But I'm a thin guy, so it does print a bit and it isn't as comfortable in my car.

11. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    For me it depends on weather, clothing, activity, and "acceptability" for the lack of a better word to use on a public forum.

My preferred is a 4" M1911 in .45
    If not wearing a jacket or coat, I go to a PPK .380 in my pocket
    If I need deep cover it is an LCP in .380 in one of several carry methods.

12. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

Aug 15, 2011
    midwest
    I will open carry my G21, but thats about it for full size. MY dan wesson bobtail .45 conceals easiest and I dont really mind the weight "good belt". I will also have no problems carrying the G19 or Sig P229 in IWB. I am only 5'7" and 140 lbs and the G19 is really the only gun that prints at all for me and thats only sitting down or leaning over.

Tim

13. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010
    Virginia
    Guns: I have the G23/27/30/36. I have a Smith and Wesson Model 627 4" 8 shot .357 and a Ruger LCR.

Holster:I use a Shielded Holster Phalanx. No issues concealing any. Comfortable. Well made.

Background: I've been concealed carrying for a short while. I started in Florida and then move to Virginia. Florida posed some challenges because of the heat and humidity. I had to change my style of clothing to accommodate for a full size or compact. I had snubbies, at time, or a 27, predominantly. Winter didn't last long. At times, I did carry my 1911 Government.

In Virginia, it is much colder for much longer. It's easy to conceal anything. Any size, any weight, with the proper holster. I have a large revolver, 4" barrel, that I have a holster being made for it (8 shot 357). I'm going to try it out. Cannot try carrying like that in Florida. I can in Virginia or Utah. For a quick grocery run (like a midnight run), or if I feel like a quicker draw is necessary depending upon where I am going, I'll pocket carry an LCR because I can have my hands in the pocket and the hand around the gun. In one motion, I can draw and fire. People have their hands in their pocket all the time. It is only a 5 shot. Im comfortable with that. Otherwise, in my Glock concealment system (Glock carried IWB) I'd have to pull from concealment, draw, and fire - IF EVER. It's all theoretical but one must be ready. Just don't be distracted on the iPhone or not looking around at your surroundings with keys not ready to open the door, etc. It's those people who are not situationally aware who get mugged. Most people I observed are texting or talking on the phone. Those are the easier targets. If you're looking around being aware of your surroundings and walk like you mean business, you're not as easy of a target.

My point is find a gun that you are most confident and adept shooting, stick with it, and find the best holster that fits you, your lifestyle and your comfort. I wouldn't recommend compromising carrying a smaller guys or capacity for comfort, unless that's a gun you absolutely feel good about carrying and shooting.

iPad/Tapatalk

14. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Nov 18, 2003
    Houston
    Sig P238 usually. Smith 60 or 431 other times, all pocket. On the 3 hours a year it gets cold here, Glock 33 or 30, or Colt Officers Model. P64 in fanny pack for the gym or exercise. (I like variety...)

15. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    I EDC/CC a G-20. Its both an art and a science.
    I shoot it better than anything else, though i will admit that after 15 years or so, I have heard good things about the subcompacts. I may try one. But the 29/30 is a no go, the grip just feels too short to me after almost 20 years with the g-21/20.

16. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Jul 23, 2004
    Israel
    Full size here. Used to carry a G19 until I got into competitive shooting. I learned to appreciate big bottomed guns. Conceal my CZ Phantom in a Remora, condition two.

17. HoldHard

HoldHard

Nov 28, 2008
    Motor City 'burbs
    G21 and two magazines on the opposite side.

Correct holster, mag pouches and clothing go a long way toward making what's on my belt disappear. Most people seeing any "buldge" will have no clue what it is.

HH

18. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Five inch 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM II on a Milt Sparks belt all day every day. I even manage to carry a spare mag and flashlight on the weak side.

Guess I am in the minority...............

19. 08GSWHITE

08GSWHITE

Jun 21, 2010
    SR9c in a crossbreed supertuck, 11 rounds of 9mm.

20. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I've tried full size, just can't conceal it to my satisfaction. I feel more than equipped with a P239 and a reload. If I can't get the job done with that I've got some serious issues.