close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Those Magpul Plastic Front/Rear Sights

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by USMCsilver, Jan 2, 2011.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    I just picked up the MOE M&P AR-22/15 and it has those "new" Magpul sights on it.

I'll admit, when I saw them coming to the market, I was excited; I'd never seen a pair in person until I got this rifle the other day.

While they seem somewhat secure and sturdy, I do see them being more fragile than traditional metal sights. Granted, of course metal is more sturdy, but I guess what I'm getting at here is -- are there any KNOWN PROBLEMS with these sights?

The sight post on the front sight just seems like its dying to snap right off is something were to get inbetween the winged guards...

So -- what say ye? Good/bad or decent for $100 for a pair of flip-up sights?

2. bug

bug

Feb 6, 2007
    They are ok I have a rear on my BCM, and a stock front.

It works good but I am with you seems like it might not take a licking and keep on ticking.

3. TheBelly

TheBelly

Jan 1, 2004
    I have a set on my spike's/ar performance 6.8 rifle. I thought the front sightpost was too wide, so I got a brownell's kit and put a thinner one. They seem to have fine accuracy.

4. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    My brother already broke one of the rear BUIS's, but Magpul did offer to replace it I believe.

I believe they are decent for the money.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  5. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I like them but still prefer my Midwest Industry (Troy style) BUIS. I run a piston AR now so I cant use plastic on the FSB anyway. If I were building a super light as possible AR I'd consider the Magpul MBUS for sure.

6. Broncbuster

Broncbuster Dying Breed

Jan 7, 2009
    Georgia USA
    I have a rear on my AR. Been great so far. Seems sturdy enough for general use.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Polymer is a very durable material. Ive had no problem w/ mine.

8. furioso2112

furioso2112

Dec 12, 2007
    OP seems to have the right opinion - yeah, they're going to break/scuff/melt faster than metal sights, but for a $100 set of back-up sights, made by a reputable company with a lot of great products, is your use likely to get into the "oh crap, not only has my optic/scope gone down, but now my back-ups are gone, too" scenario? That's the deciding factor. I use them on my competition AR, on which I also use a red dot on a QD mount and a scope on a QD mount. Between the 3 aiming items, I have spent about $1300. Plenty of people spend far more than that, but for what I use my guns for, I feel like I've spent about what I will ever get use out of. I have not wanted more expensive sights of any kind bad enough to buy them, although I certainly recognize and appreaciate them.

9. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Sounds like you need to use then for a while to get over your pre conceived ideas.
    Metal is stronger, but it would take a LOT of hard use/abuse to break the Mbus sights.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Indeed.

Again, I'm not calling them crap, they just seem more fragile than my ARMS #40's that I'm used to using.

Also, the front sight post still concerns me. I think I'll drop a metal one in there just to ease my concerns. I hate the idea of mine snapping off and then making it nearly impossible to get the remnants out in order to replace it.

I'm about to go run some rounds now through the little rifle:

[​IMG]

11. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    I'm a Magpul fan but those sights won't be on my carbines. They are overpriced for what they are, which are range toys, IMO. Give me metal. On the BCM I run the LMT rear with post front and standard Colt sights on the 6920. No plastic sights for me.

12. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    Here is a picture of the one my brother broke while putting it back on his AR15 the other day. He is sending it in to Magpul.

[​IMG]

Like I said, I think these are decent for the money, but I've never seen steel or aluminum break like that from being tightened too much on a rail. Not saying it can't happen, but obviously not as easily.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  13. MisterPX

MisterPX Guest

USMC, based upon the idea that they're getting used on a plinking rifle, they'll be fine. Heck, I've even got some for my range rifles. However, I personally won't run them on a "work" rifle.

14. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    I like the one I have. I'm buying a front one this week when I get a chance to order it. Polymer is pretty strong but not unbreakable. Just like metal, just depends on what material and how it's treated. My AR isn't used as much as it likes but still gets some dings, bangs and other stuff.

15. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    ME
    I have read/seen pics of the same type of issue from ppl "over" tightening them. That being said, I have a few on my ARs. Either as BU to my Aimpoints, or as range toys, but Troys F/R BUIS for my BCM middy.

FB

16. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    My confidence has increased.

I noticed today that my FSP was screwed way out and that allowed me to screw it in a lot so it doesn't appear to be just hangin' out there so far.

And, during my screwing session, I was humbled to find a metal FSP. Quite enthused, I was. :)

So -- I'm happy. I guess as long as I don't over-tighten, or drop my rifle and have the sight snag on something and have it break off backwards, I should be pretty much good-to-go!

17. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I dont see how over tightening causing the ear to break is the fault of the sight.

18. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Nobody said it was the sight's fault. I'm assuming Magpul is replacing it because they're a good company (and because it's $0.38 in material costs).

19. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    Neither do I. All it does is demonstrate how fragile these are in comparison to other materials, such as metal.

20. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    No plastic sites on my guns -EVER! Sorry old school! So my question - are they allowing these on Military used weapons? Not black ops folks regular military!:upeyes: