close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This will make you rethink about how effective the 22lr can be!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Armchair Commando, May 13, 2012.

1. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando
    Expand Collapse
    Long Range Guru

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6exXXsf5XII&feature=related"].22 LR CCI MINI-MAG 36 gr Ballistic Gel Test - YouTube[/ame]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando
    Expand Collapse
    Long Range Guru

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkOzr6cDx0&feature=g-vrec"].22LR LETHALITY - 300 Yard Ballistics Test - YouTube[/ame]

3. TSAX

TSAX
    Expand Collapse
    USAF Vet

Did he say 12 lbs squirrel :faint:

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCFn55Zxkc&feature=related"]Kung-Fu Squirrel - YouTube[/ame]

:50cal:

4. Rustin

Rustin
    Expand Collapse

I never doubted it!

That reminds me, I need a Ruger 10/22!

5. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

Good for small game but if your talking about SD, let's see some denim tests out of a rifle and the more commonly carried pistol. The .22lr can kill but I wouldn't want to be stuck with only that caliber as a SD option.

#5 Nakanokalronin, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando
    Expand Collapse
    Long Range Guru

Watch the 2nd video, At 300 yards it penetrates completely through 8 layers of denim and 4-5 inches of a roast.

7. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

To respond to the basic post: Yes, very impressive in general. For serious .22lr business and survival I use CCI Mini-mags and Stingers. I keep about 1000 of them on hand. My S&W M&P 15-22 really likes them.

Slightly deeper response: No, it doesn't make me rethink anything. I can show you how effective a toothpick CAN be. The bottom line is that it is not a sufficiently RELIABLE SD round. I defer to my classic "pig" experiment: Shoot 100 randomly walking/charging 150lb pigs with a Ruger Mk. III at say 25 feet. Timed shots, 2-3 max, no slow fire. Count how many stop advancing, and how many drop. There is your stopping/completely effective % ratings.

#7 Aceman, May 13, 2012
  8. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

That video along with this one. Though I personally carry nothing smaller than .38 sp.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGmwhXgV_xg"]Mouse Guns - YouTube[/ame]

9. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando
    Expand Collapse
    Long Range Guru

150lb pigs compared to a human, Hmm pigs are a lot tougher to kill not to mention penetration is a lot tougher. I've shot 6 wild boars with my 70lb mathews monster with 450 grain arrows and Magnus buzzcut broadheads and 5 of them i didn't even get a pass thru! My broadheads will penetrate much deeper and create much more blood loss than a SD round! That test is kinda pointless! And your going away from my topic, I never said it was a reliable SD round, I posted the videos to opens peoples eyes to what a 22lr is capable of!

#9 Armchair Commando, May 13, 2012
  10. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

"Effective" on what?

TheStreetKing, it might make YOU rethink how effective the 22lr can be. That's because you are confusing "Killing Power" with "Stopping Power."

11. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Botulism can be deadly too, but it and the .22 lack the stopping power I want in a self defense tool.

12. dakrat

dakrat
    Expand Collapse

great! now see the same ammo fired from a pocket .22 pistol..... unless you can conceal a .22LR rifle.

13. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando
    Expand Collapse
    Long Range Guru

Great! Another person who lacks reading comprehension. Go back to school or reread the original post!

14. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando
    Expand Collapse
    Long Range Guru

It does make me rethink how effective a 22lr can be at killing anything, For it to penetrate 8 layers of denim and 4-5 inches of flesh at 300 yards is pretty good!

15. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

Would you enlighten us peasants with this "Stopping Power"?

Where can we find them in scientific journals?

16. DonD

DonD
    Expand Collapse

I'll chime in with a little different twist. I recently got a Remington 597 and the range I use can't allow offhand shooting at other than the pistol berms due to downrange limitations. The 100 yd range has bench rests with railroad ties making a tunnel to keep shots from going outside the berms.

So, sighted in at 25 yds, it was amazing how much drop there is at 100. Shooting at 300 let alone 400 yds would be a real rainbow event.

I was disgusted with CCI Velocitors, claimed velocity is something like 1430 fps, they clocked 1260 across an Oehler Model 35 chronograph, just 30 fps faster than Remington bulk "WalMart" ammo and costs nearly 3X as much.

The Remington, however, has been a fantastic gun, the best $200 I've ever spent on a gun. Nearly 1000 rds through it, not a single bobble or choke, very accurate, decent trigger, doesn't get anywhere near as dirty from shooting as the Ruger 10/22 it replaced. Amazingly decent little factory mounted 3-9X scope on it.

For defensive purposes, a Ruger Mini 30 is my house gun and a Ruger SP101 my CCW gun.
    Don :supergrin:

#16 DonD, May 13, 2012
  17. MoCop

MoCop
    Expand Collapse

Not to say too much, but I have personally seen what a 22lr can do to a person (two, actually on a drive by). It wasn't pretty by any means and the dudes were out of the fight. Those little rounds can put a hurtin on someone.

#17 MoCop, May 13, 2012
  18. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

Does any LE agency issue 22lr pistols or rifles to officers other than for putting down a wounded animal? It's a neat cheap round that can work if it hits the right place but come on now. The guy in the video even makes fun of the gel test thinking everyone will go out and buy it as something fantastic for SD and if you didn't get that the first time, watch video #1 again.

The 22lr can do things but there are many many calibers that can do it better when it comes to defense. This dosn't take away from the fact that the 22lr can kill or wound, it's just that there are better choices.

#18 Nakanokalronin, May 13, 2012
  19. Sporaticus

Sporaticus
    Expand Collapse
    Aw sheet main

There was a thread on one of the sniper forums years ago where a member was testing the penetration of a .22 LR at distance. The results were very surprising.

20. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

I live fairly close to the school in Ohio that had the shooting with the loss of children's lives. .22 revolver.

Sad. Very sad indeed. But in real life the round worked.

I sat here wondering if I should write this but three high school kids died from this inferior round.

Talk all you want about it people. This wasn't a gel test.