close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

This officer is awesome!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by BSA70, May 18, 2011.

1. righteoushoot

righteoushoot Deluxe Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Not New York (N.E. OH)
    Thanks for sharing, that was a powerful story and an important lesson to us all.

It really hits home hearing it from his mouth, rather than a written interview.

18 and trying to snuff out a cop for some clothes. Unbelievable.

Last edited: May 18, 2011

2. USAFE7

USAFE7 Retired USAF-SP

Feb 5, 2011
    Alabama
    Outstanding job!!!!! He is what LE is all about.

3. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
  4. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

I saw that story and interview on tv before. That officer is an absolute warrior. I really liked the part that involved three contact shots to that scumbags head.

5. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Very glad to see the leo is okay.

Also, glad to see the bad guy is dead.

They should play videos of cops killing bad guys in jail 24/7.

6. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Jan 29, 2001
    In Existential Crisis
    Strong work!

Hope Officer Reston continues his recovery.

7. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    Agreed.

8. I agree. Not only did the officer do a hell of a job staying in the fight and staying alive, but he also saved the state of FL a fortune through not having to keep incarcerating this POS, etc.

9. You can just tell he has that positive attitude, that "I'm surviving this no matter what" and a "play to win" mentality......Kudos to him....One less POS BG roaming the earth.....

10. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    And the officer helped turn him around, in a fine example of community policing! :thumbsup:Right before putting another couple of rounds in his head. That's why they say "To protect and serve!"

Hope any of us in a similar situation have half the heart that guy has, just amazing.

Randy

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  11. Napalm561

Napalm561

Apr 21, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I agree. "Protect and Serve".
    Protecting the public while Serving some hot lead.
    A hell of an Officer and an inspiration. God definitely has a purpose for this warrior.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    You know something I just thought about.., I'm wondering how many "community members" were calling this "murder" because of how he ended the fight?

IGF

13. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    The original poster nailed it: Detective Reston is indeed an awesome cop.

Anyone who can spare 18 more minutes on the topic is invited to listen to his interview on the ProArms Podcast, in which he gives more details of this incident. It can be found at http://proarmspodcast.com/2010/03/14/047-ed-brown-and-jared-reston/.

Jared's interview begins at about 33:00 minutes in. It is introduced and concluded by show host Steve Denney, a retired police supervisor and SWAT cop. At the end, you'll hear Steve mention how well Jared did at his first IDPA match, some time after the shooting. I'll second that: Jared is an excellent shot.

Two points not on the podcast or the interview linked by the poster. One is that having a TLR-1 light attached to his Glock 22 created a "standoff effect" that undoubtedly kept his autoloader from going out of battery and jamming during the three final, rapid shots at press-contact distance. This may be useful for officers on Cop Talk who are still having difficulty getting approval for light-mounted pistols on patrol. Another is that Jared has since survived another fatal OIS, also ruled justifiable.

Any instructors here are welcome to use his comments on the ProArms Podcast interview for training purposes.

14. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
  15. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Dec 13, 2004
    The Rock of Eternity
    Great job, sir!

And people wonder why we react negatively when they "just" disobey verbal commands, or "just" pull away from us, or "just" place/keep their hands in their pockets after being ordered to remove them. I'll be posting this video a lot in the near future as a response to alleged "brutality" when these whiners complain about an officer going hands on when they didn't feel it was justified.

16. John43

John43

Sep 9, 2010
    Murrells Inlet SC
    Great job officer! We hope you recover completely and glad you had body armor.