close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This Just In From Glock: 0-4-2 RSA for Gen4 G19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JBarbaresi, Jul 13, 2011.

1. mcha

mcha

When I was at Glock they explained to to that the 9MM was build on the 40 platform. And when I think about it they use the same 18lb recoil spring in it and its the same frame and they said these guns were not made to be range guns that they need high power ammo run thru them. For me I still think the 9mm should be able to run 115 grain. So when I got my single spring recoil spring I got the 15lb. When I go to the range to plink I throw in the 15lb when I go home I put the 18lb with the high power ammo and throw it in my night stand. I only takes about 30 seconds to change it out. and it works great for me no brass to the face!!

Mdc

2. FMMFL

FMMFL

Just checking in to see if this took care of your issues.

I have been researching for about a month now while preparing to buy my first Glock. I originally was set on the Gen4 G19 but after reading about all the issues decided I'd go with the 26 instead. But now it sounds like there's yet another form of hope for the 19.

3. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Not trying to hi-jack the thread or anything, but when the hell did Glock get so confusing. I remember in the 3rd gen and down it was "buy a Glock, shot the hell out of it, clean if you want...."

4. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

no the spring hasn't helped with the erratic ejections but i had good results yesterday after reprofiling the tip of my ejector. i've tweaked another one and will be giving it a run later today, i have a good feeling it will be a success.

about the same time the gen3 9mm started having the same issues, early 2010.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. ck1

ck1 Some Dude

The sad fact of the matter is that Glock makes the lion's share of their profits from the guys who buy their guns based on the Glock brand's "halo-effect" which has been well established from years of seeing them in LEO holsters and in movies and such...

IMO, the main problem with Gen4 guns lies with casual shooters and/or newbies who post how awesome and rock solid their new Gen4 is after it's made it through a whopping 100rds without a malf, and of course, the kool-aid drinkers who're just flat out in denial and want to talk BS like weak ammo or limp-wristing, etc. As long as they sell, whether they work right or not, Glock will still be pushing them, they cost less to make and make the company more money, end of story.

The reason I think what I mentioned above is the real problem is that like most companies, Glock has finally discovered that slapping the "new and improved" label on a product generates sales, and at the same time they've taken steps to manufacture their product more cheaply (MIM extractors, etc.), and running clever interference to disguise some of their business-orientated moves, as an example (before someone brings up that the new RSA's must cost more to make than the older type), they now charge at least $50.00 more for Gen4's and by throwing in an extra magazine (that maybe costs them $1.00) the price-hike has been accepted as making perfect sense considering that extra mag and the Gen4 "advances".

Many guys like me who have first-hand experience with the older Glock models which would routinely go 10,000rds without error, shoot any type of ammo, were basically "cleaning-optional", and were responsible for the reputation Glock enjoys to this day can tell that the Gen4's are a different product than what they made/sold previously. Very literally, they don't make 'em like they used to...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  6. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

if you've been paying attention to anything lately you would know it is not just the gen4 models suffering in the "QC" department, just as many gen3s produced during the same time frame are having the exact same issues being reported, so to label gen4s as inferior and not mention the current issues accross the board is rather disingenuous.

i was an early gen4 g19 owner, i'm approaching 4,000 rounds without a malfunction. it is hands down my favorite gun i've ever owned. from the very beginning when other gen4 owners started reporting issues i never bought in to the whole "limpwristing or ammo" blame game that has been going on ever since. most of the malfunctions, in gen3 and gen4s, has been narrowed down to the extractor issue and are solved be replacing the extractor. i think even the "extractor fix" for erratic ejections is only a temporary cover up to the actual underlying problem, which i believe to be the ejector.

you can either avoid a problem gun by not buying a glock right now, regardless of generation or model, or you can go ahead and buy the gun knowing that the issues are minor and will eventually be worked out. last time i checked its a free country, so do what you like and don't worry about what anyone else does or doesn't do.

7. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  8. JBP55

JBP55

It appears to have one less coil on each spring.

9. Hunng

Hunng

Wow 0-4-3 already...i wonder who's testing these springs and finding fault for Glock to get a new one into circulation when the "old" one was just released.

10. majorwoo

majorwoo

Just got off the phone with Glock, I called to ask about the new 043 and extractor, as my Gen4 G19 still bounces brass off my head (Currently on a 041). I had called previously about the 042 and they didn't have any in stock and advised I call back. I bet their call volume is a lot higher today - the recording just spammed the option to leave a message and hardly ever played music.

They don't have the 043 or new extractor in Smyrna (surprise). He thinks they might in 2 weeks. This time I actually made them take my name/number and place an order for me and promise to call me. I never did get the 042 they told me they would have in a few weeks, but I also only called twice to check on it. Mine tends to launch brass on top of my head, not in my face so I've not found it as painful as some of you.

The rep couldn't tell me if they are replacing extractors and springs, or just one or the other. He ordered both new ones for me after taking my name/number/serial. He asked several times what model I had - which I found surprising as I thought these problems had been limited to the 19.

11. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

did he mention whether or not the new extractor and spring helped with his ejections at all?

12. Wickersham

Wickersham

Come on, even the fanboys have to admit the RSA revisions is getting somewhat ridiculous. At this rate they will be to 0-4-9 by Fall.

13. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

it seems like they are tweaking and renumbering every batch of springs being produced. if this is based off "customer" feedback i guess in a way that's a good thing, although like you said slightly ridiculous also. and as long as people keeping hounding glock with phone calls asking for new springs only to have the newest version (can't say that i blame them) glock will continue to assume there are still a lot of problems in the design.

14. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Just bought a nib g19 gen 4 last weekend with 042 rsa. Shot 400 rounds through it , 200 being powder puff loaded American eagle and monarchs , functioned 100% , not even brass flying in my face or anything. Will pop off another 400 to 500 this weekend

15. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

there's now a 5th updated spring for the gen4 19??? :wow:
    did glock do any pre-production testing on the gen4's at all? :dunno:

16. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

He has not been to the range with the 0-4-3 and new extractor yet.

Again to clarify, although I sincerely hope that Glock is going back to their old extractors, it's highly likely that they are sticking with MIM extractors and simply gave him one of the pre-MIM extractors out of the old stock they had on hand.

17. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

i read through that thread on THR from the link you posted in the other lone wolf extractor thread. it doesn't even look like he has tried the LWD extractor that he has sitting around. not that i can blame him, but i just found it a little silly to be complaining and disowning glock as much as he did when he never even mentions giving the LWD extractor a try, seeing as how it helped fix most people's issues. i definitely agree that glock's CS department could use some improvement, i think i got lucky with a replacement spring sooner because i was more adamant about calling them back and finally demanding to speak to the supervisor.

18. Wickersham

Wickersham

Agreed. Going back to the old design would be the proper thing to do, but imagine all the people calling to get them, especially considering the crappy extractors have been out for several years. They are probably just trying to keep him quiet by fixing his gun and hoping it all goes away. (Now they may secretly switch to the old design for future guns, but most people that have the **** version are probably stuck with them for now).

BTW, still not understanding the "extractor only goes to a certified armorer" policy. Surely they know Midway, Glockparts, Brownells, etc. sell them to the general public. More stupidity I guess in an attempt to weasel out of replacement parts as many won't go through the hassle to play that game.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  19. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

they probably don't want to contribute to warranty issues, i.e. people reinstalling the extractor plunger in backwards.

20. Hunng

Hunng

Yes, its a liability issue for Glock...thats what they told us in the armorers class.